Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 from Vancouver

Carib

Hello everyone,

Currently in Vancouver, Canada and have gotten the offroading bug.
Recently picked up my first 4x4 and it's a LandCruiser and am really enjoying the experiences it's allowing me to have.
It's a 1992 LJ70 with the 2.4 Turbo Diesel (2-LT) engine and manual transmission.

Here are some pics of the LandCruiser and one of the little sheepie.

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Carib.

welcome Carib. :)

truck looks great, and the scenery looks amazing. :clap:

did they sell 70's in your country, or are they all imports? :)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the kind words about the truck.
My knowledge regarding these trucks is currently limited as I'm new to the 4x4 world, especially the Land Cruisers. From what I've learnt so far, the older Land Cruisers (e.g. BJ42s) were sold in the Canadian market. I'm not sure when they stopped selling them, or which subsequent models were offered, but a lot of the LandCruisers built in the 80s and 90s on the road are Japanese imports (RHD) The model I have was imported from Germany (by the previous owner) and so it is LHD.

Been reading up and learning lots from this forum as, although my truck is in decent shape, it isn't perfect and has developed as issue which I want to fix quickly. Got a bit of reading to do before I ask for help from you guys.

The pics were taken yesterday from an offroading trip myself and two friends did to some of the old abandoned mines a couple of hundred kms north of Vancouver. The trip was excellent and the truck performed well in the mud, rocks, sand, and gravel. Loved every minute of it...!

btw, been reading your build thread for your LJ70. Great stuff in there...!

Carib.

Welcome Carib, those are some fantastic pictures you have posted, got my wander lust going again. :thumbup:

thanks. :thumbup:

do you have any plans to modify it? :)

is there much/any rust?

id have thought Germany put salt on there roads in Winter, not sure about Canada? :think:

Thanks Julian.

Ben,

I don't have any plans to modify it as yet. Still finding out what this truck is capable of. So far, I've done trails that range from gravel roads, rocky river beds, to muddy (about 1/2' deep) forestry service road and I've been able to go through them without any problems. I've been trying to find a situation where I can use the front locking hubs. Just have to organize such a trip with the guys I go offroading with...

There was a little rust behind the back bumper and at the bottom of the right door. Just a simple sand, rust control, and paint took care of it. Other than that, it has no rust. I'm not sure about the salting of the roads in Germany either. In Canada, the roads are salted in the winter time. Here in Vancouver, unlike the mid and eastern cities, salt is not used that much as the temp seldom drops below 0 degrees. And, when they do, because it rains a lot, the salt gets washed away relatively quickly.

Carib.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the LJ wasn't sold in Canada, all imports.
the BJ was sold till 87.

Carib, install a pyro and an aftermarket coolant temp gauge ASAP and get to know Radd Cruisers over on the island.
if you keep the pyro below 1200F

you might want to do some research on www.ih8mud.com for that engine and the issues in Canada.

beautiful pics, love the dog ... real cute.

Back