Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

manual gearbox for 1994 80 series

Steve10

Hi

Does anyone have one for sale or know where I maybe able to get one from?

thanks

Steve

Try Karl Webster or Steff on here. Rare as hen's teeth though really.

Chris

Hi Steve,

I'm guessing your looking for a manual gearbox, to convert your auto 80 series to a manual, and get rid of your problematic auto box?

I pulled,this quote:
Jon Wildsmith said:
Putting a manual in will mean you need to swap the diffs as well not just the box, they use different ratios and a manual will struggle with auto diff gears.
From this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12269&hilit=+manual+auto+diff
Jon Wildsmith said:
manual is 3.7, auto is 4.1
I hope that's of some help. It's certainly not impossible to convert, but you'll need a few extra bits, and to take into consideration the affect the diff's will have on the gearing.

Regards.

I'm not very good at all that ratio stuff Scott - what effect would it have? I mean which way? If this vehicle is going to be converted into some sort of swamp monster for example with oversize tyres say 35 - 37 what would happen then? Would it double the trouble or actually be going the right way for Steve?

Chris

That statement of mine is the wrong way round really - a manual on an auto gears will be over geared on standard tyres so not good for cruising but would be ok with bigger tyres. It's an auto on gears from a manual that would struggle, especially if you then put over sized tyres on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon - Sorry if quoting your previous posts doesn't read correctly, I did a search and your posts were the ones that came up, as your quite knowledgable/experienced on the subject. (Feel free to edit the post so that it doesn't cause any confusion).

The point I wanted to make Steve aware of, was that the diff ratios are different between a manual and an auto, something that I learned on this forum. So that if Steve was to install a manual gearbox in place of his faulty auto gearbox, he wouldn't be taken by surprise when he found that his 80 was no longer geared as Mr T had intended.

Chris - A manual running through 4.1 diffs and running standard size tyres, would cause the engine to revolve faster for a given road speed. So it would cause the engine to rev faster at motorway speeds than it did originally.

It's my statement that's not clear Scott, not your quoting, I've fixed that :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply's chaps.

The car is running 285/85/16 tyres and I don't intend to fit anything bigger.

Can I check I have understood things correctly?

Assuming I swap the box to a manual and leave the axles as they are then the car will cope fine but it will rev higher at motorway speeds (which presumably means it will be less economical)?

Or are you guys saying that it will struggle at motor way speeds?

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers

Steve

it will rev higher which will be most noticeable at motorway speeds. However, if you have 285x85x16's that should be a welcome improvement and cruise well but if on the other hand you really have 285x75x16's then it will be less economical but you could always slow down a bit. Either way it will pull better up hills.

thanks Jon. I only cruise at about 65mph ish anyway, can't afford to drive it any faster!

And, yes I meant 285/75/16!

Back