Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 79 series pick up.

S

sunnysingh

BACKGROUND

Being in the building industry and based in Tanzania we've always had pickups and SUVs in the house, current fleet consists of 2 Hilux's from the late 80's, a 2009 Hiux, an 80 series Landcruiser and a 2013 Ford Ranger XLT.
After selling my 1996 Prado few months ago i was on the market for another pickup that i could use for work duties and long overland journeys. I knew i wanted a Landcruiser but the way the local market is, my options were limited to the 1hz 79 series pickup only. Toyota Tanzania don't import/ manufacture the 4.5L V8 due to poor fuel quality etc.

Having said that I then thought about importing a V8 from Australia or S.A but the costs were too high and importation duties/ taxes were just ridiculous.
Months of trolling the internet and talking to some people i finally came across one sitting in Dubai. Luckily a friend was already there at the time and checked the vehicle on my behalf, countless WhatsApp messages back and forth and a deal was done with the seller.

PRESENT DAY

Fast forward to present day and the car is now in a container on its way to me in Tanzania, ETA is approx 4/5 weeks.
Its a 2012 model with 4,000kms on the odometer with electric windows/ central locking/ AC and the usual refinements equipped with the 4.5L V8.

PlANS

No major plans with the car as i like to keep things simple and functional. But some ideas on my mind consist of;
- Changing tyres to BFG's all round.
- Fit an ARB style front bullbar.
- Spotlights for the bar.
- Fit Safari snorkel in favour of the standard item.

I'll be updating this as and when i receive the car. In the mean time here are pics.

P.s Any ideas were i can buy a suitable Safari Snorkel in the UK??

IMG_9243.JPG IMG_9246.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
BACKGROUND

Being in the building industry and based in Tanzania we've always had pickups and SUVs in the house, current fleet consists of 2 Hilux's from the late 80's, a 2009 Hiux, an 80 series Landcruiser and a 2013 Ford Ranger XLT.
After selling my 1996 Prado few months ago i was on the market for another pickup that i could use for work duties and long overland journeys. I knew i wanted a Landcruiser but the way the local market is, my options were limited to the 1hz 79 series pickup only. Toyota Tanzania don't import/ manufacture the 4.5L V8 due to poor fuel quality etc.

Having said that I then thought about importing a V8 from Australia or S.A but the costs were too high and importation duties/ taxes were just ridiculous.
Months of trolling the internet and talking to some people i finally came across one sitting in Dubai. Luckily a friend was already there at the time and checked the vehicle on my behalf, countless WhatsApp messages back and forth and a deal was done with the seller.

PRESENT DAY

Fast forward to present day and the car is now in a container on its way to me in Tanzania, ETA is approx 4/5 weeks.
Its a 2012 model with 4,000kms on the odometer with electric windows/ central locking/ AC and the usual refinements equipped with the 4.5L V8.

PlANS

No major plans with the car as i like to keep things simple and functional. But some ideas on my mind consist of;
- Changing tyres to BFG's all round.
- Fit an ARB style front bullbar.
- 9'' IPF spotlights for the bar.
- Fit Safari snorkel in favour of the standard item.
- Replace standard head unit for a Pioneer i have already bought (the tunes are a must lol)
- Maybe fit a Waeco fridge/ cooler for a centre console.

I'll be updating this as and when i receive the car. In the mean time here are pics.

P.s Any ideas were i can buy a suitable Safari Snorkel in the UK??

View attachment 127887 View attachment 127888
Only 4K KMs !! Just like new then.

NICE! :drool: :clap:

I love the style sided tub, they just look so right on the 70 series, I wish Toyota would sell them down here! :icon-biggrin:

NICE! :drool: :clap:

I love the style sided tub, they just look so right on the 70 series, I wish Toyota would sell them down here! :icon-biggrin:

Thanks!

Are you referring to the rear tray? this is an ex Aus car so they might be available were you are unless this was later added on in the UAE.

Yeah they call them style sided tubs, as they are contoured to match the cab. :icon-biggrin:

That will have been fitted in the UAE.

For some reason Australia is the only market in the world not to have the option of the style sided tub. :thumbdown:

In Australia Toyota offers 3 options:

Steel tray.

steel tray.jpg

Alluminium tray.

alluminium tray.jpg

And cab chassis, so you can add your own tub/tray.

cab chassis.JPG

I understand why some people dont like them, as you loose bed space having the wheel arches sticking up and only being able to access the tray/tub from the rear can be a pain when loading pallets. But I still think it should be offered as an option, even if it is by special order only. :think:

There are a few companies importing the tubs from UAE and South Africa into Australia. :clap:

I found a South African guy the other day who imports them and sells them through his business in Brisbane.

https://www.thebushcompany.com.au/

When I buy my duel cab 79 it will have to have a style sided tub, oh and I want a mid night blue one like this. :icon-cool:

blue duel cab 79.jpg

Time for an update;

1/08/2017
This morning my dad offloaded the vehicle, i'm excited is an under statement!:grin: It was sitting in its container at the port for the last few days whilst paperwork was being sorted but its finally home now.

My first impressions are very good and everything seems as described, the only thing i have noticed is how big the rear wheel flare's are. They start at the rear tub and come all the way up to the rear passenger doors, i;ve never seen this before and maybe some of you have an explanation? from what i have seen on other cars and on Google the flares normally end just before the passenger doors.

