Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Biggest tyres on standard 15 inch wheels?

Si LJ70

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi,

What is the biggest tyre size that will fit on a 1989 round eye LJ70 with standard 15 inch wheels? I have 31s on at the moment.

Cheers,

Simon

Since no one else has come up with anything better, I'll chip in with my limited experience here. When I had a round eye LJ70 I ran 31s, like you.

On my current KZJ70 the body and chassis are very similar to the earlier LJ but I'm not sure exactly what the differences are in detail. When I put 33s on it there was no rubbing on body or chassis, but I had to cut and re-weld the exhaust downpipe to move is rearwards a tad since the tyre touched it on full lock. But that was after a 50mm suspension lift, so this info is not really much help to you. In short, I would be surprised if you could put 33s on without having to get involved in some mods.

Having bigger tyres is a major improvement off road in the rough stuff. Bearings, brakes and gearing can all cope long term with no downsides at all. And, of course, they look a whole lot better. But here's the surprise - fuel consumption is slightly worse. Since I put 33s on I have never been able to match the mileage per litre that I got on the 31s.

You're not a million miles away. If you are ever in the SE London area get in touch and we can stick some 33s on your truck to find out.

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at the exhaust clearance as hadn't thought about that. I don't use it everyday so mpg isn't a concern.

... I have spent the last few months cutting out the rust and welding in new metal so I looking forward to doing more of the fun stuff like tyres, lift kit etc.

Hey Guys

How much slower did going to 33's make the Landcruiser? Not enough to make it worth complaining about?

What size rim offsets?

Also wondering if you have experienced any overheating issues and how I could overcome these?

How much slower
I suppose it must accelerate slower, but the KZ is a pokey motor and I really haven't noticed any lack of get up and go. It's certainly not disappointing on 33s. But I have added an intercooler which makes a noticeable difference to low end and mid range torque.

What size rim offsets?
Minus 32mm keeps the tyre centred on the bearing to avoid any stress there, and there's no rubbing on chassis or body. I couldn't find any -32 rims when I upsized so I used zero offset with 30mm spacers. Not ideal but it works just fine.

overheating
I have never had any problems with overheating. Everybody agrees that so long as you keep the cooling system in tip top condition you should be OK. There are lots of threads on this topic. Have a search around. This one by Bob Murphy is a good place to start - one of the best, in fact. Cooling the 1KZ-TE motor: - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

There are numerous angles to this: fitting an accurate temperature gauge; changing the thermostat for a 76 degree one; changing the position of the thermostat to the top rad hose; overhauling and topping up the viscous fan clutch; reverse flushing your radiator and getting the mud out of the fins; using the best quality coolant. You shouldn't need a different rad.

Back