Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

lj70 intercooler write up

rikm777

heres a few pics of how we fitted a pajero intercooler onto the lj.just used a couple of scrap bits of pipe and the rest where all bits from the intercooler that we cut and modified.no fancy(and overpriced) blue silicone fittings here for boys who like their bling
1z6xgg2.jpg

2i9m1w4.jpg

2eulcmo.jpg

2nbdkww.jpg

we had to lose the one of the brackets for the battery tray and weld an extra bracket underneath to support it.we then reused that bracket to support the intercooler.the battery had to shift forward a few inches

29zo77m.jpg

next the fun part.cutting the hole in the bonnet!

once i,ve got my head round how to adjust this fuel pump safely i,m hoping for a noticable improvement.if not its just another mod to keep that cylinder head a bit cooler!

Looks a very worth while mod...

would it work as well with a front mounted intercooler ... as i happen to have a complete FMI and pipework off a frontera

Great mod, unfortunately no use to me as that's where my 2nd battery sits! :thumbdown:

so did you only have 1 battery to start with, or have you got rid of one? mines got 2.

are you going to cut a hole in your bonnet for a scoop?

id be interested to see how much difference it makes compared to mine, as i went for a much bigger (frontera 2.8) front mounted intercooler. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i only had one battery in mine.if a second battery is ever needed ,maybe for winching il have to look at mounting one inside the cab i guess.For on road performance i,m fairly sure a large front mount intercooler would cool better although you do have do fairly long pipe runs to it.as mine is totally for off road i figured a top mount would be less likely to get clogged up with mud which seems to happen to the coolant radiator quite easily

havent cut hole yet but i,ve got a hood scoop from a Izusu trooper that il have to mount off set on the bonnet which isnt ideal as theres quite a few contours and shapes on these bonnets

20adil5.jpg

Silly question time.....what does the intercooler do?

It looks like it goes inline between the turbo and the inlet manifold?

Pete

or in simple terms
the intercooler cools the air going into your engine making it denser allowing you to force air in more quickly
this gives you the option of increasing the amount of fuel you add to the mixture
end result- more power if you get it right or damaged engine if you get it very wrong!

should look good when its all fitted. :thumbup:

if/when you work out how to adjust the fuel pressure, id be interested to know how you do it.

will you be adjusting the boost pressure aswell?

i want to take mine to a proper derv tuning place and get my fuel pressure and boost both tweaked, with it on a rolling road.

i was talking to Paul from westcoast, at the 4x4 show and he was saying that fitting a 2.5" straight through exhaust will make a big difference to performance and fuel economy. :thumbup:

wobbly said:
Silly question time.....what does the intercooler do?

It looks like it goes inline between the turbo and the inlet manifold?

Pete

As has been pointed out, the intercooler cools the incoming air and so increases it's density and therefore it's mass flow into the engine. This allows for a greater quantity of fuel to be burnt.

In the case of the 2.4 engine, the main benefit is to reduce the temperature within the engine and so increase it's reliability. As the boost pressure is well below 1 BAR, the benefit in increased power will be less than 5%.

Roger

So in relation to the 2.4 engine, whilst there will be a minor improvement in power, the real benefit is that it reduces the temp the engine is running at, the main source of problems with this engine.

Seems simple enough - but where would it fit on a dual battery 78?

Pete

wobbly said:
So in relation to the 2.4 engine, whilst there will be a minor improvement in power, the real benefit is that it reduces the temp the engine is running at, the main source of problems with this engine.

Pete

could use a front mount

wobbly said:

Pete

heres mine. :thumbup:

dont know whats going on with photo bucket though, cant see the pics. :thumbdown:

Ben: If you want to send it to me i can host it colin @ otus.co.uk (No spaces)

Birder said:
Ben: If you want to send it to me i can host it colin @ otus.co.uk (No spaces)

thanks mate, ive just sent them all across. :thumbup:

Back