Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My first hub rebuild

My 54mm hub socket has one of those on the drive end :D

Seems that the ABS is a bit keen. Not a major problem, but it kicks in very easily. Will bleed brakes again properly tomorrow and and see if that helps. Don't know if the 'quality' of used ABS sensors has a bearing on this/. Brakes better all round today for the removal of the special oil cooled disc option, but still not quite right.

Chris

could be that the front and rear aren't very well balanced so the fronts are doing a lot of work and lock up early?

Maybe, but I am talking about simply pulling up at a T junction. Not hard or sharpish, just light braking. Will get a better look tomorrow.

C

Hi Chris

Not sure but this thread and Julian V's comment at the end. Was about ABS coming in on one wheel at very low speed on normal stop. It might also be something else given your truck's knuckle was previously badly repaired by a butcher not a mechanic.

Good luck

thread:
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopi ... hlight=abs

Julians:
Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 19:04 Post subject:
This is a very common ABS problem.

Grease on the ring and the sensor isn't really a problem - if there isn't grease on them the chances are you may not have enough grease in your knuckle.

The sensor is magnetic so can be affected if you get bits of metal sticking to it, like shards from worn CVs,, otherwise you don't get much metal floating around in the knuckle.

The main problem seems to be that the sensors loose their magnetism and don't work properly. You can adjust the shims on the sensor so that it sits closer to the ring, but the only real way of testing it is to use an oscilliscope to check the signal from the sensor. I've got a few customers who have been experiencing these problems so have so have bought an oscilliscope to pin down the problem and am getting in stock of replacement sensors at discounted prices - my truck is first on the list to get sorted

and from another thread Frank Rabbits said:

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 17:54 Post subject:
I had a problem with my front brakes ABS'ing easily. After I cleaned all the metal swarf off the front sensors when I rebuilt the front hubs all was OK. Never had a light stay on but could this be his problem Jon? Just a thought.

Frank

- perhaps the other hub ABS sensor has some swarf on it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All of that sounds very familiar. I have yet to inspect the other side of the vehicle. Might find the problem there. The sensor is second hand but was pretty magnetic. No swarf on it - I would not have put in dirty. Plenty of grease of course as it's in the hub. Dunno quite which wheel it is yet. Also pads wearing in as they were covered in oil from the leak, so it is still pulling slightly. I need to bleed them fully again to get the brakes functioning 100% to start with - without ABS. Then I can have another look. But poor sensor could be the issue for sure. I shall have to ask JV how much for a new pair.

Second hand stuff is OK to a point. Given the treatment that had been metered out to the original components it's a wonder that it works at all frankly.

Need a few bits before I strip the opposite side down. Will get to it asap. But most likely it the used sensor in the OS I would think.

Chris

Chris said:
Given the treatment that had been metered out to the original components it's a wonder that it works at all frankly.

Chris

For sure, then again it is an Landcruiser, and an 80 to boot.

No doubt you will track it down and box it off. As always.

Pulled the fuse for now. Braking well. But no ABS of course. Now pulling slightly toward the disc that was oily. I think I have gaffered that one and its the other one that needs some TLC. Got to strip that hub soon anyway, will do it all in one.

C

Chris said:
We're just about to go out for a beer. First time we've been out in it as a family. May even convince the Missus to drive it back.
What did the Missus think of it? Mine loves driving my 80 after being very anti in the beginning. I'm sure yours will take to it whatever her initial feelings :o

Steph thought an 80 was too big for her to drive when I first got mine but it only took 1 drive in a car park before the cheque book was out again ;)

She liked it. Thought it wandered a little. Well stop moving the steering wheel then ;)

And it lacked power. Well it did. Getting better with every twiddle.

Chris

Well Chris and others, you have been luckier than I :cry:

Stripped one half of mine tonight (nearside). Having spent far too much on Genuine Toyo parts (full axle seal kit and wheel bearings with all the washers, nuts and spacers) I dug in knowing I had a swivel leak and a groan.

Drained the diff, no problems with the plugs, but only about a litre of oil cam out and it was like do-do. Well it has been leaking a while so no worry. Pulled of the hub etc (ABS sensor was nice and easy and clean) and the wheel bearings were quite good (bought them now :roll: ).

Quite dirty but not too bad under there. Undid the spindle and oil started to seep as expected but not much. Remove spindle to find... you may have guessed.... Nothing, wee bit of oil and clear evidence that grease has been a long time absent :evil: This has only appears to have caused a little wear against some of the seals (which I have) but caused a lot more concern.

Cleaning and stripping continued to reveal a rusty swivel face (emery cloth-able) and the swivel bearings are b******d. I didn't by them. Now I need them and some shims and with a bank holiday approaching :x :cry: :( :evil:

Oh well... Only a quarter of the way in... time to call Toyo main dealer again (and all the other bearing suppliers in Belfast).

And so to bed...

Why not call Ian Rubie for the bearings. should be much cheaper for the same parts.

And he keeps them in stock AND does phenomenal deliveries too.

Chris

Bad luck there, Dave - the "good" news is that swivel bearings are much cheaper than the wheel bearings. It might be an idea to get a few extra while you're about it as the swivel bearings seem to wear much quicker than the wheel bearings for example. For anyone doing a rebuild, I would suggest that the swivel bearing is the most likely part to need replacing, along with the inner oil seal...

BTW you probably won't need additional shims - just reuse the ones you have unless they've been destroyed along the way.

I'd second what Chris and Adrian have said - give Ian a shout. These being common consumables for 80s means he may very well have some in stock for you!

Cheers,

Some good news there :?

I will be getting in touch with Ian about a few things now. Unfortunately, with the bank holiday and Northern Ireland being 'across the water' I'd likely not get them in time to be able to fix them so I can catch a ferry on Mon. Fortunately I found a bearings supplier in Belfast that had the same bearing, by KOYO, in stock so picked them up for about £30inc for all 4, roughly half the Toyo list apparently.

My bank holiday weekend is going to be busy!

Finished in time for the ferry!

It seems that the PO had used oil in the swivels on both sides as the was very little sign of any grease at all. 5 pots of moly grease later and a lot of paraffin to clean up the mess before that and all appears to be well. Minor panic when one of the new wheel bearing nuts graunched up and then wouldn't undo... locked solid :shock: a drill and a chisel to the rescue!

I was quite impressed that the job could be done with so few tools. A number of nice to haves (spring balance, 54mm socket, that bearing holder tool, etc) but if really pressed all that was needed was a pliers, 10, 12, 14, 17mm sockets/spanners and a hammer and a punch. Well designed for emergency repairs in a difficult place.

Back