Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New owner of 2005 120 series

Country Flag
australia
Hey everyone,
I’ve purchased a 2005 120 series in great condition. It has 150K km on the clock and had one female owner who serviced it every 5K km and I’m pretty sure never took it off road. It seems like it’s just been broken in. I’m based in northern NSW in Australia where every second car is a LC or Hilux as they reign supreme in this region. An example of necessity was a tropical storm last night n which I had to drive around about 10 fallen trees and branches all over the roads.

I’m new to LC and Diesel engines and so appreciate all the insight and info on this forum. It’s epic. I’m keen to learn more about my engine as it is pre D4D which seems to have its pros and cons. No injector issues but less power. I’ll keep reading but keen to connect with anyone with the same engine and learn how to best maintain and prevent any potential issue. Rust definitely doesn’t seem to be the same issue in this part of the world.
Thanks!

All 1KD are D4D engines afaik ~ all 120s and 90s diesels since 2000 . The 1KZ sold in the pre 2000 90'sersies were indirect injection, and not d4d. The GD engine in the 150s are D4D as well.

D4d itself only means common rail direct injection.

There was a change in the injector seals around 2005 after which Toyota stopped doing the recall, but it's best to check. At 150k km you want to check the general condition of the injectors anyway.

Thanks mate. Hope work is going ok for you. I didn’t realise it was a form of D4D. The mechanic at the Toyota dealership I bought it at went to do some electronic testing of the injectors as I was purchasing it and when he lifted the front he stopped and said this engine will never have injector problems. Photo of my engine below.

Attachments

• A0E26ECE-7031-4656-B9AB-054EE8C1E924.jpeg
    A0E26ECE-7031-4656-B9AB-054EE8C1E924.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 63
One of the reasons I keep thinking it is pre D4D is that some of my friends who have a Hilux or Prado with D4D it’s written on the engine and there is a badge on the side of car where as mine has neither. But as I’m new to it all I could be totally wrong!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like a factory intercooled 1KZ to me but i can't be sure . It will say on the bulkhead plate kzj95 or kd95 i expect .

Either way you got a better engine in my view :thumbup:

I can see the plate in your pic just above the brake fluid reservoir

Thanks Shane, now I know where the brake fluid reservoir is. The plate doesn’t have any of those numbers as it might be different in Australia. See attached

Attachments

• 4DF3DC1D-0C9A-4B8E-95EE-70C5E842C83F.jpeg
    4DF3DC1D-0C9A-4B8E-95EE-70C5E842C83F.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 52
It most certainly is , for us that has paint codes on it as well :think:

I'm trying to think of a clear indicator without wandering out into the rain on a cold dark and wet morning at 7.50am in my dressing gown because i have both engines .

Maybe if you google where to find paint codes on your truck it might locate another plate ?

Ha definitely don’t walk out in the rain. Found it! 1KZ-TE

Attachments

• 78DBBAB0-DC1C-45E8-A588-DD3DA5F1D5DA.jpeg
    78DBBAB0-DC1C-45E8-A588-DD3DA5F1D5DA.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 51
And the right colour too :thumbup:

Cooling is the only known issue with this engine , more so in the auto because your radiator has gear oil and water flowing through it .

It shouldn't be an issue for you if coolant has been replaced every 5000 miles but some radiators corrode inside letting water and oil mix . Possibly Toyota added a separate cooler to the 120 ?

Other than that its just general maintenance to keep that running indefinitely and we know half a million miles and beyond is possible .

Yeah I love the colour. Yeah that’s interesting regarding the cooling. I’ll need to learn to change my coolant as I’ve only just learned to change oil. Not sure about a separate cooler will need to do more research. Will keep an eye out on the radiator as well. Thanks for all the info and tips. Appreciate it!!!

First I just want to learn how to maintain it to keep it fit and healthy for the next 10 years. Yeah, thinking a lift kit at some point. Snorkel as well. Not sure what else to add. Suggestions?

Loads , but your right first things first and thats rustproofing the chassis by whatever means you prefer

Back