Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lesotho 2016 South Africa

warrenpfo

Not local I know but thought it worth posting in the hope we could drum up a few contributions along with some interesting reading.

For those not in the know Lesotho (home of the blanket people, as that is traditional clothing for them) is a land locked country all on its own in the middle of South Africa. It relies heavily on mining and farming at one stage but is a very poor country at high altitudes experiencing severe weather over the colder months with snow almost guaranteed.

The cruiser club of South Africa has for some time now been doing an annual trip through the country with donations collected to drop off blankets, clothing and school equipment like stationary, books etc to the poorer not so often visited areas.

Below are a few pictures of last years trip.

OK lets start the ball rolling with part one and a few photos

We ended up with a final count of 20 vehicles , 19 Land Cruisers and 1 Land Rover (this LR has clocked up just over 600000KM so has earned its strips). We had 36 Adults (debatable after some of the antics on the trip
icon_lol.gif
) and 4 children. The participants were
1} Peter and Jane
2} Mark and Shirley
3} John " Father Christmas" Wells
4} James and Kay
5} Werner and Doug
6} Peter and his son inlaw Ross
7} Stephen and Sunet
8} JP and Ronel
9} Derrick and his very good friend Chubby
10} Tim and Tanya
11} Frans and Lily
12} Warren "just back home after 13 years in the UK" and his brother Rowan
13} Andre and Karen
14} Mike and Des "living his life to the full"
15} Eon and his son Franzroux
16} Richard in his 600000km "old" landy
17} Jan and Diana plus their 3 girls, a total pleasure to be with under any situation
18} Essie and Ez
19} Andrew and his tame Scotsman Rob
20} Lourens

Most of the participants made their way to various overnight stopovers on the Thursday and we then meet at various points en route with the final gathering happening at the border with all 20 vehicles getting together here.
Unfortunately Werner and Doug left us after the first night as Werner was very ill and Doug drove him back home.
some photos just to give you a brief idea of what and where we went below.
The ongoing story of the trip will be posted in sections along with lots of photos by all the participants of the trip so carry on watching.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

IMG_0676_zpspliysrr6.jpg
IMG_0602_zpsphdtactz.jpg

file.php

file.php

file.php
file.php
file.php

file.php
file.php
file.php
file.php

Due to lots of arm bending and threats to my personal safety
icon_twisted.gif
by certain members of our great Club I am forced
icon_biggrin.gif
to organise another Tour De Lesotho
The date for this years Lesotho trip is 16th June to 19th June 2016. We will be meeting near Matatiele on early on the morning of the 16th and travelling across central Lesotho ending up near Katse on Sunday morning. Peter G and I have been discussing the proposed route and there should be a mixer of .tar, gravel , 2 river crossings ( remember it is Winter so not tomuchof a problem) and at least 1 medium to hard 4x4 low range mountain pass on the route.
Please let me know if you are keen so that we can reserve spots. I will be limiting the numbers this year to 20 vehicle, last year we had to many vehicles

OK been working on the route and the proposed route is going to be as per the map below . There will be some adjustments as more detailed information becomes available but we will be travelling through some remote regions. There will be some low range driving and rocky river crossings and unfortunately for 10% of the route trailers will not be a good idea.
The one section has taken previous groups 1 hour to do 5 km with steep departure angles and rocky river crossings.

file.php

More to follow as things progress but thought i would ask and see if there are any members who would like to make a donation towards the trip and of course I will keep you all posted as things develop.

Given the exchange rate the Pound goes a long way to helping so any small amount is welcome. Perhaps drop a post down with your commitment and closer to the time i will come knocking for collection. I have a UK account so probably easier if i give my bank account details and then transfer the money this side.

I want to say as a club we raised close to 1000 pounds a few years back.

Anyway thanks and will update when i know more.

Hope to see you next year on your home turf Warren.....my schedule doesn't fit well for Lesotho 2017 (I guess) but it would be good to meet up with you at some point. Lesotho looks fantastic. Good luck with the fund rasing. Following...

Steve look forward to catching and showing you around a bit, perhaps a trip somewhere.

If you can get to Lesotho even if just going up Sani Pass (google it) to have a beer in the highest pub.

Catch up soon

....and I wondered why you were so keen to go back to SA....
Excellent trip and photos....

Is it me, or are there only 2 photos with a bunch of placeholder squares :confusion-shrug:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I see them all. Not sure what has gone wrong but will see if i can fix it

Only 2 photo's for me as well, the first five are place holder squares, then two visible, then the remainder are place holder squares.

Steve look forward to catching and showing you around a bit, perhaps a trip somewhere.

If you can get to Lesotho even if just going up Sani Pass (google it) to have a beer in the highest pub.

Catch up soon

We plan to do Sani top - perhaps you could let me know where the highest pub is...our outline itinerary below

Sani TopWalking on the Sani Pass to Hodgeson's Peaks
Sani TopVia Mokhotlong village (wild west feel) Possible branch off before village to Matabeng or Katse or across highlands towards Maseru. See village of Oxbow and go up the Monantsa Pass (round trip to border). Possible branch off at Mothae to go to Ts'ehlanyane NP.
OxbowOver Moteng pass. Stock up on supplies in Maseru to head into the mountains. Visit Thaba-Bosiu site
RomaMokhoabong Pass
Taung/Molanapeng
Mavuka/Sehlabathebe NPScenic gorge drive. Dinosaur footprints

Already getting excited about Southern Africa but got another year to wait yet!

Wow! Stunning scenery and a good mix of cracking looking cruiser's. Looks like it was good fun and for a worth while cause :thumbup: Thanks for posting that up Warren.

