Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mounting a CB Aerial

SiCarrie

Thought I'd stick mine on this evening, only to find that it's not that straight forward...

I've got one of those panel mount things that's designed to mount the aerial to a flat vertical surface - you know, this thing:

PSM1.jpg

I was going to mount it with an angle adaptor on top to get the aerial poking in the right direction. Anyway, that's turned out to be a non-starter, as everywhere I want to put it will make the back of it totally unaccessible. So, what's the received-wisdom on CB aerials on 90s?

Thanks!

SiCarrie said:
Thought I'd stick mine on this evening, only to find that it's not that straight forward...

I've got one of those panel mount things that's designed to mount the aerial to a flat vertical surface - you know, this thing:

PSM1.jpg

I was going to mount it with an angle adaptor on top to get the aerial poking in the right direction. Anyway, that's turned out to be a non-starter, as everywhere I want to put it will make the back of it totally unaccessible. So, what's the received-wisdom on CB aerials on 90s?

Thanks!
Hi SiCarrie

I might be mistaken but is that not a Landrover 90 !

But to get to the CB antenna, the best place to put one is right in the middle of the roof, but as you might say, its no good for Greenlaning etc, but if its just for local contacts you could mount it on the front bumper.

It's for when we're out laning, so the roof is out really. Thinking about some form of bracket behind the spare wheel now...

I had a mag mount but didnt like it.

I've now got a gutter mount which is much better:
IMG_8815.JPG

I have got a gutter mount for mine. I had to earth it to make a good grounding it works ok but beet the life out of the aerial when off-roading. I am now looking at a new type of aerial from the states that has a special core that means it can be mounted anywhere even the plastic bumber and still work. If they are any good I will be getting one on route to Lincome.

Steve

I have a 7 inch Magmount on mine on the centre rear of the roof. I've permanently wired through the antenna cable to a plug just inside the rear door so I can disconnect it if I want. The mag mount is really strong and have also fitted one of those angle adjusters so I can just lie the antenna down for going in car parks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good excuse to buy a winch bumper :thumbup:

I too have been giving this alot of thought just lately & although I've fitted one as yet this is what I'm planning :)

I'm either going to mount my aerial here

P90102242.jpg

Or here

P9010224.jpg

This second mounting location is my prefered position but this will very much depened upon how much room is left after fitting my oversized spare & also that I'm still able to fully open the door :D

More important to me though over aerial location is aerial type & although there's no denying that the springer aerial offers good value for money & is as robust as hell in the off road enviroment it is one of the most tunefull things that I've ever had fitted to my previouse trucks :roll: :lol: So this time around I'm cosidering deploying two seperate aerials for different situations :) A longer less springy one for everyday use that's less likely to be tapping me on the shoulder when driving @ anything over 50mph & a shorter maybe more flexible one for when laning :thumbup:

Oh & here's a pic of the aerial posistion on my first Suzuki Vitara 'Shaky' :D

CopyofP4010008.jpg

sae70 said:
I too have been giving this alot of thought just lately. More important to me though over aerial location is aerial type & although there's no denying that the springer aerial is as robust as hell in the off road. A longer less springy one for everyday use that's less likely to be tapping me on the shoulder when driving @ anything over 50mph & a shorter maybe more flexible one for when laning :thumbup:

I bought a Sirio HP3000 aerial. No picture yet, of all the pics of my 80 there are none that show the aerial in situ, but here's a pic of the spec sheet;

CBAerial.jpg

it's mounted at the front on the winch bumper, it takes all the punishment you can give it with no problems :thumbup: it's as tough as a brick sh*t house :shock: , the whip is stainless steel and has a lot less 'bend' in the wind than the springer it replaced. I had it tuned by Dorking 4x4CB http://www.4x4cb.com/index.cfm 'cos I don't know how to do it :oops: and it works fine, but a bit pricey, you need a special mount as it's different to normal mounts so aerial and mount together are around the £40 mark. I unscrew it when not in use and stick it in the back to stop the light fingered community from making off with it.
Chas

have one of the Flexi/AT12 aerials and it is pretty damn good however I would say that the spring is so flexible it can sometimes whip back over 90 degrees and hit the roof. However the quality is really good and it pulls in a pretty strong signal.

