Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LGW-Durban flight soon

This will be great news :thumbup: It has been spoken about for ages with nothing concrete ever happening - hopefully this time it's different!
Emirates have a Dubai-Durban flight which is good for avoiding Joburg.

Yeah, that will be good. Can't stand going via Jo'burg.

Never had a problem, myself! Can't see what all the fuss is about unless your final destination happens to be Durban/ KwaZulu Natal. Getting off in Durban would be one hell of a detour if you were heading for say somewhere like Pretoria. Anyway you guys are talking like Durban is a crime free zone and I know it isn't. I've got no choice, Jo-burg is my home. I couldn't live anywhere else in SA.

:cool:

I have to admit it, the Desi babes in Durban are something else, just like the Great White Shark.

JC

The Dark Dude

I don't think anyone's promoting going to JHB via Durban, John :mrgreen: Simply, JHB airport is the pits with the worst luggage theft of any international airport I know of (not to mention that most ludicrous lay-out conceivable). For those of us that go to Durban, contrast the 3rd/4th world experience in JHB with the a shiny new airport in Durban, no queues, and no connecting flight :thumbup:

Andrew Prince said:
I don't think anyone's promoting going to JHB via Durban, John :mrgreen: Simply, JHB airport is the pits with the worst luggage theft of any international airport I know of (not to mention that most ludicrous lay-out conceivable). For those of us that go to Durban, contrast the 3rd/4th world experience in JHB with the a shiny new airport in Durban, no queues, and no connecting flight :thumbup:

Really! I beg to differ but each to this own I suppose. Jo-burg is my manor and I love the place, the good (Rosebank), the bad (Hillbrow) and the ugly (Midrand). I've heard some right horror stories but touch wood I've been a very lucky boy. I still think that T5 at Heathrow is best avoided at ALL COST!

JC

The Dark Dude

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bearing in mind I'm a Durban boy, for me transit through Joburg is a pain. Nothing to do with the crime or anything like that, but to have to collect your bags etc and then drag them round to domestic is crap.

In contrast, Emerits now do a flight from Durban via Dubai with you checking your bags in at Durban and then you collect them in Heathrow. Similar the other way round.
So for me direct to Durban from London will be even better, although being North London, Gatwick is a pain.

TonyP said:
although being North London, Gatwick is a pain.
Gatwick is a pain wherever you are coming from, I think it's one of the worst airports I know. :thumbdown:

Gatwick the worst airport every? Have you been to Luton or Stansted recently?

Rob said:
Gatwick the worst airport every? Have you been to Luton or Stansted recently?
Never been to Luton, Stanstead about 10 years ago, forgotten now what it was like.

Gatwick! The place should burn in hellfire. When my adopted parents came to the UK for the first time, they flew into Gatwick. They told me that they had been informed that "Gatwick London" was the capitals nearest airport. They won't be making that mistake again. Trust me! I always fly Emirates into Joburg. I wouldn't consider any other carrier. Bulletproof service and best of all, you can take full advantage of the duty free during the stopover in Dubai.

JC

The Dark Dude

T5 super slick terminal, flown out of there quite a few times & it has always been easy...JNB needs modernising & CPT getting/had a good makeover & extended, but is losing a little of its charm.

Back