Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaf springs

HujSgory

Country Flag
uk
Just wondering if anyone has tried these? Rear Leaf Spring With Fitting Kit Pair (7 Leaf) for TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.0L Diesel - 5 door - 1/1980 to 12/1990 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Certainly cheaper than all the branded foreign stuff, and its not like cart springs are exactly cutting edge technology so I'm thinking bang for buck its rather good value.

Anyone tried them out?

Cheers!

Anyone tried them out?

From the Devils own forge. They give a rock hard ride, Toyota didn't make the leaf springs a certain way for someone to make them with less features in their construction to be better. They should always have the original rubber bushes as the poly bushes only add to the appalling ride quality.

I think the OME ones are pretty much a copy of the OEM ones.
Why don't you have the originals overhauled, thats what i've done over the years but to do it right is a time consuming exercise but worth it in the end.

Steer clear of the milner kit the poly bushes are not so good and the ride is poor on these springs they are very old stock and there's much better out there to fit to your 60.

To refurbish your existing springs would give a better result than fitting these. Back in 2010 my 60 came with this kit and the original front springs would wipe the ass out these replacements.

My friends in Holland swear by the old man emu kit which was stated as the best driving 60 setup they had at the time.

Cheap is cheap and not sounding like a bird in this respect!

As others have said, not recommended. I know someone who fitted them and said it was a big mistake.

My 60 has OME and it is amazingly comfortable for leaf springs, especially compared with a 40 series. A Belgian friend who restores Cruisers has EFS on his and swears by them.

I have the OME light duty version as I dont have winch or bar work and only carry some camping gear. This is +200kg vs std and is perfect for me

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well if anyone knows if 78 springs fit I will have a pair before long that you can have.

They're a bit too long in length for the older ones. But I do have a pair of Eibach parabolic rear springs for a 78 series which I bought along with the 78 rear axle to replace the 80 series rear axle which was way too wide to keep on my 45 project!.

The fella who I bought them off said they are uprated to carry additional weight. They look like a set of springs off a sprinter pickup same quality. I believe there's a picture of them at the end of my 45 thread.

Got a set of rear shoes for the 60 from milner :-D surely they'll be fine on the rear....

Going with Hilux calipers on the front and some decent pads.

Andy mind if I ask you here what the difference is between the 80 diesel and petrol steering boxes, I was under impression they were the same, and could be interchanged with the smaller one in a 60 as a upgrade, rather than fill that wanted thread up.

It won't make a deal of difference on a 60. The diesel 80 steering box has a idle up facility for when steering at idle wheras the petrol steering box doesn't have it.

Pity you didn't ask a couple of months ago, I threw a diesel and a petrol steering box in the scrap as they had been kicking about for years.

I didn't know they were interchangeable as an upgrade on a 60, every day a school day as they say.

Hi Andy
I guess one box has the electrical sensor for changing the amount of power applied to the steering depending on speed, I forget the name for the technology, I was not aware it was split down petrol vs diesel, I had assumed it was a higher trim level/option instalment, good to know for hunting one down!

That is indeed a grave shame that you binned them :-(

Yeah a bit if info available on swapping them over generally straight forward on 83 onwards, its a upgrade, but its also a lot easier to get seals etc in the UK for a 80 box vs a 60.

Cheers!

Didn't know about the idle up part! I don't think it works on mine!

Back