Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

lockers shafts and diffs

THUNDER TRUCK

hello

i have a kzj with 35s on. i have a few sets of lj70 axles as spares which were for an off roader. I am looking at getting some form of lockers for the diffs. i am trying to find out if my kzj axles have the same spline count and if the diffs all will take the same shafts and am i right in thinking the lj has a 4.88 diff and the kzj has different?

any one used the truetrac lockers?

thanks michael

The splines are the same. The diff. ratio for the KZJ70 is 3.808 (from memory). I have a truetrac fitted into my rear diff.

Roger

how do you find the truetrac is it strong ? is it ok on the road thinking of putting one in each axle and changing the ring and pinion to the lower 4.88 or even lower to compensate for the 35s.

Well I haven't broken it yet!

On the road, it controls the rear end, and makes it more controllable. On test, I parked with the n/side wheel on wet grass and the o/side wheel on dry tarmac. Take off, using enough power to promote wheel spin on the tarmac, induced similar wheel spin on the n/side. In the rough, drive through iffy conditions is more controlled. If you lift a wheel, a momentary dab on the foot brake is sometimes needed to activate the diff.

I am considering fitting one into the front diff.

Roger

I bought mine from Milners.

Big Dave got his when he was in the states.

If you get a quote to import yours from the states, tell me before you order as I may get you to order a front one for me.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There isnt a UK supplier for Detroit! I tried everywhere. I ended up ordering from the US but the Import Tax and VAT was a killer, Id sugest looking for a supplier in the EU as You dont have to pay the import duty.

I have been looking at lockers and reading up over the weekend on different ones. i know a few lads running auzzie lockers in the front(lsd rear) of there isuzu and say there real. reading other reviews on the yank and oz forums and people give a big thumps up.

i have contacted the seller in the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251054975199?it ... 23&vxp=mtr

and he quoted me 75$ postage on up to 4 units. The locker in the link might not be the correct one for the kzj, i was just getting quotes trying to find the cheapest way of getting a few over here. i want one for the front of mine and rear.

Anyone have any idea how they behave on road when fitted to the front axle? Obviously I use 4wd in the snow and don't want to loose all steering in that situation if I go ahead and fit one..

Jim.

Caveat emptor !!!!!

Read the blurb, and then read it again !!!

They specifically tell you not to fit one in the front axle of a permanent 4 wheel drive Toyota.

Why?

Because they know it will create steering problems.

This type of diff. lock is normally locked, unlocking only when you corner. In all the info. sheets I have read concerning them, it was noted that there would be steering anomalies that you would need to get used to.

If you fit one in the front axle of a standard KZJ70 for instance, you would not have a problem whilst in rear wheel drive on a sealed road. The problems would start when 4 wheel drive is selected, as in wintry conditions or on a track. The unit would unlock to enable you to steer, but the process may not occur exactly when you want it to.

Roger

the lads who i know with them in the front all had to fit fwh. they have no problems with steering on the road or off road.snow and ice i dont know. off road they do alot of green lanes tracks rocks gravel they are not fans of mud. so this type of lock suit them.

i know of a person with a turetrac in the front and rear of his lj70 so does a truetrac never lock up 100 percent ? if you lift a wheel will it just spin it?

THUNDER TRUCK said:
the lads who i know with them in the front all had to fit fwh. they have no problems with steering on the road or off road.snow and ice i dont know. off road they do alot of green lanes tracks rocks gravel they are not fans of mud. so this type of lock suit them.

i know of a person with a turetrac in the front and rear of his lj70 so does a truetrac never lock up 100 percent ? if you lift a wheel will it just spin it?

A trutrac will transmit approx. 75-80% of traction. If you lift a wheel, a quick dab on the brakes will activate the system.

Roger

Thanks gents, think i'll leave it open up front then :)

There are a lot of guys in the US that run TrueTracks in the front axle, Ive heard of a few that plow with them so they must be pretty good in the snow and ice.

personally, i would not run a auto locker in the front of any vehicle i would be driving on road in 4wd in questionable conditions.
have i? yes, for years. this advice comes from experience and not book knowledge. manual locker front, auto locker rear ... works very well in all conditions. manual locker front and rear is of course the best option but big $$$$

question, there was a post that the KZ came with 3.08 in the diffs. can anyone confirm this?
cheers

:think:
personally, i count a limited slip as a waste of money ...
if you don't manually engage the locker then it is a auto locker.

A properly working LS diff. will not be as good as a Trutrac, and the Trutrac may not be as good as a fully locking diff. but horses for courses.

An LSD helps to control the back end during spirited cornering---they are fitted in high performance cars such as Aston Martins---and will help in off-road conditions. They are certainly better than an open diff.

A Trutrac does the same as an LSD, but better, and it doesn't wear out. Also, it can be fitted in the front axle and will operate correctly even when cornering.

A fully locking diff. operates as an open diff. until locked. You do not have the benefit of either the LSD or the Trutrac for controllability on a sealed surface. The locking diff may need a compressor for operation, and can suffer from wear and tear. If fitted in the front axle, it can create steering problems that range from "odd" to it wont steer at all.

If your desire is to build an off-roader that will conquer all, but may, ultimately, become unpleasant to drive on a normal road, then fit a fully locking diff or diffs, but as a serious alternative I would suggest the Trutrac.

Roger

I'm really thinking of having an auto locker 'auzzie' fitted to my rear diff. Is it a complex job? I fear it's beyond my capabilities. Is there someone who fits these?

What's the process?

I just felt my kzj70 would be so much better with a rear diff lock. I miss the diff locks I had at the ready on my amazon. (when they worked)...

Still prefer the 70 although a rear locker would be so cool.

Or am I not driving it right?

Back