Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Landcruiser 100

Navraj Singh

Garage
Hey guys,

Been driving the cruiser for about a month now and I have noticed some issues that need to be sorted out on it.
Most are just minor things like the A/C which I had posted about earlier. The car also needs a service and new tyres.

I got under the vehicle today and was noticing that there is rusting on the rear axle and generally the rear of the vehicle. The front on the other hand is completely normal besides a few spots here and there.

Is this a very serious issue or is it common here??

I'm going to guess it was used for launching boats.

Might be a good idea to get it wire-brushed down and covered in waxoil or similar.

Crispin said:
I'm going to guess it was used for launching boats.

Might be a good idea to get it wire-brushed down and covered in waxoil or similar.
I'd second what Crispin said. I would think the rust is very superficial but it will have been caused by salt, rather than poor rustproofing or some material defect. If you want to sort it out properly, I would suggest getting under there with a pressure washer and try and flush as much of the salt off as you can (obviously this will be hard to see or judge but the water will dissolve most of the salt, especially if it's hot). Once dry, give it a scrub with a wire brush and maybe spray again to wash all the loose bits off. Give everything a paint with Kurust or similar rust converter (Dinitrol is also good) to "eat" the rust. Then give it a coating of something resilient to ward off future water/salt attacks :twisted: Dinitrol also do good protective paint - Waxoyl is ok but not the most robust or long-lived solution IMHO, but it is the cheapest. You could use POR-15 which is extremely good but is also a little pricey - your call on the quality of the solution you want and how much you want to spend :whistle:

Cheers,

So far all the 100's I've looked underneath have been a bit rusty at the back, much more so than most 80's I've seen so I'm not sure if it's high salt exposure or just a reduced level of rust proofing ... I've coated the underside rear of mine with vactan and then hamerite and am working my way forwards with it.

Cheers for the tips guys...

Think I will give it a pressure wash and get under there with a wire brush and a rust eater.
It is not too bad but its better to get it sorted out asap.

On another note.....how do you get rid of used engine oil in UK??????

Navraj Singh said:
On another note.....how do you get rid of used engine oil in UK??????

My local motor spare shop takes it off your hands for their workshop oil-burner heater in winter. Ask your local mechanic what they do with it.
There is also a oil bank for used oil at a B&Q near us.

If you have 7 litres or so of old oil, can you not chuck it into a full tank of diesel? :?:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you have 7 litres or so of old oil, can you not chuck it into a full tank of diesel? :?:

WHAT? I do hope you are joking. Just take it to your local council tip they will have an oil recycling point. Just pour it in there. It's free.

Chris

Crispin said:

:naughty: Erm because the oil is full of very fine metal particles and other nasties that may pass through the fuel filter and erode your injectors and do rude things to the IP :idea: If you have an additional fine particle filter (I think you can get suitably fine meshes on Racors for e.g.) you would probably be ok but probably not the wisest option long-term.

ahh, so other than a purity point of view, it'll be ok.(?) Thanks.

Mix it with creosote and paint your fence with it :whistle:

Or dip fence posts in it before planting in the ground :dance:

Back