Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT

Ecky Thump

Garage
I seem to remember this has been touched on before but it nearly effected me today.

Took the wifes petrol 80 in for it's MOT today. My mate starts the MOT and then says to me ''Sorry Les I can't do this one'' :o
''The weight plate says 3060kg Gross which makes it a class 7 MOT and not the normal class 4.'' :shock: :o :( :?

Oh sh1t says I, or words to that effect, at least.
So being my mate he phones VOSA and has a long chat with them.
The result was, because it is an 8 seat passenger vehicle, and it has had class 4 MOTs for years they have reclassified it as a class 4 and now I am safe for the future.

Mine is a Jap import so doesn't have any weights on the VIN plate which is why this has never effected me before.

So just a warning chaps and chapesses and there is a way out if you need it by a simple phone call to VOSA.
Apparently the class 7 MOT costs the same it's just that fewer places do it.

I had something similar with my Hilux, but you should not be having any problems with a Land cruiser as its not a Goods vehicle.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022514

In the end I took my Hilux (Jap Import no weights on the Vin plate) to a public weighbridge to prove it was 1750 Kg unladen and argued the case that if I put 1 1/4 ton in it, it would fall to bits :mrgreen:

One thing I have never got to the bottom of with all these Jap Imports, is what in the GVW? or what is the maximum amount which can be towed? Can you legally tow anything at all even? :think:

Had a similar issue and the answer is as above, its class 4 as its a passenger vehicle not a commercial vehicle.

I'm getting the impression that the rules must have changed.
My mate says they have to go on the weight now and not whether it is a goods vehicle or not.

Les have a look at the link above, Class 7 only applies to
Goods vehicles (over 3,000 kg up to 3,500 kg DGW)
Its very unlikely IMO that the Directgov website is wrong.

Some places won't have a ramp rated for your GVW.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ecky Thump said:
I seem to remember this has been touched on before but it nearly effected me today.Took the wifes petrol 80 in for it's MOT today. My mate starts the MOT and then says to me ''Sorry Les I can't do this one'' :o ''The weight plate says 3060kg Gross which makes it a class 7 MOT and not the normal class 4.'' :shock: :o :( :?Oh sh1t says I, or words to that effect, at least.So being my mate he phones VOSA and has a long chat with them.
The result was, because it is an 8 seat passenger vehicle, and it has had class 4 MOTs for years they have reclassified it as a class 4 and now I am safe for the future.Mine is a Jap import so doesn't have any weights on the VIN plate which is why this has never effected me before.So just a warning chaps and chapesses and there is a way out if you need it by a simple phone call to VOSA.Apparently the class 7 MOT costs the same it's just that fewer places do it.
Oh bugger, I've just checked mine and the MOT has expired.
Chas

Back