Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Liberia, anyone?

120mm

Country Flag
germany
I know it's not technically a road trip, but our company has purchased a Series 78 and a Series 80 for our work in Liberia. Here's some interesting pictures from a recent outing in Redlight District, Monrovia.

10646898_910185945671400_7472650223567948366_n.jpg
Slave labor. Actually, the owner of the company, which in this line of business is the same thing.
11263921_910185929004735_6488438296270051092_n.jpg
11118853_910185849004743_8633003515393426565_n.jpg
At this point, I offered the helpful advice that the seats fold up and out of the way. Dirty look followed.
11219001_910186039004724_4400739117495420658_n.jpg
Someone worked up an appetite.
11295736_910186042338057_5011328093314603907_n.jpg
Lovely scenery.

I'm wondering what the rough part of town would be like...:think:

A bit of a sad looking 80 there, all work and no play...:cry:

Even before Ebola, Liberia was a hot mess. Emphasis on "hot".

People pay me money to sort out complex problems, and frankly, nothing about Africa suggests a solution. We dig some wells, fix some roads (for now) and even provided a mural-painted school

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ns-a-liberian-school-into-a-mural-masterpiece

but you know what? It's still Africa. I look forward to the next year and a half of working some Eastern European issues.

interesting load plan there!!

my over riding impression of Africa was until there is a fundamental change of culture and attitude by the people who live there it is unfixable.
Simplistically, stop fighting each other, stop sticking your hand in the till!

That certainly looks interesting - keep the stories and pictures coming!

What are you actually doing out there? Some pics of the 78 wouldn't go astray either ;)

http://www.stableoutcomes.com/stable-outcomes-liberia/

If the link works, that is our promo video. The 79 series (I mistyped) is at the end. I'd take a picture, but I'm back in the states, getting ready for a move to Europe.

Basically, we provide infrastructure development and work out cultural/social/political solutions to local issues to help provide stability.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I find things like that fascinating; I'm classed as an international student at uni (Brit studying in Australia) so I end up meeting all sorts of interesting characters.

At the moment we have a lot of Iraqi and Kurdish students over on AusAid scholarships, and some Bangladeshi's, one of whom I'm tutoring. The Bangladeshi is an interesting character, he was an indigenous rights worker in the Chittagong Hills, working with his tribal community.

The Iraqi's and Kurds are all here because the opportunities are now open for Shia's as opposed to the Sunni's (I think I've got that the right way round) when the Ba'thist party was in power.

Interesting work i'm sure , I always thought the only cure for Africa is to sell it in huge parcels because schemes driven by potential profit will always get more interest than anything with a more humane goal . Michael Jackson and Gary Glitter could have employed thousands and invested millions before finding themselves wearing a burning rubber tyre filled with petrol which would be a win win result for humanity whichever way you look at it .

Africas biggest problem is interference by western do gooders and multinationals raping the resources of the continent

I spent an interesting week in a Berber family home many years ago tallking to the village elders, one of the favourite stories was of a niave young american ladie working for the peace corp who spent 6 month trying to teach them to suck eggs with irrigation and water preservation, the whole village found it histerical that someone fresh out of school thought they coudl teach a culture with 1000's of years of experienec something. Needless to say she went home with a nice warm glow about helping developing countries totally oblivious to the locals taking the piss everyday she was there and still laughing about it years later

Yep misguided assistance when it's not welcomed... Imagine what Iraq would be like today if the U.S. and the allies hadn't gone in to liberate them from their tyrant...

Im being sarcastic, sorry

In danger of thread jack here but i'm sure 120mm will be amused by the one sided arguments as filtering them is after all his stock and trade . I liken the situation Mark describes to someone trying to feed Venetians the absurd notion that sewage on your doorstep is not a brilliant idea :lol:

yes, the peace corps do have a reputation for some rather idiotic interventions principally aimed at young college goers to try and justify their privileged existence by thinking that they are doing some good, but it is too easy, and a very tired argument, to continually blame other countries for Africa's misfortune. Less blaming others and more self responsibility would serve better. My experience was the only well run projects I saw were run by outsiders. I was particularly dismayed when we delivered our load of schoolbooks to a school in the Gambia to be continually asked by the headmaster what we had for him personally. To travel through Africa is to face a never ending flow of people across all levels of society wanting handouts

There are, of course, very noble exceptions, like the man who took a part off his own truck to repair mine, and had to be heavilly persuaded to take a couple of spare spanners as a sign of my gratitude, and the gang in a truck who stopped to help me change a wheel unbidden and refused to take even a bottle of water but it is a shame that the pressure of the begging is such that whenever someone shows genuine kindness you always wonder how it's going to end up.

A side of that though is the current Chinese influence concerns me greatly. withdrawal of huge quantities of raw materials in exchange for road and infrastructure projects which make no allowance for the local environment or the requirement for future maintenance.

Take as an example, Congo, where there is very little western interference, has sufficient natural resources not just to feed it's own population but the whole of Africa, but it is destroyed by war and internal greed. It's far from the only country like this.

