Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Matching aux batteries and DCDC chargers....how close does the voltage range need to be?

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Hi all
I have the Redarc 1225 dcdc charger. Now I find I need to change the aux battery.
You can choose the battery charging profile for AGM, Li, gel or std lead.
I had my eye on a Victron 110ah battery AGM.

The Victron data sheet says that the recommended charge voltages for its batteries are as follows:
Float Voltages range: 13.5 -13.8
Absorption voltage range: 14.2 - 14.9

The Redarc says that on the AGM profile the maximum voltage is 15.3 V and the float voltage is 13.3V.
So the 15.3 is above the fast charge Victron range of 14.9.
And the 13.3 is below the Victron range of 13.5

So my question is are the Redarc and Vic battery compatible? Are these voltages close enough or will the battery be damaged? Or damaged in a meaningful way?
Many thanks

Can you not change the charge profile manually? I know i can on my Victron dcdc.

Hi Allan - yes I can but I can’t reduce the max charge to the 14.9 recommended by victron.
I can reduce the maximum to 15.0 v which is just above the 14.9v.
I am no electrical expert so I was hoping others would be able to confirm that this is close enough not to be dangerous and not to materially damage the battery life.

If you use charging profile A it goes to 14.6V (so leave Orange wire disconnected)

Where are you installing it? (Engine bay or Cab?)

Are you using the super cycle or deep cycle Victron?

N

Hi Nick
yes profile A is prob best. Although
I thought long and hard about engine bay vs cabin, but in the end decided cabin. That way all the electrics “control board” (fuse box, kill switches, various usb sockets etc ) can be clean dry and in one place.
And yes I looked at the super cycle. But in the end I decided on deep cycle. If that doesn’t work out well becos of too many deep discharges Then will look at super cycle next time. But to be honest would prefer a lithium but am hoping prices will drop a lot by the time I need to replace this one.
cheers.
ps when do you leave for Africa?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is the battery in the cab as well? Ideally you want the battery as close to the dc charger as possible.

Yeah I think we're all waiting for the price of lithium batteries for fall. Going to be a few years yet to I think.

Leaving for Africa on the 27th Oct. Truck is in a container at Felixstowe awaiting the container ship. Just sent you an e-mail about your message.

N

Yes battery and dcdc next to each other. will Look at email. Cheers

Back