Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Year Shopping

PaulH

Hi Everyone,

Haven't been on for a while, but thought I'd take the opportunity to wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year.

With no justification other than blind optimism I decided yesterday that 2011 will be the year that I can afford to run two Cruisers, so spent an hour or two wandering around the dealers' yards in Dubai. Thought I'd share some highlights.

First was a SWB 150. Looks really well proportioned in black, I thought.

SWB_150.jpg

But then, if you want a 2-door, a GRJ71 with the LX option pack and OEM alloys might fit the bill.

HT_71.jpg

For emergencies though, you might need a particular HZJ78.

AMB_78.jpg

Not exactly a Landcruiser, but proof that Hiluxes without alloys, flares, DVDs and leather do exist.

HILUX.jpg

This one's interesting. A BJ41 with OEM PTO winch and vacuum transfer. (The non-partisan and observant might also notice the ex-military Series II 88" and Series I Minerva poking their snounts into the background.)

BJ_41.jpg

My favourite though has to be the soft-top GRJ71, replete with sand tyres, plastic seats and wind-up windows.

ST_71_1.jpg

So impressed I took two pictures.

ST_71_2.jpg

Hmmm. Looks like 2011 will have to be the year when I can afford loads of the bloody things...

Hope it's of some interest.

Cheers,

Paul
2008 FZJ76, Dobinson suspension, 225/95 Dunlop TG31s

Apart from being jealous Paul and at the expense of sounding ignorant, what are sand tyres :?:
They look like normal road tyres with high side walls :!:

Hi Ecky,

That's pretty much exaxtly what they are. Dunlop and Sumitomo make loads of noise about the 'rubber compound'. but essentially they are high profile tyres with little treard pattern. Have a look at their website http://www.sumitomotiresuae.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=21&Itemid=43 to confirm.

They come in odd sizes though - 225/95. 245/85. 255/90.

However, it has to be said, even though my wagon looks like it's on bicycle tyres on the road, once they're down at around 20 psi they will go anywhere in the sand.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for posting the photos Paul :thumbup:

Go on make me even more envious, how much does a 76 or 78 cost out there? Could someone just buy one and drive it back to the UK?

Ah, you've started a topic that's very dear to my heart at the moment. They retail at around 19K GBP, less for SWBs and a bit more fore Troopies.

I would love to start shipping them back (even if it involved driving one or two) but they're LHD and GCC-spec, so I don't see them going down well in the UK. (Although GCC-spec gets a heater now, and windscreen washers, so it might not be a bridge too far.)

So how much would forum members be willing to pay for a 70-series? Or a 'poverty-pack' 200?

Nowt, I'd say, because they all have their 'ideal' motors waiting outside. So it won't work, sorry.

Cheers,

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hell of a showroom maybe, but I still don't know how to drive them properly. You need somebody like IRubie or JWildsmith to take you to extremes, show you what an LC can do, and then decide.

cheers,

Pauk

Nice pics and nice to hear from you Paul :)

Hi Jon,

Nice to hear from you too. I have to confess that I was three sheets to the wind the other night, which kind of explains the mad post. Or does it? I wish my laptop had a breathalyser built in...

Back