Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lights on dashboard

Great - another job on the list!!!

ive reset the code and it hasn’t come on this morning so will use it as little as possible before tue and get scv/injectors looked at

thanks as always for your help - invaluable as always

Well, had it in the injector garage today. the guy there said that as it has run fine since the power loss/clearing codes, he is reluctant to check the injectors - he said the charge is £40 per injector to test them, so £160 just to check, he said he would wait until there are issues. Sounds fair from a financial point of view, but goes against me wanting to keep on top of things and be preventative. I'll get it booked in the spring before its used to go to France/Spain in the summer.

The SCV - because of the codes/error message he did a pressure test and it appears that that is the problem. Because I don't understand the mechanical side, I'm not sure what is the problem (I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow), but it's a new SCV

Thanks again for the advice on here...

Thats good that you've made progress with it.

I assume he had to plug in techstream or equivalent to look at the fuel pressure to diagnose the SCV, so not sure why you wouldn't just look at the other live data stats at the same time to diagnose possible injector issues. Be interesting to see what numbers caused them to diagnose SCV - low pressure at idle, pressure wildly fluctuating, or....??? (expect around 35,000 kPa)

Wonder how he's testing them for £40 each - taking them out and checking spray patterns? I would think that techstream stats and checking the oil pickup (when is your service due?) would be the best way, at least initially.

At £160 to check, you could buy enough oil to do an oil change and a laptop for Techstream :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
next service is due spring time so will probably do it early and get injectors checked /replaced if necessary - from what you’re saying I guess you think it’s best to take it elsewhere?

HI Paul, no not necessarily saying that - its very difficult on here, because obviously we dont get full information, and garages can be opaque at the best of times.

I think if they've diagnosed the SCV as being a possible issue, thats probably worth replacing first as its easy and cheap; and it will need replacing sooner or later as we know they fail on the older 120s.

My understanding is that a broken SCV doesn't cause a fault code on the computer, but if you see the fuel pressure fluctuating wildly, theres a good chance its the SCV - I think thats as scientific as it gets!

As for injectors - if you do an oil change yourself, once the oil has drained you can shine a torch into the sump and look a the oil pickup strainer to see if its blocked - if it is, thats a sign that the injector seats are leaking and that needs fixing ASAP as eventually the engine will get starved of oil.

If you plug Techstream in and let the engine warm up, there's a dozen or so diagnostics that you can just read off the screen that together will give you a clue as to the health of the injectors. Thats a 10 minute job and 8 of that is the engine warming up :) If you can go somewhere that has Techstream, you can get some screen shots of the data and post it here and we can give you a view on it. Theres a few other threads with the numbers I think! IMHO you're better spending £50 on a techstream diagnostic rather than £160 on injector spray tests - but others here might have a different view!

Hi Paul,

The VSC and TRC lights probably came on because the check engine light came on as those systems won't work if there is an engine light - so they are not necessarily a clue.

Let us know what codes you find.

Also have quick physical check under the bonnet, check the area around the SCV isn't leaking fuel and the fuel pipe is on the pump OK, seeing as that is the last job that was done.

Back