Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking at buying a 92 Land, need information please.

92land

First off I'm new here, if this is posted in the wrong place please let me know.

I'm looking at buying a 92 land cruiser, it has about 150,000 miles on it, the inside looks ok, he does say it has a power steering leak. I haven't looked it over to see if it's a seal, hose, or the pump.

Is the 92 a good buy? What things should I be looking for when I inspect it? What things tend to fail the most? Thanks for any and all help.

I think the two main weak-points on anything pre 95 are engine big end bearings and front stub axle failures. Post 92 you get rear disc brakes and a viscous coupling. I originally went to england to buy a 92 that was immaculate on top but a total rust bucket below and as I was walking away he showed my another one in the yard which was the one I bought. The rear difflocker on all models can corrode ,but if you are not intending to go offroading then I guess it makes little difference and the truck is still extremely capable without it. I removed mine about six months ago and fitted a blanking plate with a hole in it and tied the locker off until such times I get a chance to repair it or replace it. SO I'd say a good engine and no body or chassis rust then your good to go. Just don't pay to much for it and I would estimate 'too much' to be anything over £3500 if it is in excellent condition.

p.s I have a leaking power steering box from the day I bought it but just keep topping it up. Is it the Pump or Box that is leaking? I think the Box is on the drivers side at the front of the chassis and the pump on the passenger side but not 100% sure...

Last edited:
Back