Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 90 Overland build up

24Seven

I will add to this thread as I pack up.

Being one not to spend money on stuff unless I have to, so I have money to travel and owning a 90 LWB Auto (Colorado) heres what I have done to mine to prep in advance of a trip.

OMU Shocks and springs
255/85/16 BFG M/T's
Outback Drawers (found second hand, very nice but very expensive new)
Swapped one battery for a Leisure Battery and fitted basic isolaters on the batteries (cost £16)
Fitted Bed (I sleep inside)
An old Laptop on a RAM mount with a Garmin Bluetooth GPS running Olaf and nRoute, also a Garmin 1490 as a backup and to route in Spain.
CB fitted into the spare din slot
Small second hand Engel fridge in front footwell for cold Beer.
Home made thermal blinds for all the windows (really worth making these)

Maint

Cam belt change (use genuine belt) very simple or cheap to fit.
Rebuilt starter motor (kit from Roughtrax)
Replace U/J's 3 off (again from Roughtrax)
New Radiator. (very important in a Auto)
Check / replace brake pads (front calipers tend to seize, so make sure they are free)

Replace oil / filter every 5K at most
Replace air filters often if dusty (Milners Offroad are cheap for air filters)

My 90 in Zagora last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving that poser shot in Zagora - the truck looks great, really great in standard trim like that.

What OME stuff did you fit? I couldn't spot it in your writeup... My Colorado just had a few advisories (sp.) on its MOT, one being corroded springs so I may look to fit a lift in the year ahead...

I went for the lighter springs because I wanted a soft ride off road.

Front
OME 881 Springs

Rear
OME 890 Springs

Which are plus 40mm so I guess you would need to replace the shocks as well. The 255/85 tyres give another 35mm or so, total lift is around 3"

I think these are my favorite poser shots :mrgreen:

img1046o.jpg

img0955c.jpg

To carry on a bit

batteryswitch.jpg

This is my simple (cheap) dual battery set up, starter battery on the right, 110 amp/h leisure battery on the left, when I stop I just isolate the starter battery.

img1195gx.jpg

After thinking long and hard I've decided to take a 6th spare wheel this year, two out of four trucks last year ripped tyre side walls out.
This year there is not ever a second Toyota going which we could share spares if needed so I thought it a good insurance policy to take another.

To carry an extra wheel, I have fitted a pair of Rhino Mega bars, these things are very strong but very noisy at speed, in fact they resonate which is not great but needs must.

img1198x.jpg

I'm going to mount the wheel between these end stops, which should stop any movement.

img1192i.jpg

Could you not get away with taking just an extra spare tyre and strapping it to the door mounted spare?

Good idea, but a fight with a tyre in the mid-day sun is not to be underestimated

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I didn't say I thought it would be an easy option :lol: I was thinking more of the type of situation where you rip a tyre wall and put the spare wheel on and later have a local place swap the extra tyre onto the rim with the torn tyre ... Just something I'm wondering about for my trip to France because I'm running such an uncommon size and I was thinking of taking just the extra tyre.

It was one of the options that went through my mind, I was a little worried about the extra weight on the back door and thought it would be out of the way up there and also I did fancy having a tyre and wheel, never thought that the bars would resonate though at that point. :mrgreen:

It's only two days that it will annoy me Spain there and back, if there had been other Toyota's alone I would not have a 6th, but once you don't have a spare it would be to risky too enjoy the pistes so could spoil the rest of the trip.

I don't know whats best tbh :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Just something I'm wondering about for my trip to France because I'm running such an uncommon size and I was thinking of taking just the extra tyre.

In my mind, I have planned, saved annual leave and money for 11 months for one months freedom from everyday life so I'm trying to make sure nothing goes wrong, although when things went wrong last time we met the greatest people, I guess it all depends on how much time you have spare.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Just something I'm wondering about for my trip to France because I'm running such an uncommon size and I was thinking of taking just the extra tyre.

It comes down to how easily you can get a tyre fitted to a rim on your travels. I agree with your approach here, Jon, as chances are you won't have more than one puncture at worst and you'll almost certainly be able to get your 2nd spare fitted at a tyre shop/garage if you need to. Worst case scenario, you could mess with tyre levers etc to fit the tyre yourself if you had a 2nd flat flat before you could get the 2nd spare fitted. Punctures are not going to be make or break
in France.

Likewise, if you're in the boonies, having a ready-mounted 2nd spare might make a huge amount of difference. :D

Cheers,

Jon Wildsmith said:
I didn't say I thought it would be an easy option :lol: I was thinking more of the type of situation where you rip a tyre wall and put the spare wheel on and later have a local place swap the extra tyre onto the rim with the torn tyre ... Just something I'm wondering about for my trip to France because I'm running such an uncommon size and I was thinking of taking just the extra tyre.
Hey guys I was just having a look through the BOAB site and found this http://www.boab.biz/Pages/Tyre%20Pliers ... 20BOAB.htm
it could sway your decision as to whether to take wheels or tyres.

You know the rules the more gadgets and stuff the better ;) :lol:

Steve

Think you would need a compressor with a tank to get the tyre to re-seat after changing though or use propane maybe. :mrgreen:

I only have a Paddocks jobby which I think for the money is very good.

Did think of a plan of using the spare tyre as a reservoir for blowing out filters etc.

Matt, that will put a tyre back on, if you do it right. As for the bead breaker that Chris has posted, if you have a hi-lift/jackall jack you do not need one and can use the jack. Saves weight aswell.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Matt, that will put a tyre back on, if you do it right. As for the bead breaker that Chris has posted, if you have a hi-lift/jackall jack you do not need one and can use the jack. Saves weight aswell.

Paul

Lucky for me, my mate carries everything needed for anything in his LR including a Hi-Lift, but realistically I'm just going to take another full spare, changing tyres sounds like hard work when I could be drinking beer in the sun with my feet up :mrgreen:

Are you going on standby again for technical support? not that I asked you before hand last time :mrgreen:

If I can help out I will Matt :)

All you need to change a tyre is 3 tire leavers and the jack and a bucket of soap!!

Paul

To continue

Extra spare wheel fitted, which has stopped the resonating which is good news although the wheel on top does look like a pigs ear IMO

img1200g.jpg

Bed extension fitted, made out of on old table and screwed to the drawers, box one also installed this is attached to the draws by bolts and then I strap down this and another on top with a ratchet strap. It's amazing how much stuff will fit under that table.

img1202b.jpg

img1204tr.jpg

Thought I would start packing up the box's today as it pouring with rain, I don't think I'm going to starve. :mrgreen:

img1209e.jpg

Two week today, I like to pack early to try and spot any problems or missing items.

Back