Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

M20/M2 with Calais nonsense?

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Been keeping a close eye on the situation in Calais, as we are booked to sail on Friday from Dover. Just wondering if anybody on the ground in the area has feedback on the sort of delays on the approach to Dover?? I see operation stack is in full effect and closures on the M20 are frequent.

We're going with DFDS, so no worries about sailing as they are diverting to Dunkirk.

Hi Bob, I'm not in the area but iPhone maps shows traffic on the M20 today from the tunnel turn all the way to the docks in Dover which in my experience may well take an hour or more to get through. When I've gone before, I've used the A2 as it ends at the docks entrance and even today has very little traffic on it.

If you have access to an iPhone, I've found them really useful for real time traffic info both before and on journeys.

In fact the traffic shows to have improved slightly even since I started writing this. Here's a screen grab.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435729915.174265.jpg

I think monitor it is all you can do and as always, leave in plenty of time. I've had huge delays once before on the A20 and had to get the next boat. A2 definitely better.

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks Richard, I've plenty of experience of regular M20 delays, and have missed a ferry or two because of that! One year they had the tunnel half closed to work on expansion joints.. 2 hours...

I think the A2 might be a good idea, as there's diversions off the M20 anyway.. I'll keep an eye out. 2 more days to get sorted! Only have to get as far as Hove tomorrow

Whenever I've used the A2 because of a bit of traffic on the A20 it's been pretty clear. That could all change of course!!

Good luck with your trip.

Patchy network where I am - looking for some help re status of issues at channel tunnel for car train. Due to come back Sunday - is industrial action affecting that too or just ferry services? Know there was a fire but not much else really. Thanks!

Tunnel is closed intermittently, will keep updating this as I watch it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back