Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

loud bang from front driver side wheel

richtwist

hi all,
yesterday i was useing the cruiser to move some trailers, useing low box,
then there was a loud bang, i got out to have a look, and found a bolt on the floor,
I jacked her up, and i can turn the front wheel half a turn be for it bites the drive,
normally it only moves a few inch befor it bites,
do we think its the drive shaft or cv joint or axle
any help appreciated
thanks rich

I think the first task is to work out where the bolt is from.

A bolt on the floor wouldnt indicate CV joint.

How wbout the front end of the propshaft, all bolts still there?

Is the bolt sheared?

Pete

driving colarado 90,
its the drivers side, bolt fell nr wheel, so its other side to prop,
no the bolt is not sheared, its 2 1/4 in long with a 17mm head, partley threaded with a washer?

The play would suggest a drive line bolt like on the prop. Over 2" long is quite a long bolt though... Also check control arm bolts, bottom shock mounting bolts, and possibly steering rack bolts (but don't think any of them have fitted washers).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
no the bolt is not sheared, its 2 1/4 in long with a 17mm head, partley threaded with a washer?

Me again - from the 'Dark Side' :lol:

That sounds like a Bell Housing bolt.

It wouldn't cause play at the wheel - but it could indicate a great strain on the transmission.

What on earth were you moving :shock:

It could also be a front diff mounting bolt (though they look a bit longer than that ?):

Front Axle Housing & Differential Assembly - Diagram.jpg

Best of luck with it.

Bob.

Could the bolt have already been on the ground before the loud bang and not even be from your vehicle, but just some misc bolt that you parked over?!

I bet if you posted a photo of the bolt, most of us could identify it :icon-ugeek: :icon-smile:

Last edited:
right,
ive jacked up the front,back still on the floor, car in gear,
i can spin both front wheels easy on there own and the opp one does not spin and i can here a clicking sound nr the diff, then spin it the other way and the opp one will spin like it should, feels like its slipping somewhere,
f####d diff??
as to the bolt, ive looked everywhere and all could find is a bolt missing from bellhousein, i had the clutch changed last year..............

as to the bolt, ive looked everywhere and all could find is a bolt missing from bellhousein, i had the clutch changed last year..............

YES :dance: - Do I get a prize :whistle:

As the front wheels appear to be 'catching' in one direction, but not the other, I suspect a snapped drive shaft - at the inner end where it is splined into the diff pinion.

The angle of the break could be acting like a ratchet.

If that supposition is correct you may get away with replacing a drive shaft.

However, the front diffs on a '90' are not very strong (fitting lockers is not recommended) so a diff rebuild may be on the cards.

Time to pull it all apart I'm afraid :icon-cry:

Bob.

I'll be interested to see what this turns out to be.

Mike

Last edited:
looks like i need a diff, :icon-cry:
any one got any numbers for breakers or maybe someone to rebuild it??

you could try jap auto parts in birmingham for a recon/refurb front diff, they are breakers as well and one of the owners is a cruiser fan. but they are a little relaxed and have earned mixed reactions to their service, parts in my experience are good but service not so.

mind you there are lots of people on the forums who may be able to provide you with a replacement diff should you need one.

Last edited:
Have you removed the oil drain plug to check for lumps of metal and or swarfe?

In future don't lock the centre diff on hard ground, you will wind up the transmission to the point of failure as you have found out.
These vehicles don't have a low range unlocked centre diff option, its either High (open) High (locked) or Low( locked).

new diff fitted!! back on the road, tho now got a nice vibration when accelerating, and worse when pulling a trailer, any ideas??

feels in the driveline, front,
all ive done is fitted 2nd hand front diff, i was thinking maybe bearing in diff or drive shaft?

Back