Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to the Land Cruiser world

gavincurrandingle

Country Flag
ireland
Hi guys, I recently got my hands on a HDJ80. 4.2 Diesel, 24 Valve and has a manual transmission. I have wanted one of these for years and years, but I never actually drove one until I sat into this one. I love the rawness of the manual transmission, however i have noticed a few things that i am not sure are ‘normal’ and am hoping one of you can help me. I have noticed that when my foot comes off the throttle (especially in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear) it is quite harsh. I find it difficult to explain but it feels quite ‘jolty’. It might be completely normal but i am used to driving a car, and am surprised at how harsh it feels when the foot comes off the gas pedal. Thank you guys so much. Apologies for being such a newbie haha

Likely to be wear in universal joints in propshafts and or front cv joints worn . These trucks are getting old now and as they don't tend to break to easily maintenance often gets overlooked and they just keep going until something does give. Then you generally find several jobs need doing all at once. Check prop joints first with a bar for any movement. If not grease them. Then its time to strip the front hubs and check the CVS. Nothing is to difficult if you are able to tell a spanner from a fork really. There's always plenty of people on here willing to help too. Any questions just ask away.

What Gav said, plus check your engine and gearbox mounts. Out of interest, what miles are on the truck - that might help with diagnosis.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@gavincurrandingle
I see your in Ireland, rough location? as I’m having a little foray to the Emerald Isle at the end of the month

Sounds brilliant, where are you thinking of going? I am in the south west of Ireland, its not too known for four wheel drive tracks but we have a farm so i’m trying to carve out a few of my own haha. I’m just trying to get my Cruiser up to scratch so i can bring her to mainland Europe and on to Africa at the end of the year. 80 Series are extremely uncommon here, so i am finding it hard to get a mechanic that has knowledge. Guess i will just have to get my finger out and educate myself (with lots of help from you legends haha)

I’ll send u a pm later, not sure if you’ll be able to reply due to lack of posts , if u can’t, but can read it, post on here & ill pm other contact info
Andy

Hi, as above really, you may also have an issue with the Viscous Coupling in the transfer box? They can seize and can cause drive train 'shunt', on the other hand a previous owner may have removed and binned the VC without replacing because they are not cheap, the resulting shunt being the same. You can test the VC by removing the front propshaft (8 bolts) and see if the car will pull away without engaging low range, if the car pulls away in the normal manner then the VC is seized, if the car moves but feels like the clutch is slipping then the VC is good, don't do this for too long as you could end up seizing the VC yourself, so just do a couple of pull away's and stops.

Don't over grease the sliding joints on the two prop shafts, this can lead to vibrations, the actual UJ's you can give a good dose of grease, a ten minute drive beforehand will allow the old grease to warm and come out easier.

Regards

Dave

This is normal.
What is your experience with other manual shift rigs?
Are you in low range?
Sounds tight and right to me.

Back