Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series front axle play

Jason Read

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hello, I have a bit of play in my 80 series driveline which seems to be mostly in the front diff/axles. With the front wheels jacked up there is probably 12 o,clock to 1 o,clock of play before the front drive shaft starts to turn. I was adjusting the wheel bearings the other day and could see the axle had some play in drive flange. Is this normal? I have not had my truck long. Thanks

That's about right. If you went one way, stopped and went the other there is play in several components to take up before everything is tight. There's play in the drive flange on the end of the stub, then play in the CV joint then play in the halfshaft into the diff, then play in the diff (backlash) then you have to take up all of the same play in the opposite wheel before finally the propshaft begins to turn If the opposite wheel was on the ground). Some of the bit of slack are very small but it all adds up and of course on an older truck with lots of miles on they all wear and get bigger. So 12 til 1 is pretty normal. And mostly not a problem. You have to have some play or there'd be binding - or windup in the transmission. The front diff probably accounts for the majority of this and really most need at least a tune up at some point. I have just rebuilt a diff this week where the backlash in the crown and pinion should have been between 0.13 and 0.18 and it was nearly 0.4. This translated to something like 12 til 2 in your terms. Which is far too much.

Hi Jason,
If your 80 series is an earlier model (pre 94 from memory) they did have a problem of having excessive wear in those front drive flanges that you mentioned. Toyota increased the length of the spline on the CV shaft and in the drive flange to rectify the problem. A common upgrade it to replace both your CVs and drive flanges with the later model ones. I have done it a few times and it can make a big difference to the slop in the driveline.

Back