Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT fail.

Juddian

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Failed on emissions, only just but still a fail, the indy we use wanted to run some injector cleaner through it, no doubt half filling the filter with the stuff to give a good strong mix, which necessitated a new fuel filter which i authorised.
Anyway she passed easily after that., with the usual comments of heavily coated underneath with waxoyl, its not waxoyl but who cares.

Lots of short journeys recently and we've been taking it really easy in order to conserve fuel, not so much the cost though it's scandalous but being sure we have some.

Couple of thoughts, she's done 114k now, i checked the injector readings last year which were actually pretty good, but probably could do with the EGR valve cleaning out so that's a job for this summer.
But, what i'll do in future is change the fuel filter the day before the MOT test and stick half the Diesel cleaner straight in the filter and the rest in a low tank, hopefully that'll sort it.

On the subject, didn't our Cruisers of 2005 manufacture used to have a limit of 3.0, but i note the limit is now 1.20, when and why did that change or have i got me knickers on back to front or is my mot station applying the wrong limit?

Thoughts?

When my injectors were on their way out at 120k miles, Redex diesel cleaner got them almost back within +/- 3 tolerance on Techstream injector feedback. Using premium diesel from BP seemed to do them good too, and I've used that where I can ever since I changed the injectors about 100k miles ago, and they still seem to be going well.

On the subject, didn't our Cruisers of 2005 manufacture used to have a limit of 3.0, but i note the limit is now 1.20, when and why did that change or have i got me knickers on back to front or is my mot station applying the wrong limit?

Still 3.0 with a turbo according to VOSA bumph until 2008 (can't see any relevant updates):

Hmm Flint, that link does look like they are applying the wrong limit.
Where could i ask the difinitive question on this.

Rob the injector feedbackl readings were very good, only one slightly lower than the others, around less than 1.0 if i recall for all.
If it need sinjectors at some point it'll get them, ut in all honesty it runs so smoothly and quietly i wouldn't want to interfere with it, plus it goes pretty quick when you ask it to.

Have you got a copy of your emissions sheet that failed? Just looked at mine from last MOT and can't see 1.2 or 3.0 anywhere on it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Certainly have Karl.

Engine temp 78'C tested at below 80'C oil temp

Test limit applied 1.20 l/m

Absorbtion coefficient 2.05 l/m 1430 l/min 1.97 l/m 1640 l/min
2.09 l/m 1330 l/min 1.68 l/m 1660 l/min
2.50 l/m 2360 l/min 1.67 l/m 2790 l/min

Mean Absorbtion coefficient 1.77 l/m Zero drift 0.51 l/m

Mean absorption coefficient after correction 1/26 l/m

Test type applied Turbo
Test result Void

AFTER Passing.

No engine temp taken.

AC
1.27 3650 O.46 2800
0.44 3280 0.79 3440
1.41 3300 0.52 3360

Mean AC 0.59 Zero drift 0.00

Mean after correction 0.59

That's all pretty much Chinese to me other than if the 3.0 test limit still applied it would have passed every test.

Shayne,
i run Millers in every tankful, but happy to put some inejctor cleaner through together with a new fuel filter every year if it makes such a difference.
I know with Forte (garage used something else, can't remember what, charged £16) they used to reckon on putting half the bottle straight into the fuel filter and the rest into a lowish tank.

Bit disappointed tbh, never had a Diesel emssions failure before, though accept a lot of the running has been very short distance over the last couple of years.

It does no harm Juddian but it brought about a small miracle when put in an old clapped out diesel transit i once had . I also put it in my daughters 10 year old with 40k on the clock diesel corolla right there on the forecourt when i bought it and she almost had a baby when it belched out a black cloud a few miles down the road .

Here's mine - same car, same MOT, why does it all look different?

Attachments

• 20220425_191454.jpg
    20220425_191454.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 20
No idea Karl, hopefully someone who's MOT trained will spot this and give us the goods.

Back