Yes a mighty fine twig the HP3000 but they have got a bit of a rep for busting off @ the coil top :? Some people have them remade with turned ally from what I've read :) You can also get an banjo adaptor for the base of the HP range you can see it in your picture :) I think that this is it here.

t_hypowerswivel.jpg

This is the one that Im considering for general use not because I've heard that its any good or because its very strong but just because I think its prety & will look good against the RED of my truck Fiery :p Its called a Sirio Mythos 9000 & something else as well :? :)

t_mythos.jpg

I've just remembered that you can get the Sirios HP with a standard 3/8" screw bottom :thumbup:

sae70 said:
Yes a mighty fine twig the HP3000 but they have got a bit of a rep for busting off @ the coil top :? Some people have them remade with turned ally from what I've read :)
I've broken 2 in the last 8 years or so which considering where they've been aint so bad and I've seen springers destroyed on lanes the HP's survived ;) Just replace the weak casting and you have the very best you can get IMO.

sae70 said:
You can also get an banjo adaptor for the base of the HP range you can see it in your picture :) I think that this is it here.

t_hypowerswivel.jpg
My mistake this is just the top of the standard coil that you can buy as a replacement part :) This is the bit that breaks I guess :|

Jon Wildsmith said:
sae70 said:
Yes a mighty fine twig the HP3000 but they have got a bit of a rep for busting off @ the coil top :? Some people have them remade with turned ally from what I've read :)
I've broken 2 in the last 8 years or so which considering where they've been aint so bad and I've seen springers destroyed on lanes the HP's survived ;) Just replace the weak casting and you have the very best you can get IMO.
It is very tempting as many do rate this twig :D But it's going to be a real bugger for me to mount in the way that I want :(

sae70 said:
This is the bit that breaks I guess :|
Not in my case, it's what that attaches to that broke on mine and is IMO the weakest link till you replace it. It's quite a thin casting that's got an eye to mate with what you pictured and a threaded base to go into the top of the coil. Get a short bit of bar, thread one end to go into the coil, drill a small hole in the other end for the whip and 2 small threaded side holes for the grub screws, sorted ;)

Why is it difficult to mount how you want?

Jon Wildsmith said:
Why is it difficult to mount how you want?
I would very much like to mount an aerial as in this high end paint shop mock up that I've created :D

P9010224.jpg

I'd just get a 50mm wide strip of steel and bend it to make a bracket the right angle? Or modify a gutter or clamp mount that has a pivot, so it bolts to your door instead of clamping, and use the pivot to get the angle you want?

It will work ok (not great) in that position but the front is better, on a bull bar, A bar or clamped to the leading edge of the bonnet. Not as well protected as where you plan to put it but still low down and if you replace the casting with the bit of bar mentioned you won't break it short of a head on collision :mrgreen:

If you get a HP and can't sort the bar out you can post it to me (whip removed ;) ) and I'll convert it for you if you cover the return P&P (offer open to any club member, PM me). I'd need your antenna rather than just sending you the bar because I've encountered 2 different base construction types on them.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I'd just get a 50mm wide strip of steel and bend it to make a bracket the right angle? Or modify a gutter or clamp mount that has a pivot, so it bolts to your door instead of clamping, and use the pivot to get the angle you want?

It will work ok (not great) in that position but the front is better, on a bull bar, A bar or clamped to the leading edge of the bonnet. Not as well protected as where you plan to put it but still low down and if you replace the casting with the bit of bar mentioned you won't break it short of a head on collision :mrgreen:

If you get a HP and can't sort the bar out you can post it to me (whip removed ;) ) and I'll convert it for you if you cover the return P&P (offer open to any club member, PM me). I'd need your antenna rather than just sending you the bar because I've encountered 2 different base construction types on them.
I'm very humbled by your offer & will give it some very seriouse consideration when the time comes for me to be choosing & fitting a twig :D

Jon Wildsmith said:
and I'll convert it for you if you cover the return P&P (offer open to any club member, PM me). I'd need your antenna rather than just sending you the bar because I've encountered 2 different base construction types on them.
Great offer Jon, :thumbup: I'll have a word with you next week-end at Lincomb.
Chas

Back