Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My first viewing ...

grantw

Supporter
Hi Guys,
I've just viewed a 96 24v that I really want to buy but I have a very niggling question about starting. From what I can gather the 24v should start on a button pretty much no matter what.

These two clips are what I would consider 'on a button' - can't post links yet so the video titles on you tube are:
[h=1]Another Landcruiser HDJ80 (1HD-T) cold start[/h]and [h=1]Landcruiser 4.2 diesel[/h]
The one I viewed certainly didn't have trouble starting but it took 1-2 more cranks than both of those on a hot start. I unfortunately didn't hear it from cold. On a possibly related front it also seemed to be idling higher than I would expect.

So to the question, am I just being very over cautious here? I've requested the seller to do a compression test which should show up any issues?

Thanks,
Grant

The video links don't work for me but a healthy 80 only needs a momentary flick of the key to start, hot or cold.

Mine starts with the slightest touch, hot or cold even down to -25C which is the lowest I've tried it (with a little pause for the heater light to go out of course) ;)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Could air being sucked into the air fuel filter housings cause the slower starting?

Oh, I couldn't post the actual links as I haven't yet made 15 posts! The "links" where just the titles of the videos on you tube :(

could be all sorts of things, some simple and cheap to fix, some quite expensive, but I think you know that. How does it go when you drive it and is it smokey?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It wasn't smokey at idle and definitely didn't notice any smoke whilst driving so if it is then it's not very bad. I guess my problem is I don't know what the cheap fixes are. It's from a very reputable seller so I'm sure it would be sorted before purchase.

I just really wanted to throw my thoughts on here to ease my mind.

Air getting in can mean there's a delay before it fires, that's cheap to fix, then you start looking at the injection pump and injectors, which isn't so cheap. The lazy start on its own might suggest air but you said the idle was also high, which it should only do if it's a cold start or the air-con compressor is engaged, so you have to wonder if the high idle is to cover a rough idle when at the correct speed?

Back