Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mobile International calling cards etc

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
With the upcoming trip to Sudan i am looking at International calling cards etc and they all promise the best rates, as you would expect ;)

As there seems to be quite good coverage out there when near some sort of civilisation i wondered if anyone had experience of these.

What we used to do in Russia was take a spare phone and buy a local sim card with decent international rates, usually pay as you go in case off hidden charges that can soon mount up calling overseas. There was a scheme with another number you call from your main mobile first to get a good rates but this could incur charges from your UK supplier.

I am sorting the satellite SPOT Connect for calls but the charges are a little unknown as yet and the reviews say to wait a while as software and apps are still a little unreliable. Would need to upgrade my smart phone too which i can do for free next month.

I have always used the cheap call cards throughout Europe SE Asia, Australia, NZ, Mongolia etc to call back home and a friend has used them throughout Africa to call home and to other international locations. They were always significantly cheaper than not using them though sometimes they can be a bit of a pain to use. I also use them when I'm here to make international calls if Skype is not an option and again they are always much cheaper than any mobile or landline company rate.

I can't tell you which offer the best rate as it was always too much hassle to figure out. However, it is always worth checking out how they differ in terms of connection charges etc. Some are good for shorter calls whereas others may be better for longer duration and only some cards will work when calling from or to a mobile.

I've always used these guys: http://www.travelsim.co.uk/

Any call to the UK is a local UK call no matter where you are (most countries).
I've used it in EU and SA and it's been fine.

Top it up, and away you go.

edit
Seems Sudan has an incoming call charge :(
edit edit
Egypt does not though so if you go stand close to Egypt, you might get their network :dance:

Cheers Crispin :thumbup:

That looks like just the thing, will order one today :D

Back