Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Maps for anywhere in the world on Memory Map

Pumpy

Country Flag
england
Been trying to crack this for ages! Check these screenshots out

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/Springerpumpy/Screenshot 16_zpsw1rv7w5t.png

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/Springerpumpy/Screenshot 17_zpsytrwa0as.png

I've only gone and got Centro de Descargas 1:50k Spainish Mapping into Memory Map format

Now to work out how to get the other 200 tiles downloaded, calibrated, joined together, and add some OSM with contours French stuff for over the boarder - this could take some time :lol:

Same process for anywhere in the world too :dance:

used Map2MapC and this method, should work for any format on pretty much anything!
http://faq.walkingworld.com/afmmain.aspx?faqid=67

Map2MapC program - £15
3rd party imports Memory Map licence - £15
Worldwide Maps on Memory Map Interface - Priceless :character-beavisbu:

Last edited:
I use oziexplorer and mapmerge add-on to do all of this.

I use oziexplorer and mapmerge add-on to do all of this.

Aye Wout was telling me he uses oziexplorer and make the maps with MOBAC 1.8 with the 4umaps.eu as the mapsource.

I had a look at Ozi, found the interfce a bit 1980's, couldn't find if the track draw tools could be made wider like you can on MM (I'd need reading glasses unless the track was pretty wide). I have all UK OS 50k in MM format so I use it more than anything, wanted one program to do the lot without having to replace my UK maps.

Ozi would cost me Euro 79 +25 for andriod version +25 for 3D +29 for the map merge = 158 euro and I'd have to replace all my expensive UK OS mapping for OSM stuff!

I know OSM stuff is improving all the time but I used Wikiloc with OSM mapping in the Alps, found it was all a bit toy/clunky and the maps were nowhere near as good as the IGN stuff some of our lot were using on Memory Map and View Ranger, so I figured if I could convert the IGN/official 50k maps I'd be quids in, use OSM stuff or anything else where I can't.

I reckon I've cracked it too:dance:

I'm sure its great where you can get OS/IGN type mapsets, however these aren't available world wide.

For my Morocco Trips, I'd love OS standard maps but the best there is is either Russian military mapping or IGN from the 60's, both old and massively out of date.

OSM Maps are free, work with free garmin desktop software, do turn by turn nav off-road and on my Garmin Montana. By using some other free software I can then combine mapsets into my own custom maps, I now have OSM mapping for Morocco and the Western Sahara with Topographic details.

And now I get any format into MM I've got the best of both worlds :dance:

I could even layer different versions of maps over each other and create the best of all worlds mapping:icon-ugeek:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I managed to source the whole of uk OS GB maps in ozi format, and all of France IGN and all of Spain, and Iceland, Romania, Slovakia and more - in ozi format... For.... Free....

If you have Ordnance Survey Landranger or Explorer maps for UK, then these are likely illegal counterfeit maps.

You can get free digital maps for the UK from the OS Open Data (iirc) web site. The only thing they're still holding back is the minor rights of way I guess to stop Memory Map etc having a fit about it. The Spanish maps are good, used those a few years ago in TE.

Think the issue is only with OS Landranger or Explorer maps products, which are the best for ROW details.

Memory Map & Viewranger use a proprietry format, you can buy a £15 licence from Memory map to import any map you've made/found/scanned, Ozi maps whatever, no such thing with ViewRanger as they expect you to buy their mapping.

There are literally hundreds of programs & apps thesdays, some cost others are free, I spent a whole day looking at options, since I have licenced 50k Landranger series on MM getting the 3rd party licence was the best option for me, it'll cover anywhere I want to go worldwide without forking out another big wodge on Ozi software, if I was starting from scratch maybe Ozi would have been better as it seems better integrated for map manipulation, still think the interface needs improvement/updating tho.

Given the crowd-source softwares out there like wikiloc and other OSM offerings I doubt it'll be too long before there's something better without any cost, or indeed using multiple 3rd party offerings you can combine to do it now as MarkW has pointed out.

About time the cost of GPS mapping solutions came down tho! I was looking at a product at Billing LR show that had all the mapping sorted worldwide, it was only being bundled on high end mil spec tablets tho, the 10" version was over £1700, I don't think he realised his new business model had already been surpassed with pretty much free solutions!

I used to keep a dedicated mini PC in the truck for mapping but now use a super cheap Windows 10 / Andriod dual boot 7" tablet that is cheap enough you could carry a spare one if it mattered enough! I am biased in using the software I wrote myself but none of the alternatives work very well for me when I am driving. Maps used to be hard to get but there's a lot of good quality free mapping these days if you look for it.

When I went to Kap Nord, to Romania and to the Alps I downloaded maps from OSM through OziExplorer on a PC I run in the car. This year I was in South Africa and downloaded a set of the same for Garmin, put them on an SD card and just used the Garmin. The OSM maps were great in all cases showing road and dirt track, including the dirt tracks in the Carpathians and Alps, and the tracks in the South African National Parks.

The advantage of using the Garmin is that you get turn by turn directions to way point and desitantion, but on the other hand with OziExlorer you can plot the route you want to take in advance and follow it rather than let the gps calculate your route. Having said that I think you might be able to do the same with the Garmin, but I havent tried it. The OS maps are interesting I'll have a look at those.

Back