Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Location of reverse (back-up) light switch on 1HZ manual gearbox

aquasurf

Country Flag
australia
Sharing info for those who may need to find/access/replace the reverse (back-up) light switch in HZJ105 (01/1998 to 02/2008)
Toyota%201HZ%20-%20reverse%20light%20switch%20-%20drawing.jpg
1HZ%20reverse%20light%20switch.jpg

Sharing info for those who may need to find/access/replace the reverse (back-up) light switch in HZJ105 (01/1998 to 02/2008) View attachment 164033
1HZ%20reverse%20light%20switch.jpg
G'Day,

I think what David is 'just saying', is, it might be worth heading over to the 'introduce yourself' thread, and guess wot you do there:laughing-rolling:, and also some pictures of your 105 would be nice.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the diagram it shows the r151f gearbox as the switch is situated where shown.

It seems that you have the "big daddy" h151f gearbox as the switch is where you say and you have the more desirable and much stronger gearbox ideal for heavy towing!

I always wonder if the h151f was fitted from factory with the 105?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
...I always wonder if the h151f was fitted from factory with the 105?

UPDATE:
Information from Toyota indicates that the H151F gearbox was only installed as OEM in FJZ100 (inline 6 petrol), HDJ100 (inline 6 turbo diesel) and UZJ100 (V8 petrol) variants as it was a stronger box capable of handling more HP and torque than the R151F box installed in HZJ105 (inline 6 diesel) variant. Both gearboxes were reported to have the same gear rations and to be interchangeable but the dif ratios would be different between variants.
This leads me to conclude that the gearbox in my HJZ105 must have been exchanged by the truck's original farmer owner during his ownership some 8 years before I bought it from him.
My original post then refers exclusively to the H151F gearbox and not to the R151F box fitted as OEM to
HZJ105 variant.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Information from Toyota indicates that the H151F gearbox was only installed as OEM in FJZ100 (inline 6 petrol), HDJ100 (inline 6 turbo diesel) and UZJ100 (V8 petrol) variants as it was a stronger box capable of handling more HP and torque than the R151F box installed in HZJ105 (inline 6 diesel) variant. Both gearboxes were reported to have the same gear rations and to be interchangeable but the dif ratios would be different between variants.
This leads me to conclude that the gearbox in my HJZ105 must have been exchanged by the truck's original farmer owner during his ownership some 8 years before I bought it from him.
My original post then refers exclusively to the H151F gearbox and not to the R151F box fitted as OEM to
HZJ105 variant.
Well done Holmes, great detective work, the question is, are you going to find and fit a R151F box fitted as OEM to the HZJ105 variant?

Good Luck.

Well done Holmes, great detective work, the question is, are you going to find and fit a R151F box fitted as OEM to the HZJ105 variant?

Good Luck.
No, I am happy with the gearbox I have, especially after I located and replaced its unreliable back-up light switch :).

UPDATE:
HZJ105 variant.

Thanks for the answer to my question, I've always wondered about which 105 has the better transmission, from the post before it gave the clue of the fact that your truck had had a transmission upgrade to the h151f and a very popular upgrade if you are towing. Even with the h51f you should keep in 4th gear when you're towing heavy weight... no need for 5th as it's a little weaker 4th is direct drive and strong!

Good Luck.

Holmes! Holmes is suggesting to down grade to a r151f trans from a h151f upgrade! Do you know what you are saying?

Thanks for the answer to my question, I've always wondered about which 105 has the better transmission, from the post before it gave the clue of the fact that your truck had had a transmission upgrade to the h151f and a very popular upgrade if you are towing. Even with the h51f you should keep in 4th gear when you're towing heavy weight... no need for 5th as it's a little weaker 4th is direct drive and strong!

Holmes! Holmes is suggesting to down grade to a r151f trans from a h151f upgrade! Do you know what you are saying?
No, most of what I say to Watson is JibberJabber. :)

Back