Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lj78 1 kZ-te conversion

Bennyc

Country Flag
ireland
Hello lads.

So resently I bought a 1993 lj78 manual that needs an engine. So set about sourcing an engine replacement for it. I purchased a 1999 90 series landcruiser a couple of days ago. So now it’s time to do the swap. I need so advice form ye guys. It’s a 1 kHz-te manual. I presumed the pre d4d was the way to go with no ecu but obliviously I was wrong as I noticed the donor I bought had a factory immobilizer so my questions are.

What issues do I have with the immobilizer when I do the swap namely the injector pump.

What other wiring issues do I have to figure out? I read some where that the wiring harness is the same in both the 2 lte and the 1 kHz-te which shurly ir wrong?

I can’t find a detailed thread of a swap like mine anywhere so the wiring is worrying and in fairness there isn’t a hole lot of wires in and around the engine bay so how difficult can it be.(probably shouldn’t have said that) I know the engine mounts have to be moved this should be no problem I think and as far as iv read the engine mates up with the gearbox with no issues? I’m going to do and egr delete while the engine is out and clean out the inlet manifold also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Hello lads.

So resently I bought a 1993 lj78 manual that needs an engine. So set about sourcing an engine replacement for it. I purchased a 1999 90 series landcruiser a couple of days ago. So now it’s time to do the swap. I need so advice form ye guys. It’s a 1 kHz-te manual. I presumed the pre d4d was the way to go with no ecu but obliviously I was wrong as I noticed the donor I bought had a factory immobilizer so my questions are.

What issues do I have with the immobilizer when I do the swap namely the injector pump.

What other wiring issues do I have to figure out? I read some where that the wiring harness is the same in both the 2 lte and the 1 kHz-te which shurly ir wrong?

I can’t find a detailed thread of a swap like mine anywhere so the wiring is worrying and in fairness there isn’t a hole lot of wires in and around the engine bay so how difficult can it be.(probably shouldn’t have said that) I know the engine mounts have to be moved this should be no problem I think and as far as iv read the engine mates up with the gearbox with no issues? I’m going to do and egr delete while the engine is out and clean out the inlet manifold also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Hi Bennyc

Sounds like you have some fun times ahead, you shouldn't have too much problem with the wiring, clearly mark the wires from both engine bays and they use the wires you need since your truck didn't come with the imobilizer it shouldn't be a problem just wiring the engine in, as most immobilizers are an electronic add on, keep us updated and pics am interested in following your progress

Chris

Quick update. Started taking out the 1kz te engine. Tight enough but out.

49C3B2D7-73A3-4A39-9A53-6C3B188272A1.jpeg 1DC7A90C-8BC9-4EFD-ACA3-FE5902388CA7.jpeg 9758B4B9-644A-464C-94A3-745DC3521591.jpeg

Had plenty help and a two post lift so not too bad. Unfortunately the 2 post got busy then so had to start stripping the lj on the ground which isn’t too bad there’s plenty to do standing

17C0F87A-D6F6-41D8-B967-B19DB829FC1C.jpeg A86B28ED-07BF-4CAB-99AE-4535A59991CC.jpeg

Iv all the front off now. There loads more room around the 2 lt engine. I’m hoppy going to leave the gear box in so I can bolt it up and figure out the engine mounts. I leaning towards removing the original mounts from the chassis or cutting them off from the donor and reweldind them back on in the Wright place. Only because it will look more original. My cousin the guy who owned the garage where I’m doing the work is a good welder so he can do that.

I’m still unsure as the wiring. I’ll read through a lot of posts and the manual pump is the way to go but to get one and what ever is needed is another problem. As iv a short amount of time to get this done I’m back to work on Monday I’m thinking of trying to get the ecu hooked up. It’s a 1999 landcruiser how hard can it be!!! I know more tomorrow if I get the engine in place.

Last edited:
A good start there man. They're a great conversion and will bring you many smiles per miles!!

A couple of things that I've done when using the 90 series 1kzte is:-

The engine mounts that are bolted to the engine are too long, you need the shorter ones that are fitted to the 3.0 surf, mk5 hilux, kzj70 or 120 series. There's some on ebay at the moment. Then these shorter ones will work perfect with the lj chassis mounts.

The 90 series sump is a real problem as the deeper part is very close to the diff on the front axle, so if you can find a sump off a 3.0 surf with the oil strainer and dip stick. Then that'll sort this one out for you.

If you can get the power steering pipes off the 3.0 surf aswell cause those will hook up your steering.

You're lucky your 78 is manual as the auto version uses the engine ecu and it's a right problem to sort.

I've always ditched the e pump and done an ecu delete as with the manual pump you have more scope to tune it. You can use a 2lt, daihatsu fourtrac have a small plunger in them but you can wind the pump up to the max and it'll still do 85mph but with no black smoke!

Your 78 looks nice! All the best with the conversion!:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Iwan_t24 those are the exact questions I was about to ask. Iv the engine out of the Lj.

76199CB0-9C3B-469C-9F57-FE9D430FE3D2.jpeg

Bell housing changed. Which was easy. 2B53499E-0914-4031-9689-3D21B45CB47B.jpeg 5413D07D-70C3-4813-909B-DB996BC8AFAC.jpeg

And obviously the sump is the next thing. There used to be two surfs parked in a quary near me I can’t see them being 3.0s as with the road tax in Ireland and I recall them having head problem so most likely 2.4s. Are they any good for engine mounts and power steering pipes? I’m not even sure are they still there. Surfs are very very uncommon around me bar them two so might have to come up with something else. How little space is there between the diff and sump. I can was thinking it would be hitting it and wouldnt bolt up at all. Would it be possible to cut back the sump a little fo clearance and reweld it?
Just reading back on your post. If I get the engine mounts you subjected do I not have to move the chassie mounting points? View attachment 152861

Last edited:
Here a pic as she stands now. I been moved three time since iv started from 2 post lift (idea) to 4 post lift (not as idea) to pit which in fact I’m out of the way in a coner not isn’t two bad

17149438-25AB-4C08-BBF2-6ED46EC8E84A.jpeg

Looks good mate! Ref the sump unfortunately just is incorrect with the 90 one... it'll be sat on the front axle and unworkable.

Could you rig up a dry sump setup? Or make one?

The chassis mounts are in the incorrect location.. and need moving back!

Thanks. Just trying to get the stuff. Waiting to here back. Fingers crossed!!!

Well lads.
Just a bit of help. Having trouble sourseing parts. Will this sump https://www.milneroffroad.com/toyot...0-engine-service-items-2/kzn130-engine-sump-0 it says they are out of stock but put I could message them to see can it be got in. Also I need a oil pick up pipe and spotted then in eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-L...248168?hash=item23b1c3b3e8:g:ZUsAAOSwfwpcFq27 iv anyone has an idea where I could get the parts that would be great. Trying to get a manual injector pump also.

Back