Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Member!

Unbelievable build!!
Why did you brush all bolts, nuts and parts before getting it zinked?
I've done the same set of parts on my build, and 95% was completely cleaned and zinked afterwards. I brought them away the way the came of the car, rusty and dirty. Only on a few bolts there was some paint left, as the Acid does not get the paint off.
It must have taken you hours and hours wire brushing :shock:Keep it up, impressive build!

I probably have over 200 hours in the blasting and brushing of the nuts, bolts, brackets and washers. The acid step is bypassed by my processor if I bring them in prepped the way I prep them. I have found that they come back with a extremely smooth finish thus less opportunity for corrosion. Maybe waste of my time but my vendor said that time up front makes for a much nicer outcome. I dropped off the remaining parts for powder coat this morning. I switched to powder coat on the headlight bucket parts rather than the original yellow zinc. I believe that this will hold up much better. I did find a place to rebuild the brake booster once I get it back for plating. Hopefully it will start coming together in the next few weeks if the finances hold up. The smalls are killing me. I have been selling off all of my extra Datsun parts on ebay the past couple of weeks 2K so far toward this project. I plan to list a few of my, already accumulated, extra FJ parts in my next run at ebay. I started blasting and priming all of the pewter interior parts and outside mirror brackets last night. Probably put some paint on this evening. Thanks for your interest in this project. JLP

I bow to you and your great work on the eternal good looking J4. :clap::clap:
Hope to borrow myself some of your patience and skills to start working on mine. If you'd agree, of course :icon-biggrin:

I bow to you and your great work on the eternal good looking J4. :clap::clap:
Hope to borrow myself some of your patience and skills to start working on mine. If you'd agree, of course :icon-biggrin:
Soon to retire where are my airline tickets?:lol:

Picked up a batch of plated nuts, bolts and brackets yesterday, one more batch for seat parts should complete the yellow zinc plating. Sent newly plated brake booster off for rebuild. Assembled the pedal assembly and the emergency brake assembly using the newly plated brackets and pins. All oil lines, power steering lines complete and fluids installed. Turned over the engine for the first time since refresh today. Will adjust valves this week and put the valve cover back on for the final time, (until next adjustment cycle). Ready for body, but until it is finished I will be working on each assembly, (heater box, blower, dash & engine wiring harness etc...) to get them ready for quick install once body is complete. Pulling all seats apart, blasting, re-springing, and priming for paint along with dash bezel, ashtray, and glove box door. Pictures by this weekend, promise!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good job, as already said.
Have just received my plating kit, shall soon (hope and wish) start rebuilding various. As dash bezel, ashtray and glove box door are on the waiting list, how did you match the new paint (by color code or just comparing with samples)? If first applies, can you let me know the color code?
Thanks.

Have just received my plating kit, shall soon (hope and wish) start rebuilding various. As dash bezel, ashtray and glove box door are on the waiting list, how did you match the new paint (by color code or just comparing with samples)? If first applies, can you let me know the color code?
Thanks.
I purchased the paint from Cool Cruisers out of Texas. You get a quart of paint, a 3/4 quart of thinner and 1 pt of hardener. This makes a 1/2 gallon of the pewter detail paint. http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/sipetrpafj.html

If you can not get it shipped to you let me know and I will try and get the formula. jlp

Thanks.
Cruiser Corps sells rattle cans if that is an option for you. http://www.cruisercorps.com/paint-pewter-aerosol.html

Thanks for the tip. Shall check whether can be dispatched or not.

Paint!

I have been working on all of the small parts so that they will be ready for assembly once body is back on the frame. The tub is painted. The bottom was primed painted and then coated with black rhino liner and the interior with color matched rhino liner. The body then painted with two coat process original blue.
image (18).jpegimage (19).jpegimage (20).jpegimage (21).jpegimage (22).jpegimage (22).jpegimage (23).jpegimage (24).jpeg

Loaded the FJ frame on the trailer tonight getting it ready to take to the body shop and sit the body back on the frame. Pic's to follow in the near future. jlp

Let the assembly begin!

Going back together. Still have one more batch for zinc plating (seat parts). Have painted the pewter dash and seat parts, restored instrument cluster, and restored the wiring harness. Details, Details, Details!:eusa-whistle:
DSCN2399 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2400 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2401 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2402 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2403 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2404 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2405 (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2399.JPG
    DSCN2399.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 198
hi that is cool cruiser thanks for the pics I LOVE that old cruiser wot a top job :thumbup: from Tony.

Hi im new on site as well but not new to cruisers, I've had mine for about 8 years i think! you have a good looking specimen there! have you thought about the turbo six that Toyota brought out. Here in Australia they were designated 1HDT have around 120HP in standard trim 200HP not hard to achieve and if you run the Toyota box it will all bolt straight in! the only thing to change will be the prop shafts' (you will have to lengthen front). If yours is drum front then the diff out of the FJ45 1984 is disc, They also came with power steering.

Recently restored steering wheel and wiper motor and drives, heater box, fluids in, brakes and clutch bleed. Hope to start it up in the next couple of weeks. More photos coming soon.
jlp

Fuel Hose Restroation

It is impossible to find NOS fuel hoses for the FJ40. I ended up restoring the original hoses. I first cut off the compression ring and had the nibble and nut yellow zinc plated. I purchased German 7mm braided fuel hose, (VW type 3 injection replacement hose), and AN7 compression rings. A local hydraulic hose shop was able to compression the rings in place. The result was a complete success.:dance:
image (5).jpegimage (6).jpegimage (7).jpeg image (8).jpegimage (10).jpegimage (9).jpegimage (12).jpeg

I plan to get the FJ running in the next week or so and then put the from body panels in place. All seat frames are blasted and painted ready for upholstery. I have a few parts (door handles and grill bezel) at the chrome shop. I will post more pictures soon.

Just joined the forum for research as I'm currently restoring 2 LC's. First is a 1963 titled as a 64 FJ40. The second is a 1965 FJ45LV.
I wheel an 87 Suki running a 67 B18 Volvo engine. Also have a 1962 4x4 Rolls Royce SC with a built 454 BBC.

Welcome offroadrolls, never knew Rolls made a 4x4, every day a schoolday, as some say.

Nice intro, but not well placed to be honest, there's an intro section if you click on the forum tab, then everyone will see it.

After 15 posts or so you'll be able to post photos, looking forward to seeing the Rolls!

Back