Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lost power and cut out

silvercruiser

Morning All

My Colorado let me down this morning (1st time in 7 years so not bad)

I had driven with my family to have breakfast (about 6 mile) Parked up, had breakfast, jumped back in the car and set off. i got about 3 mile from home and went to pull off the roundabout and lost a bit of power but then picked up again. As i exited the roundabout it lost power again only managing to pull about 30mph then the engine management light came up. So i put my hazards on and as i pulled over to the side of the road it lost all power and cut out. I looked in the mirror and it had blue smoke.

I lifted the bonnet and all fluids all ok no split hoses. fuel primer still rock hard. i give it a spin over and it wouldn't fire, Phone dad up for landrover rescue!! while im waiting i give it another turn over but for a bit longer this time and it starts, very lumpy, i give it a bootfull and a lot of black smoke came out which turned to blue and then white and then it cleared.

I still waited for a tow incase it cut out again on the dual carriage. Once home i took it for a drive round the block and its back to normal, no smoke and full power. any suggestions:icon-question:

Wonder if you've dragged a bit of crap through the fuel lines,take your fuel filter off and pour it out and inspect it for crap,easy and cheap check.hope you get to the bottom of it buddy

yeah, for the price of a filter its worth a check. i only serviced it a little while ago changing all the filters, but if there is any rubbish in the tank or lines its still possible to partially block the filter.

Personally i wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again , i'm thinking a solid lump of carbon let go preventing fuel from burning and the black smoke was that getting expelled followed by white smoke which was unburnt fuel . Treat it to a bottle of wynns fuel treatment and a can of wynns egr spray and see how she goes .

Did you have anything to pull the codes with? Bridge te1 and e1 to pull the codes

Personally i wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again , i'm thinking a solid lump of carbon let go preventing fuel from burning and the black smoke was that getting expelled followed by white smoke which was unburnt fuel . Treat it to a bottle of wynns fuel treatment and a can of wynns egr spray and see how she goes .

Yeah hopefully its cleared its self now. i like it when you can see something broken and fix it, not intermittent faults that keep you on the egde of your seat lol.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep that's the one,

the ecu light will blink 4 times pause, then twice and repeat etc giving you a code of 42.

if no codes it will just keep blinking around 1 second intervals

Last edited:
Is the light stil on ? would any code be found if it isn't ?

Ok thanks Jbecks il give it a try.

the light has gone now but hopefully it has logged a code.

Normally no, but 3sgte engines have had fault codes appear but no check engine light, but for a simple test that takes one minute it's no harm.

If its peace of mind your looking for whip the turbo to throttle body pipe off and have a look how clean it isn't .

Right i have put the link wire in.

The engine management light does 1 blink followed by 4 blinks and then i get 9 blinks short pause followed by another 9 blinks.

so what i can make out is, i have two faults. 1st fault No.14 the second No.99 i think the second fault could be an old one from when i was programming the second key a while back.

fault No.14 is open or short in TCV circuit,Blocked fuel filter, Injection pump internal pressure *ECU. according to max ellery.

So the first theory could of been correct and ive dragged some rubbish into the filter. so i shall order another filter and start with the cheapest first.

Last edited:
It could also be worth taking the gauze filters of the fuel pump and cleaning them too

Yeah il have a look while im in there.

Here is a short clip just to confirm ive read it right.

th_IMG_0445.mp4.jpg

Thanks for everyones help,i hope this is a fairly easy fix. and it doesnt rear its ugly head agian.
Il let you know the outcome in due course.

yeah 14 and 99,

99 is immobilizer so discount that,

14 - is related to the spill control valve,

change the filter and clean the gauze filters inside the fuel pump, the timing control valve works in conjunction with the spill control valve, check the resistances as per the workshop manual for the both and the relay, from going by what happened it could possibly be the relay which is the culprit.

yeah 14 and 99,

99 is immobilizer so discount that,

14 - is related to the spill control valve,

change the filter and clean the gauze filters inside the fuel pump, the timing control valve works in conjunction with the spill control valve, check the resistances as per the workshop manual for the both and the relay, from going by what happened it could possibly be the relay which is the culprit.

Il check this while im in there and hit it all in one go.

Back