Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to forum with question on 80 series

Welcome to the club.

I'll throw it out there but why not look at a petrol? Quite often get more for your money, lower miles etc.

I bought my late '97 model 5 ish years ago with just over 70k miles for £4400. I diesel equivalent would have been quite a bit more money.

No rotten chassis just a few bits of surface that got dealt with early on. I've had a couple of corrosion areas on the body (wing, tailgate and a spot on the bonnet caused by a poorly located A bar bracket) all easy fixes and documented in my garage thread.

If it wasn't used off road/gained a few knocks it'd probably be pretty much perfect condition, i didn't buy a landcruiser to cuddle it though. Always gets cleaned back up to keep it nice.

It's probably available on here Gary, but what sort of MPG do you get from the petrol?

One I'm.looking at the moment also has some serious chassis issues. I only found that out by using the governments MOT checker web site it gives info of all previous mots along with advisories and mileage. This is great link if your looking for providence for any new acquisitions..

Welcome

Drop me a pm mate I may be able to sort a truck out. I need to catch up on my pms on here hopefully later this eve when I finish work.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply and the welcome, as per my reply to Star Cruiser fining a good 80 for the right money is proving an impossible task, been looking for several months and viewed a lot of pigs.
Stick to her!

they are out there, a bloke my old man does a bit of digger driving for runs 80s. He recently came home in a 97 in great condition owned by a old fella. Payed no more than 3500 for it..

Welcome along KH.
They are out there, whilst its an earlier model it could have been really good.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-La...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Buy cheap buy twice even applies to 80s. We've got Pro welders on here with serious mechanical skills. They know to spend a bit more to start with to save lots of heartache later. There's few on here that have more experience than Chris, Andy Lomas and Trevor.

To that list I would include our own Karl and a few others but it is nice to be recognised with 20 years of 80 ownership and several owned, very flattered.
80 chassis repairs are a rarity and very few need corrosion related repairs but there seems at present bodywork repairs seem to be more prevalent in certain key areas. Trims are now looking a bit tired which is to be expected with age. Nobody bothered protecting them when they were new (me included) and now we are paying for it.

Good luck with your search.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome along KH.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Landcruiser-80-4-2-Turbo-Diesel-Rare-Rot-Free-Example/132356178772?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

To that list I would include our own Karl and a few others but it is nice to be recognised with 20 years of 80 ownership and several owned, very flattered.
80 chassis repairs are a rarity and very few need corrosion related repairs but there seems at present bodywork repairs seem to be more prevalent in certain key areas. Trims are now looking a bit tired which is to be expected with age. Nobody bothered protecting them when they were new (me included) and now we are paying for it.

Yes I missed that one EBAY

Welcome

Drop me a pm mate I may be able to sort a truck out. I need to catch up on my pms on here hopefully later this eve when I finish work.
How do I PM you ?
Can't seem to find anyone's message board anywhere...

Click on his name...start conversation. Hopefully you've posted enough for it to work.

Late to the party again
Welcome aboard KH :thumbup:, fraid I can't offer any words of wisdom on buying/maintenance, but good luck with your quest :thumbup:
I don't drive an 80, maybe I should look at joining the ever growing club :lol:

As per avatar I've got a 90, best 4x4 I've owned, still get a buzz just driving it

Welcome along KH.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Landcruiser-80-4-2-Turbo-Diesel-Rare-Rot-Free-Example/132356178772?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thank You Andy.
As for recommending Trevor rich. I taught him everything he knows.he was a good apprentice lol

As for recommending Trevor rich. I taught him everything he knows.he was a good apprentice lol
:bow-blue:
Oh now Karl it goes without saying that you'd be on the list, just thought I didn't need to mention…

Now where can I put this spade…

:romance-grouphug:

Welcome to the club.

I'll throw it out there but why not look at a petrol? Quite often get more for your money, lower miles etc.

I bought my late '97 model 5 ish years ago with just over 70k miles for £4400. I diesel equivalent would have been quite a bit more money.

No rotten chassis just a few bits of surface that got dealt with early on. I've had a couple of corrosion areas on the body (wing, tailgate and a spot on the bonnet caused by a poorly located A bar bracket) all easy fixes and documented in my garage thread.

If it wasn't used off road/gained a few knocks it'd probably be pretty much perfect condition, i didn't buy a landcruiser to cuddle it though. Always gets cleaned back up to keep it nice.
I did look at the petrol but when I enquired about mpg returns when towing 3000kgs the figures were not likeable 10 to 15 mpg...where as the diesel is around 20 to 23. Hence why diesel is fuel of choice.

'Dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree' mine is a 93 and it does that as well- apparently it was an optional extra in lieu of aircon. If I rev to over 1500rpm it all goes out though but its not a deal breaker. 93-95 12v 80s are the best (because I say so) and don't have stupid airbags (really? for hitting kangaroos), egr valves to soot up your air intake, or obnoxious silver front grills for those who wish they had bought a rangerover. If it is solid and clean then buy it. 4k is the price from which you have to work down though!

'Dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree' mine is a 93 and it does that as well- apparently it was an optional extra in lieu of aircon. If I rev to over 1500rpm it all goes out though but its not a deal breaker. 93-95 12v 80s are the best (because I say so) and don't have stupid airbags (really? for hitting kangaroos), egr valves to soot up your air intake, or obnoxious silver front grills for those who wish they had bought a rangerover. If it is solid and clean then buy it. 4k is the price from which you have to work down though!
Thanks for confident post. The only person stopping me buying a 80 series is me.... everyone i have spoken to who has owned 80s and 100s have all said 80 series was the best at everythng including reliability...so I just have to man.up and buy the right one

Last edited:
Welcome

Hi Karl
Search is over.
I have bought myself a 1993 Manual 80 series with service history and not much to do in the way of chassis work, body work needs some paint, but no rust, picked up yesterday from Manchester and drove it home 298 miles, used 1/2 tank of fuel, never missed a beat,, HOOKED.. great truck..

Back