Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT Woes

Spoken to BF Goodrich (Michelin) HQ again today.

The official line is that they WILL be importing the AT KO into the UK from the US in the 120 stock size of 265x65x17.

It was supposed to be on sale from 1st Jan this year - but they still haven't imported them. They say even if they did it today it would be a minimum of 6 weeks before suppliers had them.... and they are not doing it today.

So... it still looks good that they are doing it... but it looks like we've still got a wait on!

Thanks for keeping at this sam. Have you any idea what dealers will be charging for these?

I really think the 265 x 65 x R17 is the wrong size for the 120 series.
I know that's the standard size, but I, in my infinite wisdom think the 120 is a better vehicle in with 265 x 70 x R17 dimension tyres.

Just another 2c worth of "off the top of my head - seat of the pants flying"

Well I'm in no position to comment Graham as I know nothing of the difference.
I'm thinking about sticking with the stock size simply to avoid issues with the out of sync speedo and the impact on mpg.

As for the benefits I really don't know.

My new friend at BFG HQ is doing her best though. She is really struggling to find out what the hold up is - but I've asked her to look into getting some by whatever means. The idea that she might need one of us to pull her out of a sticky situation one day... and for that we would need good boots on... made her chuckle and she's taken the challenge! :thumbup:

No idea if she can pull it off yet. But here's hoping! If it sounds promising I'll let you know.

As far as price is concerned I don't know. I'm sure I read from a dealer somewhere that it was pitched between £160 - £170. I'll try to find it again and post a link. Turns out the January 1st 2012 price book that the UK dealers get does list them - but they just aren't in the country to supply (and most have no price listed).

The mission continues.....

well if you want to see what the 265/70/17 looks like then let me know as you can always try my spare to see what it looks like in the arch :thumbup:

Certainly look better. The extra 5% height 'accurises' the speedo too, so you need to pay attention. On the LC5 you should also really re-calibrate the GPS as per the manual - something I'll do when I move to either the 285/70 tyres or maybe the 305/70x17 :shh: depending on cost.... With the ARB bar on now I've a lot more open space to fill in the front arches - just maybe the UCA will rub - still to check. The rears will be fine I think, unless they clobber something when stuffing up into the arches....

Hello, Snake Racing??? About those Upper Control Arms you do ...... :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks better with the 265 70 17. The AT2s create a small amount of rubbing on the inside on full lock but nothing of concern.
Then, add a suspension lift and it gets better ;)

I parked next to a stock 120 a while back... :whistle: :cool:

265/65x17 Dunflops vs. 265/70X17 Cooper STTs (with 16mm tread depth :clap: )

New-Tyres-008.jpg

REAL tyres!!!

could you not have used it as an inner tube?

Hi Sam,
The 265 x 70 x R17 certainly look better without a doubt.
They also bring the speedo, as said earlier to within a cats wisker of 100% accurate, where the origial 265 x 65 x R17 were hopelessly innaccurate, probably reading 70pmh when your doing 64 'ish.

Any way Sam having the 267 70 R17 in the 120, there is no reason at all to consider a return back to th 65 series.

Not sure about the rubbing issues mentioned prevoius, not had any of that, but that was no rubbing on the LC3, which has the real suspension :lol: with real springs, the LC5, as you may know, is different.

Where are you in the UK?

Gra.

265 x 70 x R17 do rub on my LC4 which is standard no lift etc and with the real suspension ;) . But as has been said before, it's notserious enough to worry about

Went into my local tyre place today to enquire about BFG All-Terrain 265/65/17. The guy says they are listed and he can do them for £194 a corner. I get excited until he phones to order and is told they are still waiting for these tyres from the good ol' U.S. of A. However, they are meant to be coming in "soon" so I'm going to hold off as long as I can to see if they arrive in the next few weeks.

Hutton, Michelin (BFG) HQ are still saying they have no word on them (as of yesterday).

Most dealers will have them listed in the new 1st Jan price listings because they were supposed to be here in the UK from 1st Jan... but they're obviously not and HQ don't know why (they have made several enquiries for me now).

They say that when the decision is taken to go, it will still be a minimum of 6 weeks 'til they get here! :shock:

I've asked if there is anyway they can get us some, as importing them ourselves would be silly, and they are looking into it. Soon as I hear anything I'll update the post.

Treads getting low..... :pray: ... failing that, I'm going with the grabber ATs I think. Even Mr. T said they can fit those at around £150 a corner!!! I know everyone does well with 70's, and I've come really close to getting the BFG in 70's... but there's something inside me that just doesn't want to hear the rub.... besides, I'll be a lot better off than I am with the Dunlops I'm sure! ... not a definite, might still go BFG 70s.. just leaning towards Grabbers at the mo :whistle:

Sam - go look in the classifieds - 3 sitting there right now :lol:

Sam said:
Hutton, Michelin (BFG) HQ are still saying they have no word on them (as of yesterday).

Most dealers will have them listed in the new 1st Jan price listings because they were supposed to be here in the UK from 1st Jan... but they're obviously not and HQ don't know why (they have made several enquiries for me now).

They say that when the decision is taken to go, it will still be a minimum of 6 weeks 'til they get here! :shock:

I've asked if there is anyway they can get us some, as importing them ourselves would be silly, and they are looking into it. Soon as I hear anything I'll update the post.

Treads getting low..... :pray: ... failing that, I'm going with the grabber ATs I think. Even Mr. T said they can fit those at around £150 a corner!!! I know everyone does well with 70's, and I've come really close to getting the BFG in 70's... but there's something inside me that just doesn't want to hear the rub.... besides, I'll be a lot better off than I am with the Dunlops I'm sure! ... not a definite, might still go BFG 70s.. just leaning towards Grabbers at the mo :whistle:

Thanks Sam. With the situation being so vague I think I'm just going to go with the Grabber ATs.

The deed is done. My Cruiser is now shod with five brand spanking new General Grabber All-Terrains and jolly nice they are too.

Probably won't be far behind you... still no joy from BFG!

So you got the new AT's then? Pics Pics Pics? :thumbup:

Back