Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New owner of 2005 120 series

Ha I’m sure it’s unlimited all the cool things that can be added. Need to convert my shed into a home on our property first before letting loose on the LC I’ll know where to come for all the fun things

View from our property with some wallabies that are always on the land. Stereotypical Aussie!!!

Attachments

• 8B26E928-6AF8-4250-AABD-EA8982F0884E.jpeg
    8B26E928-6AF8-4250-AABD-EA8982F0884E.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 7E1096F3-5876-4844-84A8-A88D0B12926E.jpeg
    7E1096F3-5876-4844-84A8-A88D0B12926E.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 32
Mate your 1KZ-TE engine is as tough as. It is not as powerful as the D4D and with the 4 speed auto can be a tad under powered when overtaking at 110 however the series of engine is bulletproof. It has some electronic control but is much less susceptible to dirty fuel and does incredible mileages. It also had no serious campaigns as the D4D had with injector seals. The radiator does have an oil cooler in the bottom tank to keep the transmission cool and I did hear of one case where it corroded resulting in water being circulated into the auto box which results in high repair bills however as mentioned if coolant is changed per the service schedule the corrosion won’t take place. The 120 series Prado is so popular with its 180 litre fuel tank capacity (90l+90l). I have a GXL 120 Prado which is one of the last ones also, a 2009 model, with the 6 speed manual transmission with 260000 km covered and I love it. All my boys learned to drive manuals in it and it’s great off road with a full time 4wd system which is very capable. Enjoy it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey FJ bruiser, thanks for that feedback. It is so reassuring to keep reading what a great engine the 1KZ is and really good you have got to much life and good times out of yours with the family. I hope to have mine for another 10 years. I was just speaking to someone who recommended changing the injectors on it every 100K km. What are your thoughts on that? And thanks for the coolant feedback. There seems to be a few people saying this so will look after it. Thanks!

It is difficult to predict an injector malfunction but the KZ injectors seem to be more resilient than many others therefore I would not be looking at a specific mileage or time. If filters and diesel source is consistent and reliable then I would rather suggest monitoring sound and smooth operation more so than a specific interval. I have seen KZ‘s doing huge mileage without being touched and would be more concerned to ensure timing belt replacement is adhered to religiously than concerns on injectors. Enjoy the ride!!

That's a nice cruiser, welcome to the forum. I've the same engine but in a 90 series, no engine trouble.

Is there a thread or a sticky on this forum that explains or lists all the different variations of the 120 series, from 2003 - 2010 particularly for the Ireland / Uk models. I never knew the 1KZ-TE was in the early 120's. When was the change over? Are the manual gearboxes in the 1KZ 120's 5 speed or 6 speed? I seen some of them advertised as 5 speed, is it the same 5 speed from the 90 series with the 1KZ?

Welcome Ozzy, I live in Ireland and drive a imported Aussie Prado 120 with KZ- TE engine and 5 speed manual box.
It's about 125hp and the gearing is low for motorway driving
I had the injectors checked at 210,000km with no issues.
I've blanked the ERG, cleaned the intake manifold and removed the butterfly from the trottle body, tubro spins up quicker.
Had to remove the centre fuel tank because of blocked fuel pickup.
Best for luck with the cruiser.

Last edited:
Welcome Ozzy, I live in Ireland and drive a imported Aussie Prado 120 with KZ- TE engine and 5 speed manual box.
It's about 125hp and the gearing is low for motorway driving
I had the injectors checked at 210,000km with no issues.
I've blanked the ERG, cleaned the intake manifold and removed the butterfly from the trottle body, tubro spins up quicker.
Had to remove the centre fuel tank because of blocked fuel pickup.
Best for luck with the cruiser.
That’s a nice cruiser to have, some would say the best styling and the best engine.

Did you import it yourself from Australia, are there many of them here in Ireland? Is there a way to identify an Oz cruiser from a normal 120 you’d see in Ireland?

Hi, Aussie 120's are badged Prado on the rear number plate assembly other that they have exactly the same body as EU Landcruisers.
120 Prados have a LSD rear diff as standard and second 90 litre rear fuel tank, 180ltr in total. The KZ-TE engine is intercooled, in the 90 series it wasn't.
I think the clutch is stronger too.
My LC is GLX which I think was a high spec for Australia but is basic compared to Irish or UK spec.
It was bought new in 2005 and imported into Ireland in 2006 as a 7 seat passenger and I bought it second hand converted to 5 seat crewcab in 2016.
I have put on a Ironman 2" lift and steel siderails/steps, SPC adjustable upper control arms, AFN steel bumper and Mtec discs and pads.

Back