Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lithium (LiFePO4) batteries

I’m using 8x 100ah winston prismatic cells. With the. 123SmartBMS looking after them.

Nice setup, I've just pulled the trigger on another 4x120ahs, my BMS is rated to 200amps (charge and discharge), so going to see if I can run my 2KW inverter off them.

My Rev Power battery certainly does not like being cold for very long.

Took this photo on a frosty winter morning where the overnight temp was sub zero but nothing like -10 or -20. Apologies for the glare, but the message reads "Output battery under temperature fault".

The battery happily came back to life after the cab warmed up but the warning I took from this was if camping in wintery conditions make sure the battery is reasonably insulated and be vigilant that both charge and supply may be interrupted if it is too cold.

Redard Under Temp Warning.jpg

Nice setup, I've just pulled the trigger on another 4x120ahs, my BMS is rated to 200amps (charge and discharge), so going to see if I can run my 2KW inverter off them.
That’s a nice amount of battery:)

you should be able to run that inverter quite comfortably!

My Rev Power battery certainly does not like being cold for very long.

Took this photo on a frosty winter morning where the overnight temp was sub zero but nothing like -10 or -20. Apologies for the glare, but the message reads "Output battery under temperature fault".

The battery happily came back to life after the cab warmed up but the warning I took from this was if camping in wintery conditions make sure the battery is reasonably insulated and be vigilant that both charge and supply may be interrupted if it is too cold.

View attachment 165160
We’ve had a -10 night so far but thankfully the inside of the trailer stayed just above zero. I have the batter located between the two 70l water tanks so when they are full it takes quite a bit of cold to drop them to feeezing point. Which then of course I have two problems!

If you have the battery power, I'd get one of those 12v heated blankets and wrap them around your water tanks, wack them on a temp switch and have them come on just above freezing, even have them on a voltage sensing relay so then cut off before eating too much power but if you are out of power and it's still below freezing, bad times.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you have the battery power, I'd get one of those 12v heated blankets and wrap them around your water tanks, wack them on a temp switch and have them come on just above freezing, even have them on a voltage sensing relay so then cut off before eating too much power but if you are out of power and it's still below freezing, bad times.
If it was that bad of times is put the gas heater underneath :)

we just try and avoid super cold weather camping now :)

The biggest problem now is battery consumption from the fridge during 43degree days.

Get some solar panels, then you can offset the heat with the power generation.

Get some solar panels, then you can offset the heat with the power generation.
Easier said than done atm. I’m currently on a farm in Iran where solar panels aren’t so popular due to very low electric prices.

We never really planned on staying stationary for this long so it’s not normally a problem.

They are high on the list for when we get moving again though just in case we are in the same situation again.

If you need anything buying and shipping let me know, I can arrange it.

Max 2kg, takes 5 - 7 days £18.24. If you really need anything I can nip to the post office, it's 5 mins walk away for you.
Amazing - thanks.

I’ll let you know. DHL and other companies have stopped shipping here all together now.

No problem, it's expensive, slow and you can't ship that much but if you need anything urgently let me know, only takes an hour of my life to do it.

Coming back to this older thread. It's time for me to replace my dead 'service' side battery, and been looking at lifepo4 again.

We typically only get out for a week at a time, and have 100w solar, plus we drive most days for an hour plus. Fridge+a few lights, phone charges, a couple of GoPro are the main consumers. I may add a water pump.

Thinking of getting a smaller 30ah sort of a setup going right away, and then expand down the road to maybe end up sometime summer next year with 6 of these (for 180 odd Ah@12v ).

Cold weather concern may not be a thing. I am back to Ukraine later this year - but not peak winter, and should not see sub zero.

I have also got a 3rd battery tray - and will be adding a second starter battery, so in case of a pinch that can be used 'service' side in very cold weather (given reduced load, of fridge maybe not needing that much juice ).

So with that in mind, anyone want to recommend brands and share experiences?

I am needing power for two compressor fridges (Freezer / Fridge), my Notebook, Camera, Smartphone, Tablet, Drone

I did it 9 years ago as a DYI Project for beeing able to staying self sufficent some days offgrid with my travelling car.

$1500 was not a cheapie, very capable, 95 AH AGM Battery, B2B Booster, Inverter, Solarcharger, Batterymonitor: Writeup classic powersetup (35kg AGM)

Then I did try the same at 2021, with LiFePO4 and new components. I wasnt able to beat this ecoflow device in weight, size or price. Here is my updated Setup from 2021:

710$ LiFePO4 576Wh Battery solution with 8.5kg: Writeup mobile offgrid solar solution with LiFePO4 It is still strong enough, and I did save a lot of weight and get new space inside of my car.

You cant get it smaller and more lightweigt even with using double of the cash as a DYI Project, without dropping some requirements. It is perfect for my Power consuments named above.

I`m currently on a detailed writeup about a DYI Project for a bigger LiFePO4 project, still struggeling to get a USB-C 100W Port for 12v as example.

Has mentioned my setup already, some time ago: overlanding offgrid power battery solution with solar (Ecoflow based) - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

trippin

What ecoflow device are you talking about ?

Back