Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My heart almost stopped

Hi that is not good for the cruiser but good to see on the 90 I had a 60' tree fall on my garage with the old fj45 in it I now wot it is like good look with getting it fixed :tearsofjoy:

Looks like an Ash tree? It seems to have failed in the fork , looks like it was pollarded at some point.have any of the other trees been cut like this one? It might be a good idea to take a look at the others & consider a crown reduction on them.Pollarding can be a can be problematic near buildings , people or cars.

Ash is a much harder wood, never seen one go like these. They're Salix Fragilis, common name 'crack willow' planted as a cricket bat crop on a 16 year rotation, they get top heavy because the side growth is stripped off annually so grain stays straight for the bats, they were planted far too close to our house originally, the ones at the back overhang the roof bigtime. If they get a few dead leaves stuck in a sharp fork they start rotting at the crook, and eventually split down the middle, the field at the back has 1200, of which around 50 have split, we've seen 8 or 9 go while we've been in the garden, you can actually hear them starting to go about 30 seconds before the big crack.

The owners had a team come down and started work felling them on Friday, 26 are coming down next week. We've been on at them since November, we got the council tree officer involved 2 months back when one came down blocking the drive, very nearly took our chicken house out, he recomended felling the 26 then on safety grounds, but he couldn't enforse it since it's on private land - at least there's no question of liability :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ash is a much harder wood, never seen one go like these. They're Salix Fragilis, common name 'crack willow' planted as a cricket bat crop on a 16 year rotation, they get top heavy because the side growth is stripped off annually so grain stays straight for the bats, they were planted far too close to our house originally, the ones at the back overhang the roof bigtime. If they get a few dead leaves stuck in a sharp fork they start rotting at the crook, and eventually split down the middle, the field at the back has 1200, of which around 50 have split, we've seen 8 or 9 go while we've been in the garden, you can actually hear them starting to go about 30 seconds before the big crack.

The owners had a team come down and started work felling them on Friday, 26 are coming down next week. We've been on at them since November, we got the council tree officer involved 2 months back when one came down blocking the drive, very nearly took our chicken house out, he recomended felling the 26 then on safety grounds, but he couldn't enforse it since it's on private land - at least there's no question of liability :icon-rolleyes:
I've worked in tree surgery & forestry on & off for 25 years & this is the first I've heard about growing willows for cricket bats.fascinating info thank Pumpy.

Back