Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Longrange fuel tank over pressure and dumping fuel

clintoau

Hello All,

As you can see, i'm new to this forum but desperate for any info regarding my problem.

On a hot day traveling a very slow speed offroad 5-20km/h I notice my fuel gauge start to drop very quickly, from under the 1/4 full mark but didnt notice anything untoward till we stoppped the car and the smell of petrol had us worried. Once out of the car, to see petrol pouring from the front chassis rail had us franticly unpacking essentials in fear of our very own fireworks show. After some confusion I released the fuel cap to an amazing and quite scary amount of pressure being released.

I understand that the dumping of fuel from the front of the car is a safety mechanism, but not what you want when your not sure how far to the next servo is while traveling remote tracks. Is this a common occurrence with long range tanks or do i have some faulty parts. I have read elsewhere about the need for a sealed system incase of rollover but I am not to sure about safety of having a 180 litre tank full of explosive vapours at high pressure hanging under theback of the car either.

To continue the trip with piece of mind I had to stop and vent manually every 30mins or so. So now i have to be carefull not to use too much of my auxilary tank (180L) so as to avoid any over pressuring, especially on hot days or travelling slowly.

Has anyone had any of these problems before? I would appreciate any advice on the subject.

Cheers,
Please note that going diesel is not an option just yet, V8 petrol for now....

Welcome to the club. :icon-biggrin:

It sounds to me like theirs a breather blocked, which isnt allowing air into the tank as the fuel level drops as the fuel is used. This in turn is pressurising the entire tank. :think:

Normally theirs a small breather hole in the fuel cap. Check this isnt blocked, you might need to clean it out with a thin piece of wire or using compressed air. :icon-wink:

Back