Thanks Warren, that was worth watching

Amazing, what a country, a cruiser and overland paradise!

It just brings it home to you how privileged we are living the way we do, life is so tough there.

How far did you travel on that trip Warren? A great array of cruisers and may I say, the 80s still looked the best out of all of them!

Great roads you travelled, really challenging.

Thanks for posting Warren, not envious at all, mind.... :whistle:

Looks good, thanks for posting this Warren, now swambo wants to go but she does not like heights, gets vertigo, oh well.

Here you go, sorry for so many and the order is a bit hinky but you get the just. (I also need to edit most)
kYIrtL.jpg
P9CKCe.jpg
lqYxYz.jpg
Us2TCk.jpg
ysYByr.jpg
93EIjj.jpg
UYnRmC.jpg
sPK6hF.jpg
OPWtU5.jpg
0cNZ6I.jpg
e2K57e.jpg
iU3Lsr.jpg
9sNCrR.jpg
hMGQD9.jpg
Epe9Zc.jpg
VKKnnV.jpg
A00Jfl.jpg
L10RxV.jpg
cxrLdv.jpg
xBPg1T.jpg
xA94bc.jpg
1gp7t4.jpg
5cLWit.jpg
JtrVFm.jpg
bcFAEB.jpg
gYg2on.jpg
e2KxX5.jpg
DumWuw.jpg
dJRTWC.jpg
HT7RbM.jpg
kTkiTY.jpg
dYtITH.jpg
h20Iaq.jpg
x1ODPV.jpg
kGwXI4.jpg
u8PK0J.jpg
lBv90K.jpg
Bp6mff.jpg
Pw011j.jpg
CjiTIp.jpg
vV3eix.jpg
zRb6J6.jpg
TPuBpx.jpg
dNEoMx.jpg
T024SJ.jpg
XbU6by.jpg
tSY3mn.jpg
Oxm726.jpg
8N9DZJ.jpg
wjs4K0.jpg
M7zdMQ.jpg
0UBZ8M.jpg
br4KS3.jpg
ENsCFK.jpg
hhD3mW.jpg
MnlHt1.jpg
mRdYBt.jpg
l4WI8P.jpg
MjIrPg.jpg
AA3rND.jpg
OA1BOL.jpg
ROKIZj.jpg
aXX050.jpg
jWs4SX.jpg
GzFpd3.jpg
bLew83.jpg
Cl2ljg.jpg
u6RWt5.jpg
KV4eFI.jpg
GZzEqU.jpg
JlhMf6.jpg
Quh48X.jpg
JHBQA6.jpg
UXPc3H.jpg
6nd0Y2.jpg
KgRa19.jpg
rPRCdq.jpg
4lvzcn.jpg
Es0mWi.jpg
L1rZYI.jpg
Oe7Ymq.jpg
lUiv4t.jpg
oYuZ7r.jpg
2j9SVe.jpg
WTpjt6.jpg
zw7dW6.jpg
PFcve7.jpg
V0uPqc.jpg
AewMSP.jpg
CIR4Gw.jpg
ZU0VOd.jpg
5CjDTh.jpg
WbmnnP.jpg
LkolSK.jpg
HWU2Hu.jpg
WsaBgi.jpg
lc5ZME.jpg
b6GOas.jpg
RSyPSL.jpg
aRA7qM.jpg
FmSOmg.jpg
5XOLv8.jpg
8Fm3o4.jpg
tjJ7o4.jpg
xzsZZu.jpg
IKZZhD.jpg
yy9qzE.jpg
oGxsM6.jpg
DYdwTL.jpg
CWMp5P.jpg
5tfElK.jpg
nPecAf.jpg
QJ5Tly.jpg
QdxCbd.jpg
0X6GhU.jpg
BuRLvU.jpg
pQ9XEj.jpg
e1X0nj.jpg
ST8OAV.jpg
oriHtj.jpg
JkQKg9.jpg
7hZ2qR.jpg
mjvwYy.jpg
4RZ9IP.jpg
zlWjur.jpg
85ezdj.jpg
Ox91tL.jpg
lFJC7o.jpg
23WoS0.jpg
zmWHKq.jpg
XBpIi3.jpg
bKx0q1.jpg
tbonDt.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1080.jpg IMG_1078.jpg IMG_1079.jpg IMG_1082.jpg IMG_6624.jpg IMG_1088.jpg IMG_1101.jpg IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1084.jpg IMG_1099.jpg IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1166.jpg IMG_6616.jpg IMG_6637.jpg IMG_1089.jpg IMG_1085.jpg IMG_1098.jpg IMG_6573.jpg IMG_6598.jpg IMG_6618.jpg IMG_6634.jpg IMG_6642.jpg IMG_6650.jpg IMG_6649.jpg IMG_1096.jpg IMG_1092.jpg IMG_6656.jpg IMG_1104.jpg IMG_6670.jpg IMG_1097.jpg IMG_1090.jpg IMG_1107.jpg IMG_1093.jpg IMG_1103.jpg IMG_1132.jpg IMG_1134.jpg IMG_1146.jpg IMG_1163.jpg IMG_1168.jpg IMG_1169.jpg IMG_1183.jpg IMG_1167.jpg IMG_1177.jpg IMG_6570.jpg IMG_6575.jpg IMG_6672.jpg

Here you go, sorry for so many and the order is a bit hinky but you get the just. (I also need to edit most)
kYIrtL.jpg
P9CKCe.jpg
lqYxYz.jpg
Us2TCk.jpg
ysYByr.jpg
93EIjj.jpg
UYnRmC.jpg
sPK6hF.jpg
OPWtU5.jpg
0cNZ6I.jpg
e2K57e.jpg
iU3Lsr.jpg