Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What are the "new" model cruiser chassis codes, forums section here, etc..

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
So owning a 90 and a 120 series I haven't a whole lot of interest in the "newer" models. The one thing I did know or "thought" I knew was that all the newer Landcruisers were 2.8L and I assumed the Hilux were the same. But, it turns out the newer Hilux are 2.4L.

When I say newer I mean from 2010 to 2024. So what are the chasiss codes for the 2015 model cruiser, and is it the same model from 2011 to 2024, from when the 120 ended in 2010?
How come they don't have a sub forum on this forum, I see a 150 and 200 sub forum but I think they're from the 2003-2010 range of cruiser too?

Could someone give me the general lowdown on these 2.8 and 2.4 cruiser and hilux, just basics regarding the model code, engine code and any common issues with these newer smaller engines, or common issues?

They're probably too new for rust spots to be identified but I wonder are their chassis's any better with regard to rust design than the 90 and 120 models.

Blimey, that's a revelation - early 70 series started out with a 2.4 lump which was also in the early Hilux surf, either turbo or non turbo.
Presumably now much more refined all these years later, with no head cracking issues ?

The 150 is up to 2023, when we get the new one it'll be a 250. In the UK we got the new 1GD-FTV engine (2755cc) to replace the 1KD-FTV (2982cc) around mid 2017, although that engine was around elsewhere since 2015.

The Hi-Lux 2393cc engine is a 2GD-FTV, which is just a smaller version of the 1GD-FTV. You can still get the 1GD-FTV in a Hi Lux but only in the top spec models in the UK.

The 150 chassis looks very similar to the 120. From what I can see it's the same paint finish. My 2022 150 came with all of the big holes in the chassis plugged to stop most of the water ingress. I believe Toyota started doing that after a class action in the US for chassis corrosion. I would assume they will rot externally at least just the same. I'd sprayed mine with Lanoguard within 2 hours of the dealer giving me the keys!

That was brilliant thinking/action doing the Lanoguard that early, and will pay dividends if/when you come to sell.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 150 chassis looks very similar to the 120. From what I can see it's the same paint finish. My 2022 150 came with all of the big holes in the chassis plugged to stop most of the water ingress. I believe Toyota started doing that after a class action in the US for chassis corrosion. I would assume they will rot externally at least just the same. I'd sprayed mine with Lanoguard within 2 hours of the dealer giving me the keys!
The chassis will still rot from the inside out due to condensation inside the rails. Hope you stuck some stuff inside anyway, just as inside sills, doors, pillars etc.

The chassis will still rot from the inside out due to condensation inside the rails. Hope you stuck some stuff inside anyway, just as inside sills, doors, pillars etc.
Yep. Inside chassis and sills with Dinitrol cavity wax. Didnt do the doors on the basis my 19 year old 120 is well dissolved everywhere, but untreated doors are spotless.

+1 for my 21 year old 120 having doors in good shape. I've started to inhale and cringe when anyone goes near standing on a step to get in - and it's underbelly makes me a bit sad - but the doors are good. In fact anything you can see without laying down (open or closed) is 100% 98%.

I've been squirting ACF 50 under there for a few years now (got a big bottle for the bikes) - but I've got to be honest it's been too little too late. Damn you Toyota for your negelgent chassis prep - and damn my younger me for not having the common sense to prep and keep prepping it over the years. Well done Rob. I won't make the mistake again (if I'm ever forced to change LCs).

I bought a new Jimny a couple of years ago, and decided I would keep it forever. So made the most of a new car and started doing all the preventative things I wished I could have done on previous cars. Dinitrol everywhere, changing all fluids regularly, making sure no cables or pipes are rubbing etc. anyone thats had an 80 series will know the a/c pipe touches the firewall insulation and rots through. And guess what, the new Jimny also has an ac pipe that touches the insulation, so that has now been bent so it no longer touches.

I bought a new Jimny a couple of years ago, and decided I would keep it forever. So made the most of a new car and started doing all the preventative things I wished I could have done on previous cars. Dinitrol everywhere, changing all fluids regularly, making sure no cables or pipes are rubbing etc. anyone thats had an 80 series will know the a/c pipe touches the firewall insulation and rots through. And guess what, the new Jimny also has an ac pipe that touches the insulation, so that has now been bent so it no longer touches.

Who'd want a Suzuki Jimny, yet alone a new one, yet alone want to preserve it?

Ahh, only joking, each to their own, sure whatever your into! :p :)

Some of my earliest driving lessons as a young kid were on dried up Spanish river beds with my Dad in an old Suzuki Santana SJ 413 (If memory serves) ... and it was the nuts. Those little Jimnys are just as cool. If it wasn't for the low crash test ratings (and the fact I wouldn't fit in one on a trip) there's a chance I'd have one knocking around now. Cheap, capable in a bumpy muddy puddle (for what it is) and good fun. :thumbup:

Certainly beats anything remotely "SUV" with an AWD badge- you know, if you don't want to go round corners in a hurry without tipping over :laughing:

Last edited:
So owning a 90 and a 120 series I haven't a whole lot of interest in the "newer" models. The one thing I did know or "thought" I knew was that all the newer Landcruisers were 2.8L and I assumed the Hilux were the same. But, it turns out the newer Hilux are 2.4L.

When I say newer I mean from 2010 to 2024. So what are the chasiss codes for the 2015 model cruiser, and is it the same model from 2011 to 2024, from when the 120 ended in 2010?
How come they don't have a sub forum on this forum, I see a 150 and 200 sub forum but I think they're from the 2003-2010 range of cruiser too?

Could someone give me the general lowdown on these 2.8 and 2.4 cruiser and hilux, just basics regarding the model code, engine code and any common issues with these newer smaller engines, or common issues?

They're probably too new for rust spots to be identified but I wonder are their chassis's any better with regard to rust design than the 90 and 120 models.
Cruisers have 4.2 l i6 diesel or 4.7 l v8 petrol, which run a million km without any issues. Anything smaller than 4 litres is only half a cruiser, or Medium Duty as TMC calls it. :text-bump:

• Haha
Reactions: Sam
"Light Duty" is how Toyota refers to us 120 folk in their marketing blurb. :icon-rolleyes: .... harsh but fair given the lineage maybe. That's why they only coloured in the underneath with felt tips. Still, keep these 1KD engines in check and they'll keep up with your mileage I reckon :thumbup:

Last edited:
Who'd want a Suzuki Jimny, yet alone a new one, yet alone want to preserve it?

Ahh, only joking, each to their own, sure whatever your into! :p :)

I use my Jimny far more than my LC. Better offroad because its wet where I live and Jimnys don't sink (or slew) as easily. Better in town because there are twice as many places to park, and on the lanes I don't have to wait for LC width gaps to open up with oncoming trafic. LC is for towing and long journeys, and it does those very well.

After years of driving offroad every day,doing competitions organised and private, I've just read that my 120 is classed by Mr.T as 'light duty'!
Ignorance is bliss so you can go for it and see what happens sometimes.
Now he's retired to lighter duties like going to the supermarket,I'm hoping he's the last car I own...

Last edited:
Back