Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Low EGTs ???

vrecha

So, I installed an EGT gauge. I did this also on my previous LandCruiser (KZJ95) and it was really a good thing because in that engine (1KZ-TE) you could easily produce EGTs around 850°C and even more if not being careful. It really changed my driving style, esp. uphills.

So I did this also on HDJ81 with 1HD-T machine. I chose a unit of a reasonably quality (Auber inst.), I tested it before installing (it performed accurately showing a variety of air temp in last months and also showed that water in my kettle boiled at 97°C - good). Last week I installed and wired everything. Sensor before turbo, just as it should be.

Now I'm a little surprised of the temp. readings.

Easy driving, ~40 Mph: EGT 250-300 °C
Ideling after driving: EGT ~ 160 °C
Highway, constant driving, 60-70 Mph: EGT < 500°C, averaging ~400°C

It is almost impossible to reach 700°C. Flooring the gas pedal, driving like idiot without any feeling for the truck and the EGT climbs over 600 but lowers instantly when the driver stops abusing the machine.

On LCOOL and IH8Mud forums you can usually read opposite stories of high EGTs.
OK, my truck is close to standard, very likely that nobody ever touched the injection pump, runs with almost no smoke (a very little at cold startups and when highwaying at over 85 Mph), tests were so far been done only with no cargo. But I could not say it lacks power or torque, so far I never needed more that it could offer.

So, what do you think of this? Normal? :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Those temps sound OK whilst leaving a little room for some tuning :)

How many miles has the truck done?

Nice to hear that. :D

The truck has done 220000 km, 40000 in last nine months.

find a really long hill whilst towing a trailer, stick the truck in a high gear and plant your foot to the floor. The EGT will shoot through the roof.

600 means you won't be overstressing the engine at least, and doesn't seem an unreasonable proposition- don't forget the engine nbeeds to maintain those EGTs whilst climbing thick sand dunes with 1 tonne of kit in 50degree heat.

Anything over 750 and yo start to get into the realms of piston melting!

Mine is around 800 - 850F (about 450c) when cruising along the motorway at 65 - 70

but rises rapidly when labouring up a hill, I have learnt to change my driving style a bit there,

As for clawing up soft dunes in the heat the EGT is an invaluable thing.............but having said that so is the auto fluid temp guage!!!

Andy

Andy said:
As for clawing up soft dunes in the heat the EGT is an invaluable thing.............but having said that so is the auto fluid temp guage!!!
Oh god yeah- have you ever played the "trade off EGT v Auto box temp game?" All good fun.

You are ok if you can drop the box into thrid low, get the box to lockup and raise the revs of the engine in the process- box stays cool and engine temps decrease. its when you're sloggin up hill in 2nd low (or even first) that you know you're in trouble.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, been there, done that!!!!!!

its amazing how the engine water temp & auto box temps drop so dramatically once locked up in low isnt it.

I am now considering (as soon as funds permit), the wholesale automatics extreme valve body

2nd gear lockup is very useful and well worth having.

Hi there,

I'm getting the same range of EGT temperatures as you do although my engine is 1HD-FT. The temperatures rarely go over 600 degrees.

My EGT is also measured pre-turbo - using the same gauge. I think that this temperatures are ok and they are not too low.

Tomaz

Nice to hear that ...

Anyway, as discussion is on, there was similar topic discussed at LCOOL site. Although most have probably noticed it I'm linking it for the sake of having useful info together.

-----
Off-topic, @tom cruiser:
Nice to meet you at this internationalised LC place! :greetings-waveyellow:
As we live close to each other it is probably time to meet also in person and have a word or two ...

Back