Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manual shift boot problem

t00manyusers

Country Flag
united_arab_emirates
Folks, does anyone have a picture of how the manual shift boot disassembles? I wanted to replace the leather for mine and got a replacement one, but I couldn’t quite get my existing one off because it was glued to the bracket. So I peeled it off, but the new one totally does not fit. Do I have a bush repaired existing one, or what did I do here? Any help welcome. The twisted metal clips made me think it’s bush repaired but I don’t know now.

5B2D4CB1-CD30-4C93-890C-A81E2AFAA042.jpegF4374EA5-93FB-4AFB-9D8E-CFBD6815433C.jpegA62E4C1B-F0A4-40CD-8344-8A6F3A40828A.jpeg57F45AA9-2BEE-4B2A-9DBD-290FFFCA2941.jpeg

I'm going to guess that metal frame was stolen from another car of a similar set up and the console plastic has been trimmed to make it fit .

So I’ve spent the whole day figuring it out and huge facepalm. It looks like my brand new boot is from a facelifted 80 - the console is slightly different, and the mounting process seems to be different. On the pre face lift, the boot was glued onto that metal bracket. On the facelift, it’s a metal wire that seems to clip in, and as a result, the dimensions are slightly different. So I ripped mine off without knowing it, so now I either glue it back on or try to manufacture a new one. Argh!

Doesn't look a million miles from fitting and you could trim the outer of the frame .

Yeah you're right. I thought maybe it stretched, but comparing the distance between stitches, there's no way it would ever fit. Guess I have a brand new facelift shift boot for sale... going to see if I can sew a new one together or something.

Back