Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to LC ownership

nhall80

Just bought a '95 FJ80. It's in great shape and I've enjoyed it a ton. I know that Land Cruisers have great reputations and are crazy reliable, but I'm wondering what, if anything, I should watch out for. What weak areas should I pay attention to? Mine is essentially stock. Are their basic upgrades that are a must for longevity?

It has 270,000 miles and runs great, but I want to get ahead of any issues that might develop. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

nh

Sorry I gave you misleading information...

Your wife will leave you

It's a Toyota, it's over engineered, ........
It should only give trouble if it's been abused and not maintained.
The weak points are few, mechanically I believe that the front diff is a little delicate if abused, for example excessive wheel spin on a front wheel.
The rear diff lock actuator is prone to failure on UK models due to corrosion caused by road salt,
The syncros in the gear box wear excessively if the right oil is not used,
Sorry but right now I cant think of anything else.

On my truck I had the front diff strip off 7 teeth off the crown gear and 1 off the pinion when the red mist descended and I pushed her too hard, I knew it would cause problems but I just wanted out of there lol, also damaged the front right cv joint as I was full right lock at the time, the replacement cv started clicking on tight turns three months after install and has been for nearly three years now (I have had 3 cv's replaced on my truck, all in the first 3 years of ownership).
The syncros in the gear box wear excessively if the right oil is not used.
I had one wheel bearing require replacement when I bought her and that I put down to the bush mechanic who had worked on her before I bought her.
The transfer box had a collapsed shaft bearing when I bought her (discount on price from the dealer who was selling it) so I replaced the clutch when the gearbox was out, in hindsight I would buy a Toyota clutch as the pattern part is not up to the job.

In short unless a after market part is highly recommended I buy all my parts from Toyota, service parts included.
However on my vehicle I have OME springs (overrated to cope with loads) DBA front brake discs, Allisport inter cooler conversion and bespoke radiator.
A few other changes but nothing worth listing here.

Hope this helps you, sorry for the lack of reply from all the views but these vehicles just do not know when to quit so most of us tend to forget when they give trouble lol.

It all depends on how and where you drive it . If you live , work and drive in a city then service it at the stated intervals and it will still be going after its covered a million miles . Any failures generally result from off road abuse , but if you have diff locks or any other functions you don't actually need be sure to use them occasionally anyway just to prevent them seizing up from lack of use .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the responses. Turns out it WAS kind of a stupid question. I've had other vehicles with clear weak areas that shouldn't be ignored, but the LC seems to be fairly solid all around...just didn't want to overlook anything. It has been very well maintained with little to no off road use. The diff locks work perfectly, and I'll use them enough to keep them that way. Thanks again.

My only advice would be the same with any car, any inkling of a problem, unusual sounds or "feelings", then investigate and repair as soon as possible.

Early diagnosis more often than not reduces the extent of repair and with 80 parts the price they are, less is more, more or less :wtf:

Common sense... :icon-biggrin:

Back