Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My first lc engine rebuild

Vegascruiser

It's my birthday!
Last August I picked up a 94 lc in good shape. With 318k with low compression in a few cylinders. Not quite blown but I knew it was coming. Drove it around a bit and now it's time. I just started the tear down this week. I have a few questions for all of you lc experienced motor builders. What upgrades do you all recommend when I'm getting into it? Also,what should I be on the lookout for? I
im pretty excited to get started on this project. It's been to long since I have been able to wrench on something that I wanted to work on.

If you are used to rebuilding engines there is nothing magical about the diesel or petrol engine. If not they are demanding to work on just due to the size. Upgrades would come after a successful rebuild. Is it a petrol with gas conversion?

It's a standard petrol motor.

im use to building Chevy V8s and air old Volkswagon motors. However this straight six is huge in comparison. Also build like a tractor. I don't anticipate any problems. However I know from experience that if you don't they will show themselves sooner than later.

Rick

The Toyota workshop manual is good for the Diesel engine so probably the same good for petrol.

The Chevy v8's are very simple and with few parts compared with the Toyota engines.

The Toyota engines have very expensive parts and are tiring to work on so don't expect to get it done quickly. Take plenty of pics along the way and if you can lay parts out in order and take notes. You will be surprised what you forget as it is such a long job. Undoing things again would be a bit soul destroying.

If the bores have a ridge at the top this must be removed as when your new piston rings come up they will hit the ridge and possibly break off the first land on the piston. Some replacement rings have a "ridge dodger" which is a groove cut in the top ring so there is a gap before it hits the ridge if you have not removed it.

You'll need an engine hoist just to lift the head off lol.

Thanks for the heads up! I have been sitting on it for a minute getting my ducks in a row as far as reading a ton of lc rebuilds and looking at parts lists. I'm currently looking for a dsm for this guy. thats the one thing that I have holding me up and making take it slow.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back