It's time to stop blaming everyone else for their ills and relying on charity handouts and take some self responsibility. Until that change in attitude happens you can throw as much money as you like at the problem, but you won't solve it.

Last edited:
Yep, sorry for that. One thing, visiting other countries is very rewarding especially if you're privileged to meet locals an be welcomed into their communities, we have a lot to learn.

Don't want to undermine the good work which is done to support developing countries at all or take the thread OT, but the west needs to understand the area, traditions and beliefs of the local people and not try to force western standards onto tribal cultures where it doesn't work, we've been there tried that and seen all the suffering/conflict it causes. If the west fails to recognise how its action have impacted around the world things won't get better.

I did type a longish response but we're are digressing at lot from 120mm's post

Agreed, getting back on track, it's my view that before outsiders can attempt to assist, they have to enquire, listen, and understand the situation folks are in and why they're in that situation, before strategizing any proposed changes.

Drew will have much more idea of this than I have, with his experience, but I'd be surprised if he disagreed, in principle at least. So much seems to be planned remotely, without proper consultation. JMO.

aye, we've been trying to impose ourselves on other cultures for years, it's rarely ended well!

Sorry for the delay; just kicked both my newly college graduated daughters who I love, and a house cat I despise out of the nest. Am sick now, and slightly in my cups, so this might be blunt.

So in order:

Africa is huge, and its problems are huge. The entire world's GDP could be dumped into it to "fix" it, and it would still be crap. Having said that, parts of it are "not bad", but I don't think that is necessarily static or something to be counted upon. Nice places can be extremely bad places in quick order. When John Garang was organizing his civil war from my local university, we really thought South Sudan was going to be a great place. I met both Riek Machar and Salva Kiir as well, at the local synagogue (I'm not Jewish, it's just that the South Sudanese secession was coordinated from the Des Moines, Iowa synagogue) and they all seemed great friends and buddies.

Africa's biggest problem is that it's f*cking Africa. I think claiming that its problems are rooted in Imperialism and Capitalism is a cop out. Through sheer accident of geography, Africa is screwed. I would suggest reading "Guns, Germs and Steel" for a greater understanding of why that is.

Having said that, Western non-interference has opened this place up for the Chinese, who operate without the impediment of Western ethics. Or any ethics whatsoever.

On tribalism: Yob tribalism. Tribalism is the lack of civilization. Academic anthropologists who have sold the idea that tribalism is just another, co-equal form of society need to be set on fire, and then buried alive in a common grave. People from tribal societies who are NOT the one or two who benefit from it would do nearly anything to escape it, by and large. Those few who benefit from tribal societies will do almost anything to perpetuate it and THOSE shitheads are where the problems truly lie. So basically, if you want to survive in a primitive society and pass on social mores and coding, tribalism is great. If you want flush toilets, clean sheets and a decent life expectancy, tribalism is not so great.

On do-gooders: The US routinely devastates rural economies by dumping cheap or free grain on them, in order to artificially create demand. I live in an ag area in the US and HATE the stupid mantra about Midwestern American farmers "feeding the world".

90% of the college educated development workers are just a waste of time. They simply don't have experience, especially the kind of experience that is useful in pre-industrial societies. Having said that, very few tribal societies really have 1000 years of experience guiding them. Because of the amount of displacement, most "natives" have spent nearly a generation or more in a camp somewhere, and know jack squat about agriculture. I have literally seen "farmers" dump a bag of seed on the ground in one spot and walk away, thinking they've planted the 2 acre field. What is needed is someone with a good grasp of historical agriculture, in order to determine what is appropriate and sustainable. And necessary. And sometimes the best farmers are the ones you can help the most.

I was suckered to Liberia by wine, a hot tub and an unbelievably small bikini. The boss really knows how to play me and tends to get what she wants. I would probably return, but I don't really think I could make a difference for Africa.

10384364_909937279029600_1442056718727886664_n.jpg (gratuitous pic to keep those of you who cannot read entertained. NOT the actual bikini worn to lure me to Liberia.)

Anyway, I like (even love) the Africans I met. They are hard not to like and care for. I was raised by conservative Germans in the US and we are open and naive like they are. Most Westerners don't realize how huge of a jump it is for the typical African to make into the same frame of reference.

Anyway, vodka calls. Next stop, Germany and Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
top post:thumbup:

where's the other bikini pic?
liking the alcohol and hot tub idea, I'll pack my suitcase!

what is your line of work BTW?

I seriously don't know anymore.

I was raised by farmers, trained to be a horseman, but went into the military instead. (Artillery, then Armor, then Military Intelligence, then Logistics) Somewhere along the line someone thought I could figure out different cultures and solve difficult problems. People keep calling me up and paying me, so I must do something right.

This next gig is straight up training the former Warsaw Pact nations how to resist Russian incursions on their territories, but I'll probably gravitate back to solving infrastructure, cultural or agricultural problems again.

Back