Also the tyres are 285/75/R16's which look a little big so i will probably get a size smaller once these are worn. Maybe 275/75 or 265/75 but In the mean time i'll be looking for an ARB or TJM bullbar for the front.

Since my last post and with a slight delay with the ship leaving Dubai, i've waited 4 weeks. Unfortunately as i am still out of the country these are the only pics i have until i get home end of August.

IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0413.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
is that market specific? all the 79 DC's iv seen on pictures have a longer wheelbase, yours looks almost like a troopy converted to a pick up.

Also i notice the rear doors seem slightly larger/ longer. It almost seems too good to be a troopy conversion, or it could be that the flares were added on later.

I'm pretty sure it's a cut down wagon - if you look you don't have the blank in the rear arch cutout as there are in Ben's pictures, or in the white one next to it at the docks, which is why the arch flares run all the way round to the doors.

I'm pretty sure it's a cut down wagon - if you look you don't have the blank in the rear arch cutout as there are in Ben's pictures, or in the white one next to it at the docks, which is why the arch flares run all the way round to the doors.

It can't be a chopped 76 series because if you look closely at a 76 series side on, theres no room between the two windows on the back to actually chop and add a tray. Also the angle of the rear doors are different. If it is a chopped job the finished job is very very good.
My dad confirmed it looks like a normal pickup, i.e no evidence of work carried out.

Rather weird non the less!

Check the chassis number - that'll tell you if it's a VDJ79 or VDJ76.

I've had a look and have found another one that looks similar on ebay, but all the others have the arch cavity filled as per the Toyota factory one, which is what makes me thing that it's a conversion from a VDJ76

Here's a side on picture of a VDJ76 and you can see the leading edge of the arch is inline with the quarter glass in the rear doors:
20454a0f21ac10e0caec94a9d3242788.jpg

As Ed says, definitely a cut down 76. :ugeek:

I'd be interested to see how they have done the chassis extension to support the weight the tub will carry. :icon-biggrin:

it would make sense as well if from Dubai , I believe the v8 diesel lc79 is aussie market only? wondering if sunny should question the seller if been sold a conversion rather than a genuine 79.

The V8 is now available in the UAE but no one wants them, so their special order only. :ugeek:

Not sure if South Africa gets the V8 yet? I suspect not. :think:

I want to know if they offer the short wheel base 71/72 with the V8 in the UAE! :icon-twisted:

The V8 is now available in the UAE but no one wants them, so their special order only. :ugeek:

Not sure if South Africa gets the V8 yet? I suspect not. :think:

I want to know if they offer the short wheel base 71/72 with the V8 in the UAE! :icon-twisted:

My info certainly differs alot from this!

They have had them for years...........

73 & 76`s are said to come soon.

On Toms stand @ Bad Kissingen show `17 we displayed both a 79 DC and a 78 VDJ. Sold the 78 on the show

I must have been wrongly informed then. :icon-redface:

I heard that no one wants the V8 diesel 70 series in the Arab countries, they all want the petrol engine'd versions. :?

How long have they had the VDJ78 & 79 for then? :think:

Getting the HZJ in UAE is AFAIK difficult
They do prefer the petrol, thats correct.

The VDJ vehicles I mentioned above where chassisnumber 03 & 04... So build at the beginning of the year upon being introduced to the marked. Both came out of UAE & to my knowledge landed in Germany late March ... (don`t pin me on that "date" spesifically)...

Now I'm even more confused! :lol:

You said "they have had them for years" then you said "build at the beginning of the year upon being introduced to the marked". :?

I was informed that the V8 diesel 70's have only been available for a very short amount of time in the UAE, but as not many people want them they are only available to order, as most people choose the petrol engined 70's in those countries. :ugeek:

Re-read my initial reply, I changed the fonts.

You made 3 statements Ben to which I replied.
So each on the three lines in my reply relate to Your respective 3 statements

Sorry for the confusion

06/09/2017

A month on i am finally back in Tanzania and driving said vehicle for the last few days. Loving the power!!

A couple of things to report on; i did some background digging and i can confirm the vehicle was originally a 76 series which has had a chassis extension and double cab tub added. The job itself looks to be perfectly done. More digging around and i found that its had a new engine fitted hence the low miles.

Initially i was obviously ticked off with the supplier as i wanted a double cab, he apparently had ''no idea'' about the conversion when i questioned / demanded answers.

I/m not sure how i feel about the whole thing but the car is slowly growing on me. In the next few weeks i will be chopping the chassis extension back to its original length and shorten the tub too. I think it will look better as right now the tub looks slightly odd. The other two options were to move the rear axle back or to convert the car back into a 76, both costly options and time consuming.
Looks worse in the pictures than it actually is. A local company who works in the Safari business who do vehicle extensions and modifications will be carrying out the work.

The stickers on the side will be coming off and the wheel arches will be colour coded to match the rest of the grey. I will also add a front bar with spotlights. Current wheels are OEM and tyres are 285/75/R16, vehicle sits high and proud lol. I must admit people almost look at me like what is this monster on the road.

I have already replaced the rear shocks with heavy duty Old Man Emu ones. Changed the oil and filter. Couple of things to come tomorrow.
There are some minor issues here and there which i am currently working on so pics will follow. My priority right now is to make sure the engine is running sweet, no boost leak etc.

Pic attached of intended look after the chop...

IMG_0886.PNG

Back