Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LR td5 intercooler onto a 1kz-te

Mark Meggy

as above, has anyone fitted a LR td5 front mount intercooler to their LC?
I am in the process of removing my head for pressure testing and a new gasket set and general clean up, while i am there i am removing the aircon condensor and pump. Now that i have all this lovely under bonnet real estate i am toying with the idea of fitting a td5 intercooler i happen to have lying around, in the void where the aircon condensor was.
Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!
Nice.
Mark

I am also looking into intercooler options for my 90, so would be interested to know how much effort is involved in making this work.

What about getting the intercooler off a 90 (Prado) import? :idea: There must be a few being broken - maybe give Karl a shout on here?

If you're removing the air con :!: Why not leave the compressor in place & turn it into a massive CFM air pump :D :thumbup: It's not very difficult especially if the pump is already in place :)

Why not leave the compressor in place & turn it into a massive CFM air pump

If you're talking about supplementing the air in-take, then this is a poor man's very crude and inefficient supercharger?
You're still not solving the issue of removing heat from the air being heated by compression...

How are you going to generate big CFM with an aircon compressor, which pumps very small CFM? :think:

Andrew Prince said:
Why not leave the compressor in place & turn it into a massive CFM air pump

If you're talking about supplementing the air in-take, then this is a poor man's very crude and inefficient supercharger?
You're still not solving the issue of removing heat from the air being heated by compression...

How are you going to generate big CFM with an aircon compressor, which pumps very small CFM? :think:
:? I'm talking about for blowing up tyres & running air tools without a receiver tank (air con pump can give up to 9CFM :o Some York compressors can give 15+CFM from what I understand) is this what you're talking about :?: :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry this is a bit off topic I know & this is a link to a LR forum but it's got to be worth considering this modification if your talking about removing your air con http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2115&hl= :D Besides you are talking about fitting an LR intercooler so I don't feel so bad about the link :D ;)

Sorry, I'm with you now, Steven! I wrongly assumed you were talking about using the a/c compressor to feed air to the engine - i.e. generating more power as would be the idea with an intercooler.

Yes, it would make better sense as a source of air for tools, tyres, lockers etc!

lol @ poor mans supercharger!
it is a good idea that i have already considered but at the moment i just want to sort out reliability, i shall of course be hanging onto the pump as it is, as i said, a good idea.
anyway, i shall be having a look at the td5 intercooler later in the week to see how feasible it is...

Back