Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80 is playing up!

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
So my 95 24v manual is acting up. Started quite a while ago but ive used it on and off for the last 6 months.

First started when I turned the ignition on, the glow plug light would come on for a fraction of a second, rather than the usual 0.5-1 second.

As that would happen, the doors would try to either lock or unlock (had the drivers door open).
No aftermarket immobiliser/fobs, just what looks like the original Toyota unit above the glove box. Had one occasion in the past it didn't want to start, disconnected a plug on it and it was fine.

Then when I go to start it, there would be more black smoke out the exhaust than usual, and you could hear the revs go up slightly as it would fire.

Idles fine, revs fine.

Sometimes accelerating it would have several flat spots through the rev range, felt like I had no boost, no change even if I had the foot flat down, eventually picks up, no change in smoke either. This happens mostly when I slow down for a junction, turn, then pull in second. Dip the clutch and it revs fine. Other times it doesn't do this.

Fuel gauge cant make its mind up, light would come on, put some fuel in, then its over a full tank.

Brake warning light comes on intermittently, but I just topped up the fluid so will check if that's helped.

Voltage gauge is reading just above half way, use to sit between half and 18v.

Bit of a loaded question but anyone had similar symptoms? Ive checked the main battery earths and fuel lines to pump, and cleaned tank pick up. Glow plug relay under the battery looked quite crusty, removed but no difference.

Cheers, Derek

Start with the small plug on the alternator, dashboard maladies often start there.

The OE alarms also give trouble, pull it out and you may see corrosion, this is more likely caused by the screen leaking.

Regards

Dave

Check the grid heater relay that sits under the R/H battery tray (sitting in the car not standing at the front looking at it ). These are known to burn out and also known to cause fire's .
Just unplug it and make sure no bare wires . In the UK you don't need the grid heater any way.
Otherwise sounds like a bad earth.

For sure disconnect the grid heater. Good to leave it in situ as if you get turbo breakup it will stop parts of the turbo going into the engine! It's very good thing in that respect!

It was the intake heater relay I took out. I just called it the glow plug relay. Taped up the wires aswell.

I’ll look at the alarm box thing again, I’ve been running it with one of the big plugs disconnected as that’s the only way it would start one day. And I’ll look for the plug, could only see the main cable on the alternator while the light was dimming.

After much wiggling I got the 3 pin plug off th alternator. There was a small bit of white corrosion but I noticed the yellow wire had a bit of insulation missing and some copper corrosion had started.

Where can I buy a new harness? It plugs into the loom under the air box.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You'll be able to find the part number you need on "Toyodiy". That site will need the VIN number but you'll get the right Toyota part number. I believe the plug comes with tails so you can cut the loom and splice it in.

Failing that the plug is designed to be dismantled which is what I did with mine. This enables you to clean the contacts if the corrosion is not too bad. However I think it necessary to remove the alternator and clean the contacts with partial dismantling as well as the plug. Then assemble with waterproof grease making sure there is plenty of spring in the contacts. Worked for me.

P.S. I only just remembered to mark the colours of the wires on the plug before disassembly. The three box shaped contacts pull out from the rear after you've put a needle in to the plug slots to release the spring tabs but they can go back in any order as they are all the same shape.

Thanks. Ill take the loom off in the next few weeks time and see hat I can do. One car to tow home tomorrow with it then mot runs out and its getting some other maintenance while its off the road for a few months.

Back