Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Tyres

No, they don't catch or rub any where.

G.

Well i decided to get the General Grabber AT. The choice came down to not wanting to change the size of tyre and lower the speed rating, which my insurance didn't like and would be grateful for charging me extra £'s. So add the extra premium the insurance wants each year to the £200 extra i would have spent on the BFG's and it didn't seem worth the money.
Anyway in the end i got a set of 4 General Grabber AT (new tread pattern) for £467 all in plus £25 for tracking. Cheapest quote for the bfg was £660 and i phoned around everywhere.

Here's a few pics. I ran out of tyre shine half way through cleaning them so they do look a little patchy. I will let you know how they perform once i have had a run in a few conditions.
a9180008.jpg

b358a76e.jpg

7d941b63.jpg

24b41237.jpg

Graham said:
I seem to remeber the BFG A/T has a third side wall ply, giving it an advantage over the normal 2 ply side walls.

This effectivly gives it 50% more strength, resistance to cuts etc.
I feel the additional side wall ply also resists a lot of the roll when cornering.

G.

Erm, that's rubbish mate. That is NOT what having a third ply means at all.

Not to put the cat among the pigeons here but I do believe that BFG do A/T tyres in 265/65/17. They may be hard to get and they may be expensive. They may even only be available in the U.S.A. (although I don't know why) but I think they are made in this size.

It looks like I'm going to be the lone voice here on this forum but what about retreads? And I'm NOT talking about the crap stuff made on a wing and a prayer. My current weapon of choice are Marix ATs:

http://www.mjmotorfactors.co.uk/page4.php

I ran them at 32psi on my old Frontera and got low road noise, economy and great all round handling while saving both my bank balance and the environment at the same time. Recent price hikes have seen some makes of retreads come very close to the price of a brand new (INSA Turbo come to mind) and in these circumstances I'd go BFG's or Grabbers everytime.

John

The Dark Dude

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hutton said:
Not to put the cat among the pigeons here but I do believe that BFG do A/T tyres in 265/65/17. They may be hard to get and they may be expensive. They may even only be available in the U.S.A. (although I don't know why) but I think they are made in this size.
I have looked for a set of standard size BFG's since i got my landcruiser, i liked them a lot on the hilux i had. I have never seen standard size in stock or available in the uk. Even so the speed rating is still an issue which will bump my insurance premium up each and every year.

The BFG A/T is quoted on the USA site as being available in 265/65/R17 size with an 'S' speed rating. Don't know if this helps anyone looking for all-terrains in this size. I suspect that availability is going to be the problem.

I forget how nice they (black 120s) look with no scratches :(

Tyres look like they have plenty of grip. Blocks pretty much like the AT2s I have just different pattern.

Crispin said:
I forget how nice they (black 120s) look with no scratches :(

Tyres look like they have plenty of grip. Blocks pretty much like the AT2s I have just different pattern.

There will be a little more shine on it when i get my DA polisher tomorrow.
I'm going to have a look at filling some stone chips on the bonnet and get rid of all the swirl marks in the clear coat of the paint. soon be looking like new again.

you should also consider the Bridgestones.

Pradopoint boys rate the A/T 694's but for fuel economy go for the H/T (Highway Terrain) 840's

I fitted the 840 and found the traction excellent on and off road and in deep snow. The Dunlop Grand treks never gave me any confidence and in the wet they broke away a couple of times.

food for thought.

Back