Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to get into the 100 series

MichaelB96

Country Flag
england
Copied from the introduce yourself page as I'm not sure how much traffic that bit gets!

Hi chaps,

I've been wanting to get in to the off roading game for a while for some potential trips across Europe (probably Norway way) and camping trips. Naturally a BIG 4x4 would be ideal for such an occasion and the obvious choice for comfort, ability, space and reliability is the land cruiser amazon. I'm really excited at the prospect of owning one and decided I best come to a forum for some insights. I'd be hoping to buy in on a budget (so if anyone is selling or planning on selling one on the cheap for a high miler let me know!). Also whilst I am used to low MPG what sort of figures can I expect from the 4.2td when cruising at say 60mph? I suspect it depends on what's been done but say its stock. Also do people have any joy on running on veg oil or am I best to stick to the pumps? Excited and thank you in advance for any advice you give!

There's a huge difference in the interpretation of what is meant by "off roading", if you mean doing a few green lanes, some gravel fire roads or just the 100meters across the grass to a camp spot, hen you'd be probably be alright in most suv type vehicles.

There are lots of variables to your post. How many people? how self sufficient do you want to be. Sleep in on or around the vehicle. what maintenance skills do you have and are prepared to do.

100 series are very capable but buying cheap will normally (but not always) mean a longer preparation list, less history, rust or abused.

You don't need lots of kit or fancy truck to do what you say. There are lots of posts in here that will help you.

I started this exact same journey 3 years ago and there are always hiccups, like the governments shutting borders and travel restrictions.

I appreciate the honest assessment of buying in cheaper however I have a reasonably good history on buying in at bottom dollar for the RIGHT car. Cheap doesn't always mean heap, it can be a lot of the time but I like to find the diamond in the rough and do my little bit on tinkering. I'm reasonably well equipped and competent for repairs.

What am I going to be using it for? First off I was thinking a road trip across Scotland using predetermined off road routes available online. My first time out I want to be taking it moderately easy and maybe find my legs before jumping in the deep end. End goal would be a trip to the northern parts of norway/Sweden and camp under the northern lights. (That's my vision anyway)
I could almost certainly do these trips in cheaper vehicles but I have always liked the amazon's and its a bit of a bucket list buy and ultimately I really want to do it but I have a weird compulsion to find the very cheapest of a certain car and make it good/new lease of life job. Something very fulfilling about the whole experience and when you've achieved what you set out to do and when you look back at the car that you've nursed into good health you feel a sense accomplishment. All very wistful and plenty of swearing while spanners in the interim but I sense an amazon could become part of the family.

There aren't "off road routes" in Scotland as there are green lanes in England. All land north of the wall is owned and requires land owner consent to use it. Having tried 3 different estates last year to get permission and all declined enjoy trying to get this.

There are companies that work with estates to do experiences of 2 or 3 days but a coast to coast trip would be very dependant on land owners. Also factor in the recent issues with "dirty campers" and the pressure from stay cationers, a few areas are really clamping down. Scotish access rights dont extend to vehicles and recently a group in landrover users we critisied in the media even though they were within the law.

Iam not saying it can't be done but it needs to be considerate and we'll planned.

As for mpg in my loaded diesel 100, 2 adults 2 children, rtt, 30l water, 285s ATs, on cruise at 70mph I got 19.5mpg on the way. Round Scotland 19.3 and on the way home 19.7

Check out the Kintyre Peninsula, really pretty and not overly hit by gin palaces.

I also stand by what I said regarding price. The second hand market is strong currently and prices are high. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
As said above you really need to know what you plan to need a vehicle for before commiting to something that possibly won't meet your criteria.

That said I could POSSIBLY be persuaded to sell my 100 series as I'm after something a bit newer and that the Mrs is willing to drive (so probably a 120 series) !

Hi Paul, drop me a message and we can see if we can possibly come to an agreement! I would message you however I haven't quite figured that out yet

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's a GX without AHC just listed in the classifieds section on here if you don't mind a manual. Or there was a more kitted out 100 a few weeks ago. Great vehicles for the sort of thing you're talking about. Best of luck with your search. All the focus is on the 80 series so I'm sure you'll find something good to work with.

As for fuel, hovering around 23 but nudging 30 hypermiling in the truck lane. Never done veg oil but runs perfectly on commercial biodiesel.

Last edited:
If you are heading to nordkapp, and planning on camping up & down, that needs a fair bit of prep. And not the same prep as heading out to Pyrenees. So keep that in mind.

Have you done any off-road / self supported long distance travel before ? Everyone is assuming not.

For fuel, my 105 is equipped to do ~ 800miles on hard surface. At the moment I have no plans of going anywhere where diesel may not be available in a 800m radius, and I try to stay close to topped up (rationally!) when out.

Never done any serious offroading. Mucked about in a friend's field but not much at all. As said I'd be starting light and working my way into it. Might eventually invest in uprated lockers for front diff and maybe the rear as I see the rear lockers tend to break on these and if I'm going to fix i may as well uprate. Get the typical sort of gear for offroading and winch etc. Wouldn't be getting too carried away before the car was properly equipped.

Yeah, start simple and build the truck up to your own spec as you go and get more extreme.

