Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Navigation system

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Right then people, i now have an HP netbook, memory map disc and about to order a usb antenna.
If i install the memory map on my main PC can i transfer everything onto the netbook? The netbook doesn't have a disc drive so is there a way of connecting the netbook to my PC to use the drive on the PC if i wanted to put everthing on the netbook? I was looking at getting a remote disc drive to connect when needed.
Just need to build the mounting now, good old Machine Mart have 5" suckers for on the windscreen for £7 each so will be starting with them.

Does the Netbook have USB sockets? if so install the Memory Map on an external drive, then transfer to the netbook.
Chas

Just tried to do that but its seems to not like it very much.
I have ordered a external drive as i found some good ones that can write discs with too, bit old fashioned in the fact that i like working with discs as they seem more robust when in the middle of nowhere. If laptop goes tits up can always reinstall on another unit.
Have installed memory map on pc and it looks quite good, are there any training courses available anywhere?

You would have to install Memory on the laptop.
Easiest way to do this would be:
1) Copy the contents of the Memory Map CD to a USB key or external hard drive
2) Plug said key into laptop
3) Open folder for CD (My Computer > Name of the USB key)
3) Run Setup from there
4) install as normal.

Repeat the process with the maps. Depending on what maps you have, you would have to copy them to a local folder on your netbook.
One problem might be space. How big is the drive you have in the netbook and how large are the maps?

Shout if the above is unclear.

I could not find much help with memory map but after playing with it for a bit, it's actually pretty easy. The nicest things are the live tracking (if you have a licence key for it) and the aerial photograph maps for various places.

If you bring it along next weekend I could help with the installing part.

Cool, its very close to what i used to do for engine software, the problem i had was that i had put it in a file rather than putting just the disc contents on the stick so it was effectively a CD, thats why it wouldn't run properly.
The netbook has plenty of storage (160GB) and a half decent processor so should be ok.

Right then, back to the welding on the little project for the LC ;)

OK peeps.

Netbook is now all loaded up with MM, a working USB GPS antenna and it all works :D
All ready for the plain tomorrow, just need to make up the mounting system (someone will be holding it for now)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back