Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lets talk ELECTRIC WINCHES

Graham said:
Thanks, thats a very useful and informative post.
Lots of variables, lots of altternatives.

So traditionally, you get what you pay for ----------- most of the time.

Gra.

my 12,000IB winch was originally purchased from ebay for less than £200. that was 4 years ago and since then its had a lot of abuse and has always been reliable, apart from when the cheap solenoids finally decided after 3 years of mud and water that theyd had enough.

fitted some albright style solenoids and its been fine ever since. :thumbup:

i doubt it will last as long as some of the expensive ones, but so far ive been very impressed with it.

for the amount mine gets used, then im glad i bought a cheap one.

but if i was doing big expeditions/overlanding and could find myself in a situation where my life depended on the winch being super reliable, then i would spend a lot more money and get a big brand name one. :)

Ive always thought the products goodwinch sell are all re-badged Chinese stuff? like the wireless winch remotes he sells for nearly £50, when the exact same ones can be purchased off ebay for £10 :roll: .

Hi Ben,

Was it new off Ebay?

Gra.

ref 8274's

get an 8074 belview and upgrade- mucho possible strength.....

Crushers said:
actually, Warn 8274-50 get their parts from China ...

but

they deny it when questioned over the phone.

i find it interesting that so many blokes drop the $2400 CND for a brand new 8274 and had so many issues before even using it.

or are we talking used and neglect 8274s?
Warn - China
The thing is, China can and does make some fantastic top quality stuff.
BUT, you have to pay for it.
We all (Well many of us) assume that if it's "Made in China" it must be crap.

Unfortunatly, not so.

Gra.

Yep - just like 'Made in Japan' or 'Made in Taiwan' used to be, and 'Made in Great Britain' is becoming

:lol: - JUST KIDDING!!!!! :lol:

Don't think we manufactured enough here anymore, sadly .... A nation of bean-counters :lol:

Hi Gary,

Your sadly right.
In UK we used to be the world dominators in almost every thing good.
It is, or shall I say slipping away rather quickly.

I also remember the term "Jap Crap"
Look where that got them.........with their stupid Corolla's,,,,,,,,,, oh hang on, les not go there.

Gra

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i agree, i have bought some very good Chinese products lately
and some real crap North American products.

China, the new age Japan.

so, let me ask again, how many of you blokes bought brand new 8274 winches and had issues. just curious.

or is it more you are buying the cheapest used 8274 and complaining it needs work before you can use it?

Graham said:
Hi Ben,

Was it new off Ebay?

Gra.

yes mate. :thumbup:

basically the same as the one on the link below.

the only other changes ive made, was changing to unbranded plasma style rope, that was £80 with an alloy hawse fairlead, and a big competition style winch hook which was about £15.

so all in it owes me less than £300. :)

i know some people have lots of money to spend on there trucks, but i always try and do things as cheaply as possible, hence why i make as much stuff as i can, myself, and why ive only got a cheap winch. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRANDED-ELECT ... 6134wt_932

MuckyPup said:
Failing that, if you don't mind the all up weight of 50kg and you've got room for a 10,000lb Superwinch Husky

Well when I can find one, that is going to be my rear winch!!

Paul_Humphreys said:
MuckyPup said:
Failing that, if you don't mind the all up weight of 50kg and you've got room for a 10,000lb Superwinch Husky

Well when I can find one, that is going to be my rear winch!!

Not cheap, but electricwinchshop sell them.

I recently bought a Superwinch LP10000 for a number of reasons - the name is generally quite dependable, the capacity and weight are favourable, the price isn't beyond the realms of comprehension, but most of all because it has the brake inside the drum making it short enough to fit inside my chassis rails. This means the winch will barely protrude above the bottom of the rad which lets face it, with a 2l-te motor, is pretty important. I like to go laning solo from time to time but after a close call a year or two ago I decided I wouldn't go alone again until I had a better means of self recovery. Also, with an overland trip on the cards later this year I figured it could be a good investment.

Not fitted the winch yet, still in the process of building a custom tray, but bench tested it and can confirm it is very sloooow. I didn't buy it for racing in winch challenges though and would much rather reliability over speed

Jim.

sae70 said:
Hey, that same firm Ben do roof tents as well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARKEN-AUTODA ... 640wt_1139

didnt check out there other items. :)

a roof tent is on my list of things to buy, but im going to wait till i get to OZ. i dont think there really suited to green laning in the UK, far too many overhanging trees and branches, at least on my favourite lanes anyway. :cool:

nlbyrne said:
fridayman said:
Goodwinch

Just looking at Tigerz11 on youtube,
Can you get them in Europe :?:

I'm not sure. My brother in Oz put me onto them. They are starting to make a name over there. Their Grande winches come with a 5 year warranty.

I've had several winches

My first and in many ways best electric winch was a superwinch x9, the poor old thing has been on my CJ7 and 3 or 4 suzukis and been abused for work and play (work wise pulling big cables over long distances and play wise challenge event and p&p) finally running 24v on a 12v motor to speed things up.. I pulled it apart completely a year or so ago and it was in good condition inside and out.

But it's slow and the brake drags in reverse so wears out... Like it still!

Mile marker hydro, great tool but to make it reasonably quick costs lots and lots (friends home build hydro on his challenge trunk is quick but it has a crank driven pump!) also like everything there made in china! Looked nice and professional and worked well on my G Wagon

Goodwinch goldfish 9000lb nice quick winch but even with a uprated motor it lacks pulling power (with a snatch block it's quicker than the x9 :shock: )

I did buy a come up (second hand)on eBay because it was super cheap and local, looked at it stripped it and cleaned it, got the free spool working etc etc etc then sold it, I was going to put it on the family car trailer but decided another goldfish was a better option.

Looked at 8274's but the challenge boys spend big money on them to sort there faults, mr giggle pin almost replaces everything.

jeepmadmike said:
I
Mile marker hydro, great tool but to make it reasonably quick costs lots and lots (friends home build hydro on his challenge trunk is quick but it has a crank driven pump!) .
it's a small world- that'd be Paul and Shreks then :D

its a lovely build- twin hydro motors etc

Back