Remember these are very capable vehicles and will do quite a lot in their default setup.

With the interest in LandCruisers at the moment I'm afraid it usually does. The ones being broken for spares command prices you wouldn't believe.
"Doing" a 100 series up will defiantly creep up and jump on your wallet.
Tell me about it. Baselining has cost a small fortune, now sorting the surface rust and windscreen surround. Still, keeps me out of the children's and wife's hair.

Copied from the introduce yourself page as I'm not sure how much traffic that bit gets!

Hi chaps,

I've been wanting to get in to the off roading game for a while for some potential trips across Europe (probably Norway way) and camping trips. Naturally a BIG 4x4 would be ideal for such an occasion and the obvious choice for comfort, ability, space and reliability is the land cruiser amazon. I'm really excited at the prospect of owning one and decided I best come to a forum for some insights. I'd be hoping to buy in on a budget (so if anyone is selling or planning on selling one on the cheap for a high miler let me know!). Also whilst I am used to low MPG what sort of figures can I expect from the 4.2td when cruising at say 60mph? I suspect it depends on what's been done but say its stock. Also do people have any joy on running on veg oil or am I best to stick to the pumps? Excited and thank you in advance for any advice you give!
My best mate is selling his 4.2 Amazon. It’s not pristine but a pretty good example with no live rust and mechanically sound. It had some rust in the rear cross member which was cut and welded. I told him to check the windscreen area (he’s not a car guy) and reckons it’s clear. 1999 manual GX so rear locker (not working), rear springs not the phaffy AHC and cloth seats. 255k miles. BT Touchscreen head unit. He’s owned it about a year and realised it’s too much car for him. He’s asking £7500 for it with no tax but 12m MOT, and is in Cornwall. PM me if you want his number, he’s as honest as they come.

I’m a total FTE Addict and there’s no doubt these are one of the absolute best wagons for long range extreme conditions touring (just behind a 105 ;)) just a shame you don’t get the factory sub tanks - although these need upgrading front the pissy 45L anyway.

On diff locks - in aus where we don’t have rust issues the factory lockers are well regarded. The big debate is ARB abs TJM air lockers vs Harrup e-lockers, with factory always regarded as equal best. Strong and reliable, only
Issue being you need a non standard axle. Personally I’d fix a factory one rather than install an aftermarket, but maybe air lockers cope with mud/salt/rust better?

Last edited:
sorry diesel guys. I left and took up with the Petrol Amazon - its absolutely FANTASTIC- runs on LPG and I have done 120,000 miles on that LPG with fantastic results (I bought at 20,000 Miles) ... I get about 32 - 38MPG at 80+MPH with 5 people in. I regularly travel UK thru France and Spain to the Algarve, perfect for long or short comfortable runs. Some years back we took it over tracks only from Perpignan in the Pyrenees all the way to San Sebastian in Spain - thats over 600 Miles up and down rough tracks and over open grassy fields thru park , farms, closed tracks with rock fall - took about 8 days camping with a cover off the roof rails to pegs in the ground - bloody fantastic trip - would do it again any time. .. we even saw Marmot/deer/badger/wolf/wild boar. I have never taken my car through the bonkers stuff like deep rivers or 1M deep holes, just fairly tough and stunningly beautiful terrain. I am moving over seas this year so want to sell my UK 2005 V8 RHD Amazon Burgundy red with beige interior any time soon - very sadly .... GRRRRR

sorry diesel guys. I left and took up with the Petrol Amazon - its absolutely FANTASTIC- runs on LPG and I have done 120,000 miles on that LPG with fantastic results (I bought at 20,000 Miles) ... I get about 32 - 38MPG at 80+MPH with 5 people in. I regularly travel UK thru France and Spain to the Algarve, perfect for long or short comfortable runs. Some years back we took it over tracks only from Perpignan in the Pyrenees all the way to San Sebastian in Spain - thats over 600 Miles up and down rough tracks and over open grassy fields thru park , farms, closed tracks with rock fall - took about 8 days camping with a cover off the roof rails to pegs in the ground - bloody fantastic trip - would do it again any time. .. we even saw Marmot/deer/badger/wolf/wild boar. I have never taken my car through the bonkers stuff like deep rivers or 1M deep holes, just fairly tough and stunningly beautiful terrain. I am moving over seas this year so want to sell my UK 2005 V8 RHD Amazon Burgundy red with beige interior any time soon - very sadly .... GRRRRR
Go on then - what’s your secret? That’s two to three times better fuel consumption than any other UZJ100 in the world…

Secret? there is none - ask away .... this is the 4.7 Petrol Amazon running on LPG. to help with slightly extra power and fuel consumption there is an ignition tightener installed, and one of those self cleanable air-filters, also makes the engine smoother - no other 'secrets' .... I do not actually think this is anything special - people with the Prinz LPG are getting similar results here ..... pretty good for a 3.2 ton truck doing 80MPH and freighted .... I have to say I would sooner have this than most other super efficient VW or Mercs available today - especially with the ££ depreciation those cars suffer

I'm willing to bet my life you aren't getting 32mpg doing 80mph. LPG is less energy dense than petrol and usually results in reduced power/consumption. Are you referring to equivalent MPG due to the reduced price of LPG?

Back