Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT - rear suspension

Mmm that's a can of worms. Suspension is quite an emotive issue and what worksforobe person gets denigrated by the next :)
I've had OME on my last 80, ToughDog on my 120 and now EFS on my new 80.

The ToughDogs were pretty good but corroded quite fast on Scottish roads. It comes down to what you want to do with it and budget. There are a variety of after market shocks mostly all are good and some probably better than others. Iron Man are sort of acknowledged as entry level and is put OME and EFS and ToughDog towards the top. The there are exotics like Fox slinkys and Bilstein rebuildables and some others. Best to decide what you want to do - if you never intend on venturing past a muddy field and are not carrying other modifications standard type shocks are fine. If you want a suspension lift and more weight carrying ability and winches etc you should look at something more suited to the task of controlling the springs.

I don't need anything too special as I only do a bit of cross country work - fields, rutted tracks etc but that's it. Nothing too hardcore.

Then I'd look at the Pedders kit which seems well-liked by those here who use it and I think it fits your budget and planned use. Search for Pedders on the site - there may be a club discount too.

Cheers Gary. Hopefully my local mechanic will be happy to fit them. He is a fan of main dealer parts which is well-intentioned but not what I need in this case.

I can understand that for stuff like water pumps and pistols etc but aftermarket suspension is generally very good stuff. Good luck ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Gary. The bloke at Pedders said in an email that the full kit "comes with all the parts you need including instructions on how to disable the electronics to ensure no check light is displayed"

Maybe I can get those instructions from Pedders even with the 4 shocks. I don't want to end up with some nightmare warning lights permanently on!

Yes, as per our exchange of emails. Just the shocks required which, judging by the Pedders tech guys's advice, will be all four shocks rather than just the rears.

Anyone else had experience of replacing just the rear shocks in an LC5 or do I need to replace all four?

cheers

I've always done all the shocks so as to try keep spring control consistent. Prob at false economy to just do 2 because the front ones may not be great and cause excessive action at the rear axle

I think I'll "pull the trigger" and do all four then.

Only other thing that might be needed is apparently front strut mounts if the old ones are defective (can I tell by lifting the bonnet??).

Roger at Pedders has been very helpful, including the following from their Aussie tech team:

Replacing the Electronically-Controlled Dampers Only

The electronically-controlled dampers on the Prado 120 Series can be replaced with conventional units without an error indicator being displayed in the instrument cluster. However, it is imperative that all four dampers be replaced at the same time.
If operating correctly, the electronically-adjustable height control of the rear air springs will not be affected if all four dampers are replaced with conventional units.

Agree with the blurb. It's possible the strut mount is messed up- they catch a lot of road crud. It's the bit at the top of the spring with the 3 small nuts and bolts on it, you can see it if you fully lock the steering each way and look in the wheel well. Not visible in under the bonnet. The nuts and bolts may be totally corroded from road salt and they might have to cut them off resulting in a new mount needed.

I'll have a look tonight. I could maybe order them and send them back if not required.

Back